Premique Low Dose - Not in stock anywhere?

Posted , 41 users are following.

After many years on Premique Low Dose, I now find it is not in stock at any Chemists. Is anyone else having the same problem? If so, is there a similar HRT I can change to?

8 likes, 212 replies

212 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, Just had the same problem. Pharmacist could not fulfill all my prescription. What alternative were you prescribed? Really got on well with Premique so hope there is something similar available..
    • Posted

Hi, I'm now on Femotron 0.5mg, although get mild flushes and my Achilles tendonitis has returned. I'm wondering which hormones are not in this medication, compared to Premique.
    • Posted

I was prescribed Kliovance 1mg/0.5mg film coated tablets as an alternative to Premique low dose HRT.
  • Posted

My GP has now given me a prescription for Premique, but a higher dose and advised me to take one on alternative days. I will see how it goes.
  • Posted

Hi all

Has anyone managed to find a suitable alternative to the low dose Premique? this is the first time I have not been able to get it. I need low levels of Eostrogen but higher doses of progesterone. I did source some on the internet but it was the higher dose and I don't want to risk that. Any advice would be most welcome. 

• Posted

Sandra, I was prescribed Kliovance 1mg/0.5mg film coated tablets as an alternative to Premique HRT, so far they seem to work.
    • Posted

good morning and thank you for that, I will call and speak with my GP today, although after a long discussion with him yesterday he's prescribed Premarin as 2 pills, (made by the same manufacturer) but broken down he said it's the same formula as the Premique low dose, I will try it and if it doesn't work I'll go back with your recommendation.

He was impressed with this forum as a helpful method for those of us who are able to chat about various issues so thanks again. sandra 

• Posted

Good luck Sandra and yes, please let us know on the forum if your alternative does work.biggrin
  • Posted

Left with 2 weeks supply of Kliovance so have rung round various chemists in Hampshire. No stock of low dose Premique anywhere. Perhaps we should start a petition to the manufacturers in Kent.
  • Posted

I think the least they could do is give everyone an explanation as to why it's discontinued.
    • Posted

I'm guessing it's all to do with the controversy involving the source of the oestrogen - the urine of pregnant Mares.
  • Posted

What in find annoying about Premique is that my GP is still prescribing the low dose. Then you go to the chemist, pay the charge to be told it is out of stock. When I rang Kent, I asked them if they alerted all GP!s to this and they said definitely yes. They could not understand why some GP's are still prescribing it. For me it's a blow as the Premique was absolutely fine. The Kliovance I am on now is ok but I get breakthrough bleeds lasting a couple of days at most. Also my aching joints have resurfaced on this too.
  • Posted

I actually told the practice nurse at my surgery about this forum and she said call me if you are unable to get Premique and we'll prescribe something else, Tesco pharmacy took my prescription and said it would be in later that day, then they said they had called two other stores and they couldn't get it, I called Boots and Lloyds Pharmacies and they said 'you won't be able to get it anywhere'. I called my GP back and they spent 20 minutes on the phone going through alternatives and eventually I have been given Noresthistone 5mg and Premarin 0.3mg which I have been told are exactly the same break down as the Premique low dose but as two separate pills, I start them Monday so will let you know how it goes.

• Posted

Do let me know how you manage with the 2 combined . Good luck
    • Posted

Is premique full strength still available? If yes can't they be cut in half ? Any ideas???
    • Posted

Yes they are available. I was on the low dose for years but now have been prescribed the full strength to take on altenative days. Not started yet but will see how I get on.
    • Posted

What quantity of each do you take, any side effects yet??
    • Posted

I tried taking the two tabs Sandra but had breakthrough bleeding and severe breast tension. I'm now on Indivina and after initial period symptoms, it's all settled down and I'm feeling ok now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.