Prednisone side effects

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have been on 60mg of prednisone for two weeks now. I keep having trouble with a rapid heart beat often times over 120bpm and my blood pressure is running high. When your heart beats so fast, it's scarey and hard to breathe. I feel like I am literally going to die. Has anyone else experienced this when on prednisone?

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have described my experience with side effects of Pred. on the Zero Pred. thread so won't repeat here but it might be relevant to your query.  Hope it might be encouraging.

• Posted

As the others have - said do make sure your GP is aware and has checked it out. Both are side-effects of pred and are often dismissed as such but I have atrial fibrillation which was most likely caused by the autoimmune part of GCA/PMR.

If you feel really ill with it or it lasts for very long don't hesitate to call the emergency medical services whatever they are where you live. Even if it IS due to pred, a fast heart rate for very long is not good for anyone and can be dangerous - better calling them once too many than once too few.

• Posted

What finally drove me to my GP was a heart rhythm problem prior to diagnosis. Now I am on prednisolone it has settled reasonably well but I also cut out caffeine completely. I also noticed a racing heart prior to diagnosis but nobody seems concerned about it and it'still there. I had a heart rhythm problem when I had ME over 25 years ago but didn't have it checked. GP said I need to get to surgery or hospital to have it checked when it is happening! Last time it happened they were both closed. Heart monitor would need to be on for days. I asked about tests in general when taking steroids but nothing was suggested except BP x 2 annually.I have decided to go with the flow but I understand your concern and agree with the others that you should have it checked out.
    • Posted

Does it last long enough to call the emergency services? In the UK the quickest way to get an ECG done is to dial 999! My GP told me to do that if my palpitations lasted long enough to be upsetting - crackers I thought but he was right. My daughter is a paramedic and she told me I'd have been one of her "blue lights and get the hell out of here" patients. Nice I thought!
    • Posted

Still trying to get the hang of posting. Just realised what to do. I'm sorry but I have replied to you on kkmcclendon's post. I hope you can see it as I don't know how to 'cut and past' it to you!
  • Posted

Thank you, Eileen H. I did call Nhs 24 one early morning and they advised 999 if I had any other symptoms or concerns but it settled. Another evening it lasted for hours and was irregular. I just decided to go to bed and try to get to sleep. I thought well if I don't waken it would be someone else's problem to clear up the mess!😀😀
    • Posted

The time it lasted a long time and was irregular you should have called 999 - they would have had an ECG done in minutes, unless of course you are in the back of beyond in Scotland! If you feel sweaty or clammy or any other strange feeling - dial 999 straight away.

I don't think most of us are so precious that we are going to complain where you post - and I read every post that comes in to this forum anyway. Luckily I was able to get at the forum while we were in China - because I had over 600 notifications when I came back for the 2 forums - but even so, all have been read! 

• Posted

Thank you, Eileen H. Yes, with hindsight, I should have. We are not 

off the beaten track but ambulances are quite scattered in this area so may have had a long wait. I just thought it would go away and would then be a waste of their time!

• Posted

Eileen H. I notice you are coming to Scotland. Waterproof boots, thermals and woollens are needed. And that's just for bedtime!!!! I hope you have a nice time and we are overdue some heat so you may get lucky!
    • Posted

Ach - it'll be fine! I have everything from jeans and a thick cardigan to shorts. It's only Rosyth, Edinburgh is remarkably mild most of the time. Where are you?
    • Posted

I live in Perthshire.. There's something round and yellow in the sky today and I've removed my thermals!! Only joking about the thermals. It's a pleasantly warm day.
    • Posted

Where in Perthshire? I used to live in Meigle - my best friend lived in Coupar Angus, which is in Perthshire!
    • Posted

Blairgowrie. How amazing. Know the area well as you will if you lived in Meigle. One of my friends is originally from Coupar Angus.
    • Posted

My daughters went to school in Blair and my mother-in-law died in the cottage hospital. We went to the Episcopal Church and I did RDA at the riding school.

Wonder if we have ever met..

• Posted

Brain slipped out of gear - you know there is a support group in Dundee? And an excellent Scottish website?
    • Posted

How long ago is it since your daughters went to school in Blair.?A number of my friends are teachers (now retired) who taught in the local schools. I have a friend who does RDA in Perth. 
    • Posted

Yes, thank you. I was aware but had no plans to go. I have quite a busy life and am trying to pace myself which I find difficult. I will keep it in mind.
    • Posted

Maybe the booklet called 'Living with PMR & GCA' would help you?
    • Posted

They're in their mid-30s now. Nasty thought that really...

• Posted

Yes, I know what you mean. Are you planning to be any further north than Edinburgh? It sounds like you have a busy schedule. 

• Posted

I doubt it - not much time! Might make it to my brother - but it will depend on his shifts. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.