Please Help!

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi. I'm new to this forum. Does anyone out there have the same experience with depression? Because I honestly feel like the only person who feels like this and life feels hopeless. I was a happy, confident, positive person who enjoyed life. For the past 3 months, I've had severe clinical depression and anxiety. Life is hell. I am in hell. I feel suicidal every second of every day. It never stops. The feeling never leaves me. I have an intensely bad feeling in my head, like something is wrong with my brain. It came on suddenly. Every day is a living nightmare. I wake up with shaking legs, a pounding heart, butterflies, adrenaline rushes throughout my body and a feeling of "Oh no, how on earth am I going to get thought the day?" I hardly sleep. I hate going to sleep because I know how I'm going to feel when I wake up. It's torture. I sit at the edge of my bed and can't stop jigging my leg up and down. Every day is unbearable but I have to bear it because I can't commit suicide. I wonder what to do with my day. I've had days where I've stayed in bed and those are horrendous. Or I force myself to get up. Just having a bath is monumentally difficult. Getting dressed is horrible. Doing any housework is terrifying and so difficult. I make myself go out and see people. I don't know how I find the strength to do it but I do. I walk with my partner in the evening. But the feeling never leaves. Early on in the depression, I was able to 'click out'. I'd suddenly feel normal and the depression and anxiety would vanish and I'd be okay for the evening. This happened a few times. I thought I was making headway but then I had a shock. Since then I've been dreadful. I can't ever click out of it and it's with me 24/7, no matter what I do. I've tried diversions - reading, writing, art, talking to people, films, everything, but nothing helps. All the things I used to love, I no longer want to do. I've been on Citalopram for 4.5 weeks but it hasn't kicked in - if anything I feel worse. I've just started CBT - I'm working on my negative thoughts. I feel many times like my head is going to explode. My brain feels ill. If someone talks to me intently for any length of time, my head feels like it's on fire and I am losing my mind. I can't think properly. Perhaps it's the drugs. Who knows. I want my life back. I want me back. I don't know how to do it. How does anyone come back from this? Will I get better? Has anyone else experienced depression in the same way? I'm in hell.

7 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi meteor63,

I know it has been a long time since you posted this but you are the first person that I have read with exactly the same symptoms as me, there is nothing I can do, I have lost so much weight, cant eat, cant sleep and every minute of the day drags. and I too have constant suicidal thoughts. I am so sorry to hear that you have gone through this also, and I would like to know if you got better? and if so how you did that? because nothing so far has worked for me. Thank you and I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hello dontwantaname

I am so sorry you are suffering.

I'm wondering, are you on any meds? Did this all happen to you after taking meds?

I discovered that I was reacting to the citalopram. It had caused me to develop a condition I'd never heard of called akathisia. I had to find this out on my own. Akathisia causes an intense need to move all the time and    a feeling that it's impossible to sit or lie still. This is because of dreadful feelings inside all the time. It's accompanied by intense feelings of doom and darkness and suicidal ideation. It's caused by psych meds. All antidepressants and antipsychotics can cause it. It can happen in withdrawal from meds too.

i got off the citalopram and the psychiatrist said it couldn't possibly be the drug that had done this. He then put me on more meds (sertraline and quetiapine) which made things much worse for me. I got off those and now have severe withdrawal syndrome on top. I eventually found a psychiatrist who said it absolutely was down to the drugs. The previous osychiatrist sort of admitted it in the end, too.

i don't know if this is what has happened to you? I started off with anxiety and depression which happened after I took antibiotics and reacted to them. But then I was getting through. What I did was keep making myself dress and go out. I visited people. I used to go in and out of it. I would have recovered if I had never taken meds.

i just wondered, given your description, if you were either on meds or have stopped any that you were on?

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for such a fast reply!

I am currently on Sertraline 50mg a day, but unlike yourself this did not start when I started taking the meds, I just feel that the meds are making no difference to me. It came on all of a sudden at work and caused me to quit my job the next day and hasn't gone away for a month, but this month feels like it has been about 2 years, just getting through each minute seems impossible.

I really really struggle to get dressed and go out, and when I do I struggle to stay out for more than half an hour, maybe an hour at most. my life feels ruined. I am sorry that you have had to deal with this for so long as it truly is awful.

It is now concerning me what you have said about the meds as the doctor has told me to be persistent and that they take 4 - 6 weeks to start working properly, but reading your experience I feel that maybe I should not stay on them, this is so confusing.

• Posted

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you. Your situation may be different from mine. I did have symptoms before I went on the meds. They were just different from what I have now. I had loads of nausea, derealisation and other stuff.

i wouldn't like to suggest anything regarding your meds. It doesn't sounds like they are affecting you like they did me. I didn't mean to scare you. My situation is different so try not to worry.

do you do anything to distract?

• Posted

Thats fine, I dont think i've read much that hasn't worried me!

and i try my best to distract myself but it is virtually impossible, I am practically bed-bound. I know staying in bed isn't going to solve anything but I feel too weak and tired to do anything, even though I cant sleep.

