Prednisone side effects

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have been on 60mg of prednisone for two weeks now. I keep having trouble with a rapid heart beat often times over 120bpm and my blood pressure is running high. When your heart beats so fast, it's scarey and hard to breathe. I feel like I am literally going to die. Has anyone else experienced this when on prednisone?

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi - yes I still have raised pulse episodes and also high BP.

I have GCA and have been on prednisolone for going on 3 years - at 8,75 mg daily now and in the middle of a slow taper with fingers crossed!!

It is worrying when your pulse suddenly starts hammering away - pretty much a daily occurence and for no apparent reason - breathlessness also occurs - not neccessarily at the same time.

I have had heart and lungs checked and they are fine, both my GP and rheumy are aware of the situation but since all tests have come back showing no problems they seem to not worry.

Apart from the blood tests to monitor the GCA progress and how my body is coping with the meds I also go to a control once every 3 months or so for cholesterol, BP and blood sugar -

Make sure you are getting regular checks and you will feel less worried.

• Posted

kkmcclendon, yes it is quite common to experience high BP and palpitations especially on the higher doses of Pred.  See your GP as soon as possible to see whether you need some blood pressure medication or similar for a short while.  Meanwhile, avoid all caffeine drinks and alcohol which can further aggravate the situation.
    • Posted

Hello everyone, sorry to hijack this thread, but just to let you know that christina66394 has been changed to tina-uk cwall. Hopefully like Mrs O it helps with location. I will also be signing off with tina from now on. Regards, tina
    • Posted

Not sure I can cope with that - you'd better sign off with both for a while ;-)

Anone else having trouble with the emoticons?

I'm about to disappear again - internet will be sporadic for a while. For goodness sake - can you find me some half-decent weather in the UK for the next couple of weeks?

• Posted

Poor Eileen!  You're still sweltering, aren't you?  Nice 20-23 dregs here.  Just in time for a late Leo.
    • Posted

No, not really - it was comfortable at 25/26C this weekend. And not a great deal of sun. Been warmer in Bozen, hovering around 30C, it's almost always about 4C warmer down there.

Really not looking forward to rain and wind and below 20C even in the south! Don't mind the coolth, its the rainth and windth I can't stand!

• Posted

winkDoesn't look as though it's a general problem with the emoticons, Eileen.  Wish I could say the same about the weather though, especially as you are due over here.  It sounds as though you have a packed schedule already so don't suppose Chertsey is having a second visit? They're recommending alternative routes avoiding Calais in the news today.
    • Posted

you want a lot its be hissing it down here all bloody day, bring some sun pleasebiggrin
    • Posted

It's OK - they're back lol

We have gone to great expense to avoid Calais! Coming Hook of Holland to Harwich and back Portsmouth to Le Havre. We aren't staying with David's SIL, just visiting as she is in the middle of chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer. And because of all that, although Chertsey was on my menu originally (coming to the south first like last year) and it would have been very possible - or at least lunch with you and Lizzie-Ellen - on the morning of the11th I shall be in Preston, on my way back down from Scotland and I don't think getting to Chertsey for 11am is on cry  However - all being well we're having breakfst with someone in Gatehead - I know you know how unusual it is to find her up at that hour! 

• Posted

I will do my best to drag it with me! It has just been the hottest month ever since records began 150 years ago - by some. We could spare it cool cheesygrin
    • Posted

Yes, that was one of the routes recommended in today's paper.  It'll be worth the extra pennies to avoid the chaos in Calais.

Oh, the end of your post has just had me laughing out loud - I hope she has a couple of good alarm clocks 'cos nothing wakes her!  Do give her a hug from me, and don't lose your voices over breakfast!smile

• Posted

She claims she'd get up at 5am for the pleasure - I have no intention of being there that early but do you think she'll make 9am? frown
    • Posted

That isn't the emoticon I clicked!!!!! rolleyes
    • Posted

Ummm?!  Yes, of course she will - I'll give her an alarm call!   She'll be on here giving us a piece of her mind in a minute!lol
    • Posted

You two are are awful (in the words of the immortal ????????? can't remember his name and I cannot blame steroid brain fog or treacle brain).   I can blame a new freezer being delivered today mind. 

