Pre-op Assesment nightmare.....

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all, today finds me to be not in a very good place at all.....

Went for my Pre-Op assessment this morning, the usual blood pressure, ECG, blood work, MRSA swabs etc.Blood Pressure showing high, as it has been for a couple of months, and I have been taking meds for it, and beibg monitered by my GP. Actually got the numbers down at the past 2 readings that she did.

Met with a Registrar, and also the Anaesthetist, Stan. Stan and I had a good chat about what my options are follwing a failed (and, for me, traumatic) Spinal at my first TKR in March. He was happy to go straight to General Anaesthetic with me, as the thought of another Spinal is stressing me out. We even discussed whether I should take my Blood Pressure medication on the morning of the surgery. Confirmed that I will have a catheter placed, the same as last time, and told me he'd see me on Thursday.

Waited around a bit longer, and a Healthcare Assistant-type nurse came in to check that everything had been done, and to tell me I could go home. She then looked at my BP figures, and took a 3rd reading, which was still coming in elevated. At which point she said "Thats too high for us here, ITLL HAVE TO BE CANCELLED!!" Bearing in mind not 30 minutes previously Id been talking to the Anaesthetist himslef and he was aware of my numbers! She then started going on about having my BP read at my GP surgery and phoning in the result (Phone in? No confirmation required from the GP?) and if it was still high then I would need to get 3 separate readings on 3 separate days, before they could look at rescheduling! I explained that my surgery is scheduled for Thursday, and she just shrugged.

Needless to say I burst into tears (have barely stopped since to be honest....) gathered my belongings and headed off to the loo. On my way there, the Staff Nurse who had done the majority of my Pre-Op work saw me, asked if I was ok, at which point the "bad news nurse" said no, shes upset cos her blood pressures up and her ops got to be cancelled". Look of disbelief from Staff Nurse Denise, who told me to hang on, and she would go and have a word with Stan. i locked myself in the loo and tried to sort myself out (fat chance of that!!). when I came out, Denise told me that I was stil to go in on Thursday morning, but it was important that I get my BP read at my GP's before I go in. 

I managed to get an appointment to see a Nurse at my GP surgery a couple of hours later, and she also "thinks" that its "probably" too high, but only took one reading as my Anaesthetist appeared to be happy! Going to have it done tomorrow and also Wednesday, and then Thursday arrives. With me not really knowing if the surgery is going to take place or not. 

I thought Id just about reached rock bottom a few days ago, been very emotional and stressed, but had started to come out of the other side (especially after reading how well Cheryl is doing after knee #2!). Now Im worse than ever, cant stop crying, feel sick, and havent got a clue whats going to happen!

To anyone still reading (sorry its so long), thank you. I guess you guys are the only ones who will understand how bad this feels.......

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Terri

I've just had a PKR but the reason I'm writing here is because my hubbie had surgery on his prostate earlier this year (yes, I can't wait to see the back of 2015) and he had similar problems to you, high blood pressure, but his is due to White Coat Syndrome.  When ANYONE comes near him to take his BP it goes through the roof, so they gave him medication to bring it down.  I see you are taking meds, should they be changed?  We were actually quite concerned about him taking the medication seeing as he doesn't ACTUALLY have high BP (we know this because he's had a 24 hr monitor in the past, but it was 2 years ago and so they couldn't use those results).  Since the op he has stopped taking the meds.

What you have been through is not helping your BP I'm sure.  I can't believe they can't alter your meds.  Good luck with all this, very stressful.

• Posted

Ironically, I was joking about White Coat Syndrome with Stan (the Anaesthetist). 

If surgery does end up getting cancelled, then I'll have to see my GP about maybe changing my meds, but time will tell.....

Thanks for taking the time to post xx

• Posted

Well, from all that happened I would be SURPRISED if your blood pressure was normal! I know MINE would be through the roof--BP meds or not!

I am SO SORRY that you are having to go through all this craziness! Things were looking great for your positive outlook. You were READY!!!

I guess the best thing is to take a step back, BREATHE, get yourself in your calm place and WAIT. Maybe they are seeing a pattern of BP issues that need to be addressed BEFORE moving forward on surgery. Maybe there are indicators that surgery could be dangerous to you right now.

Think: SAFETY.

Think: Caution.

I do believe that there are reasons why things happen as they do. We don't know the reasons, of course, but we can try to remain calm and wait for things to play out for us.

I will pray for your sense of peace as you deal with this today.

Please keep posting and send me a PM anytime if you want to.

Everything will be OK.

• Posted

Thank you so much Cheryl, you always seem to have a way of saying the right thing at the right time.....

Once Id got home and calmed down a bit, the "safety first" started to filter through a bit - its IS a massive operation, there ARE risks, and NOTHING can be guaranteed 100%. 

Ive been rushing round like a demented fool for the past couple of weeks, getting the house ready, exercising LOADS to get as strong as possible - I think I'm taking the next 2 days off, and just trying to regroup. 

And to be honest, the thing I say to my friends and family more than anything else is "Everthing happens for a reason!. SO many times it has proved to be correct, guess I'm going to have to have the courage of my own convictions now. 

