Please help

Posted , 16 users are following.

I HAVE HAD A MONO-LIKE VIRUS FOR THREE MONTHS NOW - horrible nausea, feel like I HAVE THE FLU, and the worst fatigue ive ever experienced. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP. BLOODWORK ISNT SAYING ANYTHING BUT I JUST FEEL THE WORST IVE EVER FELT IN MY LIfe. please help me

0 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

has anyone ever had these symptoms without actually being diagnosed with mono?

• Posted

hi lisa,

my blood tests were perfect too and only showed an old EBV and CMV infection. i felt very weak, anxious, body aches, joint pain, night sweats, chills, chest pain, difficulty breathing. i was very sick for 6 months couldnt work... but all my scans and blood work were healthy. relax. its some crazy virus or post viral fatigue .. but you will be better.

i am now back at work full time after gradually and SLOWLY increasing my work hours and stuff i did. when i felt lousy i did nothing. i did accupuncture and saw a naturopath which may have helped, i am not sure. but i want you to know that you are NOW healing just believe in your body to recover because you will!

• Posted

and to clarify how sick i was... i refused to leave the hospital because i felt so sick i was certain i was dying. i couldnt even call a taxi to pick me up.. had no strength to talk.

and i am much better now. some days i feel cruddy but they happen less and less frequently and are less intense.

• Posted

yes i ended up in the er too with this illness and blood tests all fine . i couldnt bekieve it as i felt so ill . it wasnt until something clicked and i demanded an ebv test from my dr. yes it was positive . cant believe the hospital missed it ?????

• Posted

Oh Lori what a time of it you've been through, it's awful when you feel unwell and don't have an explanation for it like you did at first and Lisa has been going through lately, it's such a draining and frightening experience.

There is hope Lori and Lisa and still believing in recovery for both of you, 100% believing in that thanks to Jesus.

Craig

• Posted

I was in the ER twice and they didnt test for mono either! Went to an urgent care 2 days later and after explaining my 5 weeks of illness the physician assistant immediately did the monospot test he said he couldn't imagine it not being positive and it was! I had tested positive for strep at one of the ER trips about 2 weeks before. I did the extra blood work too and I learned thru a ton of research how skewed the blood testing is depending where you're at in the illness. I had positive monospot, negative early infection in blood (bc I was past 2 to 4 weeks of onset), positive for past or recent infection, and negative for having entered the recovery phase. I found out 10-20% of people never develop the EBNA antibodies for whatever reason so I may never show positive on that.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

So sorry to hear you have been going through such a tough time with a mono-like illness the last three months. Really empathising having went through mono myself a number of years ago.

I can only imagine how frustrating and distressing it must be when you are feeling this way and can't get a firm diagnosis. You've done all the right things by getting blood tests and although frustrating it is a good sign that things showing clear, hopefully it is some reassurance to you.

I know with mono it is often only the first few weeks of the symptoms that it really shows positive in a blood test, for example I was diagnosed but after 3 months or so I think I had another blood test and it showed normal again, even though I was still feeling unwell and having all the awful symptoms of mono. I have read accounts of many people on the forums who have went through the same similar awful experience of going through this type of illness / symptoms without having a firm diagnosis, which must be so awful and frustrating. One thing I do think that the blood tests can show (although I'm no expert) is if you have had a past infection for EBV (virus which causes mono), even if it's not currently showing positive, so many worth asking the doctor about that perhaps.

Whether is it mono or a similar type virus / illness Lisa, want to reassure you that things with these type of viruses do get better with time. For me it took a number of months to get over and back to full health, it was an awful time and I found it so hard to cope with, had terrible fatigue, low grade fever, feeling wiped out and just generally unwell - the first 3-4 months in my experienced were BY FAR the worst and although it still took some time for full recovery after that, the intensity did lessen and recovery did come with time, thanks to God only. I truly believe you are going to get through this and get well again Lisa, just hang in there and cope with one day at a time, get plenty of rest and remove stress as much as possible - if that means taking a back step from work, studies, other stresses of life for a while, please do that Lisa - I had to be off work for quite a while with this but did get back again once feeling better again thanks to God.