I actually had to get up at 7am today because they said they would ring at that time and tell me when they were coming.  I b****y got up and they did not ring till 9am to tell me they would be here at 4.15pm grrrrrrrrr.

Never mind, I enjoyed the rain hissing down and the central heating going full blast.

Bring better weather with you - pretty pleasecool  No not sunglasses they are to keep the stair rods out of my eyes smile

• Posted

Name change Tina!  Are you in trouble with the law?  Ha Ha.  Well, change duly noted, though it's quite a mouthful . . . Hope you're keeping well. J
    • Posted

Hello Juno, I thought I'd copy everyone else, by adding the country and county where I reside only my name was too long and I couldn't fit it all in so I shortened my name to tina. You are all very privileged as only my friends get to call me tina, but then I do class you all as my friends, helping me through this rotten period - which is more than some of my so called friends are doing! Thanks to everyone, Tina
    • Posted

Well you and others have helped lots of us through our PMR problems. It means so much to have a kind and competent listening ear. . . .  

PS. While name-honesty is the order of the day, my name above is that of my beloved dog - and the date of her birthday !!   x

• Posted

Yes Juno, I remember our pm's well. I hope you had a great rest at the cottage and have you thought more about getting another little Juno? Regards, tina
    • Posted

Dick Emery! "You are awful but I like you" -  and I do!smile 

Hope the lovely new freezer makes up for the unnecessary early morning - big lie-in tomorrow!wink

• Posted

Mandy/Dick Emery cheesygrin

No we're not. lol

That was good practice - see you for breakfast next week - the 5th I think. idea 

I'll do my best - but not promising anything...

• Posted

Still thinking Tina. Husband not convinced. Had a good fortnight in the cottage - weather not great, heat on, big fires - like the middle of Autumn really. Beach walks were good - if you were wrapped up well!!   Will have to have another try later in August. Hope you weren't too busy with your guests and have had some relaxing time also.   T  x
    • Posted

Hello Thelma, sometimes a change is as good as a rest, and although the weather wasn't great, it definitely sounds as if you had a change. 

Presently it's all go with the cottages from now until October especially changeover day but I make sure I take things easier for the rest of the week with my gentle weeding and knitting, daily Katie walks and our one day a week outing which normally includes a 5 mile(ish) walk or so. I'm still losing weight on my low(ish) carb diet, slowly but surely.

on Saturday I begin my dead slow and almost stop from 8mgs to 7.5 so I've cleared the decks, well as much as I can, for the next 2 weeks.

i hope all is well with you and your pmr is where it should be, out of sight and out of mind!! All the best, tina

• Posted

Lord, where do you get the energy? I definately wouldn't be able for all that.  Glad to hear you're taking a break for the Pred. 'reduction'. I'm at the end of the 4.5 to 4.0 stage at present and have been lucky so far but, after a recent bone scan I have to start a 2nd. year on the daily Forteo injections. Bit depressed about that but my sister ( a doctor) told me to just " get over yourself "!  It worked, and I did. So, onwards and downwards for you and upwards for my bone scores. . . .  Life's great - especially when compared with the alternative.  Take care, T
    • Posted

Yes, you are so right, but a bugger nevertheless re the recent bone scans. I know that we often need a good telling off to get us back on track but the occasional cuddles are nice too. Good luck with your next reduction. Best wishes, tina
    • Posted

Please drop some of that sunshine off in Chorley on your way down from Scotland, we are next to Preston. I am coming to Italy in September, can't wait for that lovely warm sunshine.
    • Posted

GM70

Are you a member of PMR & GCA the North West Support group?

• Posted

I didn't know there was a North West support group. I will 'Google' it. Thank you for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.