The doctor isn't really helping either, he told me i'm going crazy and doubled the dose of my sertraline yesterday and gave me temazepam for sleep and recommended 1 tab, i took 3 and still didnt sleep.

I think the worst part of this is that nobody seems to understand, even people that I know that have major depression seem to have different symptoms and say that they dont understand my symptoms

Im really stuck with what to do.

thank you for trying to help I really appreciate it smile

• Posted

Thats fine, I dont think i've read much that hasn't worried me!

and i try my best to distract myself but it is virtually impossible, I am practically bed-bound. I know staying in bed isn't going to solve anything but I feel too weak and tired to do anything, even though I cant sleep.

The doctor isn't really helping either, he told me i'm going crazy and doubled the dose of my sertraline yesterday and gave me temazepam for sleep and recommended 1 tab, i took 3 and still didnt sleep.

I think the worst part of this is that nobody seems to understand, even people that I know that have major depression seem to have different symptoms and say that they dont understand my symptoms

Im really stuck with what to do.

thank you for trying to help I really appreciate it smile

• Posted

I hope I don't offend anyone but I hate how doctors push medication on to people, I know some need helped a lot and saved many lives, but they are filling their bank accounts and I don't think many docs really care about making people better. Do some research on children and ADHD meds, it's crazy, it changes them. I would give anything to help, mind, body and soul, that's not even recognized anymore
    • Posted

Dear Dont,

I feel just this same way & it is so hard to cope. Every day seems like a nightmare. I am constantly thinking about suicide, but then I wonder if I already killed myself and that's why I feel like I'm in hell. I see my loved ones, and I wonder am I in my own personal hell. I can't talk to anyone about this, because I don't want to worry them. I wonder if it's possible to be in a kind of hell in your own mind?

• Posted

Hi dontwantaname I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you ever found any relief from the problems you were having causing you to suffer. I also wondered if anyone has told you that you don't have to necessarily be new to a medication for it to cause side effects. What I mean is you can be on a certain medication at a stable dose for a relatively long period of time & suddenly begin to experience side effects. I understand that typically most side effects are seen when a patient is first introduced to a drug or is prescribed an additional drug or increase in dose of a drug but there are cases where patients developed side effects years after they began the medication prescribed to them.

I'm particularly interested because I've been reading this thread & am very sympathetic to the side effect called akasthesia which the original poster ultimately discovered she had due to a medication prescribed to her. If I hadn't seen her post where she finally figured it out I was going to post ITS AKASTHESIA FROM THE MEDICATION!!!!

I have experienced this side effect myself. I had been prescribed a medication & had successfully taken it for half a year when I suddenly developed severe akasthesia. It was the worst feeling I have ever in my entire life had. I'm a registered nurse & can usually figure out what is wrong with me fairly quickly due to being very knowledgeable in pharmacology & Had no reason to suspect it was the medication I had been taking for so long because like most people I figured if I were going to have side effects from a med they would have presented themselves in the very first/early stages of medication therapy. However there is an exception to every rule which I should have already known but it's very hard if not impossible to think rationally when one is experiencing active akasthesia. Like I said worst thing I have ever ever ever experienced.

Anyway I hope you have improved by now. If there is anything I can help with feel free to ask I will try to lend my expertise & medical experience in helping you figure out which path to take to get some relief.

• Posted

Don't n't know if you believe in God (I hope you do)It sounds to meIe devil is trying Hold you down. If you are still having thelse negative thoughts find a church or speak with someone that does go. depression and suicidal thoughts are of the devil, pray out loud, I really hate that you are so sad and depressed and I wish I could help you,
  • Posted

Don't n't know if you believe in God (I hope you do)It sounds to meIe devil is trying Hold you down. If you are still having thelse negative thoughts find a church or speak with someone that does go. depression and suicidal thoughts are of the devil, pray out loud, I really hate that you are so sad and depressed and I wish I could help you,

• Posted

Thank you so much. I pray, others are praying for me, I have healing, I try everything. I'm told this gets better in time. I'm in touch with others who were severely injured by meds and in time, lots of time, it got better.
  • Posted

I know what your going through, its so difficult to fuction like a normal person when you have all these problems. I really identified with what you said alot and it does feel like your living in a never ending hell. I wish i could be more helpful but the only thing that comes to mind is to keep things simple and take one day at a time. Alot of people do eventually find a medication that helps and they can work on getting their life back.
    • Posted

Thank you Tracey. I'm so sorry you are having a dreadful time too. I can't risk medication as it was medication that did this to me. I didn't know what was happening but I discovered everything I was going through was side effects of the drugs. It all started on antibiotics and citalopram and valium made it all much worse. Then more drugs were added and it kept getting worse. So I'm med free and fighting for my life. Everyone on here is so kind and supportive..I really appreciate it.
    • Posted

All of our problems starts out with maybe headaches or fatigue, we go to a doctor because they are supposed to make us feel better, the doc sends you home with a script for pain pills or depression meds, they have side effects that make us feel worse so we go back, just to be given stronger more addicting meds, after that your life turns into a disaster and we are addicted and screwed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.