Taking vitamins and herbs helped me during recovery from this thing, would recommend a good strong multi-vitamin per day (Immunace Extra here in the UK is the one I find really good), a B complex vitamin per day and/or Co-enzyme Q10 (great for energy levels and nervous system), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinacea. Again of course I'm no expert on these things and always wise to look into any supplements before starting to take them, checking if there are any interactions with medications, other conditions, etc, and that not exceeding the maximum daily recommended dose with anything.

Thinking about you Lisa, the anxiety and depression caused by these types of illnesses really is awful, it affected me badly and it knocked my confidence which again takes time to rebuild. But just want you to know there is hope, if it is mono or something of a similar ilk, that it is normal for it to take this course and to feel like this for a number of months but then go on to make a full and complete recovery - so don't panic if recovery isn't overnight or instant, because you WILL get there with some time and giving yourself plenty of rest and space to recover. Pushing through with this thing is not usually a good idea, it really needs rest and your body needs time to recover and get its strength back (which it will!).

The guys on the forum here are great for offering encouragement and good advice Lisa, so definitely a good place to come to chat with others who understand and have an idea of what you are going through. Message any time.

Craig

• Posted

I HAVE NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH MONO BUT I FEEL ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY - horrendous nausea- fatigue- and just a general feeling of unwellness. ITS BEEN THREE MONTHS AND IM JUST VERY DISCOURAGED. PLEASE HELP.

• Posted

can you get more tests ? it does sound like epstein barr as ive been horrible for 9 months and last 3 months very bad .

ive cried out loud as the feeling was and is so bad .

i have seen a shift in drinking celery juice every day ...i blend it add 2 glasses of water then strain it through a sieve . im also doing ginger shots from a local juice place as i dont have a juicer just a blender.

dont worry we all know exactly the HORROR that you are going through ... ive never felt so lost and ill in all my life its HORRENDOUS.

please get the tests !!!

• Posted

i did get epstein bar test and it came out negative.

• Posted

Oh Lisa so sorry you're going through this, it is only understandable you are feeling so weary and down about it all. I know it's hard and frustrating but definitely do keep going back to and checking in with the doctors when feeling like this, even asking them if there is blood tests for any similar type viruses to EBV (things like CMV, toxoplasmosis (which worth checking for if you have cats or anything I think)), although I know they may have already done these tests. But don't hesitate to keep visiting and seeking help from the doctor Lisa, and to go along with someone you trust as it can be hard to go on your own when struggling so much and not sure how to describe it all.

If it is mono or a similar type virus Lisa, for sure this will get better and it most definitely is normal to feel this way for a few months and then go on and make a full recovery - it took me some time when I had EBV but thanks to God did get there and recover - and I do believe you will too Lisa. Just hoping and praying for you to be feeling much better soon and remember just take it one day at a time and do keep checking in with the doc. Thinking about you and will keep you in my prayers.

Craig

• Posted

And remember you can message any time Lisa, even privately or just on the forum threads or whatever, it's a good place just to come and share how you're feeling with others that have been through similar mono or mono-type experiences - and remember you WILL get through this and get better, God is good and is a healer.

Craig

• Posted

Oh God bless you too Lisa, going through some ups and downs myself right now, needing God's help in my life too - praying so much He helps us all and gets us through the things we are dealing with - He is faithful Lisa and is going to get you well again, I truly have faith in that and believe that. Thinking about you and hoping you are coping okay today.

Craig

• Posted

so, I was sick for an entire year and a half with the most horrible feeling of nausea, brain fog, anxiety, and generally ill-feeling like the flu. It turned out to be both EBV and CMV. Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus. They are all part of the herpes family and will make you feel absolutely terrible. Since then I have had up and down issues with my thyroid. This virus never leaves your body so your immune system is constantly attacking it. I have kept mine at Bay with a strict diet change and supplements. I literally could not get out of bed and missed about six months worth of work. It is the most sick and dark time of my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.