Thank you for your kindness and your wise words xx

• Posted

So glad that you are feeling calmer! It is very hard to BE calm, but if you can achieve it, things seem to sort themselves out easier.

Good idea to plan a relaxing couple of days! The body reacts to our emotional upsets even if we THINK we are OK.

People tell me I am always so calm. I APPEAR calm because I internalize so much. Probably all those years teaching first and second grade when I HAD to act calm no matter what. I often have to do self talk to get myself as calm REALLY as I APPEAR to others.

I DO see great value in being an emotional , feeling individual, though. We experience wonderful things that others never get to experience. It comes with a price, however...high BP, or ulcers, or loss of sleep or other things.

Life is so amazing! May we all GET THROUGH IT in the happiest and best way possible!

Enjoy EVERY relaxing moment!

• Posted

Or i hope everg thing is ok and it goes a head nothing worse xx
    • Posted

Thanks Dorothy, everyone on here is doing a splendid job of bringing me back down out of the rafters so I can try and relax now. xx
  • Posted

Terri: seriously consider the meditation, affirmations and relaxing music CDs  that someone recommended. I bought a surgery meditation cd and downloaded it onto my iPod along with healing music.  The day of my surgery I was a mess so I put my headphones on and listened especially to the surgery affirmations. I continued listening during the drive to the hospital and thru pre-op, then had to leave the iPod with my husband. My BP was 110/70 which was low for me especially since I had been so anxious. Many of these are available free so Maybe listen to a few now to see if they help you too.
  • Posted

You need this opportunity to vent and have no need to to even think about an apology. There is a condition called "white coat syndrome". Simply put, when you get around medical people and they start probing and pushing and doing their thing, your blood pressure shoots up. Its very real but not dangerous. If you had a home bp machine it probably wouldnt happen. Lie down with a cold compress on your forehead, put on some relaxing music. I have medically controlled bp and they have never worried about surgery. Sometimes a nurse trying to be a Dr is such a nuisance you just want to tell them to take the data and talk to the Dr then let him make the decision. I recently had the surgeons new nurse tell me he wouldnt order a refill on my pain meds as I was too far past surgery and would have to talk to my primary care. I was courteous but explained the Dr and I had an agreement because of the number of surgeries and my rather unusual situation. Apparently she did ask and in an hour called back and said absolutely I could continue to get the pain meds I needed. You hate to go over someone's head but there are times you have to. Hope you are feeling better and things are calming down. You've been through he'll already and you certainly don't need some twit making the fire hotter.
    • Posted

Thanks OFG, I completely agree about a nurse trying to be a doctor! I'm sure they think they're doing the right thing, but sometimes they're REALLY not!

In the end, it'll be what it'll be, but I think on Thursday I will insist on speaking to the Organ Grinder, NOT the Monkey!

• Posted

Hi Terri

So sorry to hear that what should have been a straightforward appointment was so stressful for you.  I do wonder at some of the training these healthcare assistants receive (or don't receive!).  How insensitive of her.  I hope that when you feel a bit better you will make some noise about this.

Has your GP not been monitoring your BP and changing your meds to improve it.

I wish you all the best for Thursday.

We are all here, whenever you want to rant!

Take care

Patsy

• Posted

Thanks, my GP had been monitoring with regular checks, although I've only been on BP meds for a couple of months. The lady time I saw her, 2 weeks ago, it was at a level she considered acceptable for surgery.......

I think I may have to make some noise about this a bit further down the line - the same department made a huge cock up in March as well, when I went for my pre op for knee #1!

• Posted

The day of my op the nurses kept saying my bp was high but put it down to being anxious the anestatist didn't seem too concerned I had spinal and sedation hope your op does go ahead on Thursday I'm having my X-rays on  13th nov so hopefully won't have to wait too long after that am in so much pain now x
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon, it helps to hear that others have experienced the Nurses of Doom and come through it ok!

I really hope that you get your date through soon xx

• Posted

Oh Terri what a horrible day!  Now, make sure that from now until the op you do everything you can to keep your blood pressure down  You may very well be one of those people whose blood pressure leaps up at the sight of a doctor . . but I imagine you are already not using any salt, or salt substitute, no coffee, alcohol (dammit) etc. etc. . . the herbal bath sounds like a good idea, . . . pointless to tell you not to worry, because what can you do but worry . . but if your bp is consistently high, then maybe the doc needs to looks at your medications.  i was consistently around 190/ 90 , even jumping to 210/100  . . until they put me on three different tablets, and now I'm usually around 120/70 . . . I know it's a bit late for that now. . . .I hope you're able to go ahead with the op in the end. . a delay now is horrible for you.  good luck!
    • Posted

Hehe I agree, big dammit to no wine tonight! But next best thing, I'm feet up on a pouffe, lovely soft blanket, glass of sugar free fizzy orange, and 4 cats vying for pole position on my lap! They always know when I'm feeling upset and are like little furry therapists!

I'm seeing my GP on Wednesday for one final reading, so will have a chat with her about what happens next bp doesn't come down.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, with each message I'm getting calmer and calmer.

• Posted

Four cats just HAS to be good therapy!  Nothing like smoothing a cat to bring the BP down!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.