Private or not

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi has anyone gone private to see a psychiatrist I'm thinking of doing this as I'm really fed up of feeling so low and depressed been on meds 20 years and yet again been swapped to another med which is mirts just had a crying fit it's day 2 and been so tired and eating none stop

Do you think local gp has any idea what they doing ?

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm being treated privately by PDrs in Singapore, I have seen 3. All they do is diagnose the problem then put you on meds! They do not get into deep discussions only support meds and how their working for you. Here they even sell them so it's all about money and gaining / keeping clients!!! For myself I think just sedatives would have helped, but now I'm stuck on Remeron which I have began to taper down. It sounds like you have an ongoing condition and your fed up with your current support. Tharapist are likely a way forward rather than PDrs. I read so much on these forums and these med's are too easily prescribed to people who could likely get by with something less.  Not sure I helped and perhaps PDrs are different where you are. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi Norman I agree they don't get to the bro elm that has caused it. I recommend cognitive behavioural therapy, got a book called CBT for dummies and it has loads of info and ways to cope and move on. As for tablets I think we are the only people who know hoe they affect us! Good luck
    • Posted

Thks Norman that really helps what you've said I will try getting the book if amazon I did have CBT a while ago I have leaflets somewhere will have to dig them out 

Gonna stay on these mirts a while longer it's only day 3 but really thought about stopping them how low I felt last night but can't believe the difference now 

I feel well enough today to get busy so will do biggrin

• Posted

Wow! So much good feedback! That realy gave me a boost, thank you so much! Isn't it strange peoples different perceptions on things, you guys look at me in Malaysia with all the sunshine and warm, beutiful weather, right? In reality yes very sunny most the time and very hot, but living day to day it's too much, to go for a walk has to be early morning or late evening, Mosquitos are also less then as well as the heat. We have water shortage so water is cut of 2 days of 2 days on, imagine no water! I love it here when it rains or cloudy as it's much cooler and reminds me of England,  I miss the UK v much, especially Tesco where I can buy real food, ha ha. I come from Fareham near Portsmouth, not been back for nearly 5 years. When I'm over this depression and dark time I will go back. So you see, grass is greener and all that. 
    • Posted

You forgot the humidity, I only want sun but when I was really bad couldn't even go out the dood to be in it. This is great for all of us, no matter how bad we feel we have our own therapy group on tap, how good is that. Much better than over paid shrinks giving out pills! Rock on us
    • Posted

Yes, miserable thing loves other miserable thing to be happy! Ha ha! Yes,  good company and a common problem is always welcome, please stay in contact, tell me more about yourselves and your problems, if ok? I found an online link to a freed PDF CBT for Dummies 2nd edition if interested, but best contact me directly as I may infringe upon the rules here if I post it. I've been reading it for hrs as can relate to it especially chapter on depression, gives loads of explanations and tools to overcome problems. Take care out there.
    • Posted

Glad you find the book interesting, it was like reading about me depression and anziety and have some useful ways to cope. When my thoughts go mad I put them in a bin that looks like a post box to be posted to the correct place not my head! The body map was very interesting how did they know how I felt, also destruction works for me.keep chatting. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi I have a nephew who lives in Portsmouth and yes I can imagine it must be nice for you to have rain thks for reminding us don't think I would like it hot all the time always want what we can't have confused
    • Posted

hI had the day from hell yesterday suicidal had to have a drink to calm me down again lost it with partner told him to move out shouted at lads most of the day I'm coming off it I've got to see gp 11.30 today hope your ok x
    • Posted

Oh dear I was really angry as well over the weekend but only had things to shout at, maybe a good thing! I have been to doctors this morning and am staying on it as I feel calmer today. Going to see him reminded me of how bad I was. The impact on your family is very important but so are you! Do they support you as much as they can or expect you to pull yourself together, which is impossible. You were bad when we spoke and then went swimming the next day, this forum is helping me more than anything. Want to find me now but I have not got the pressures of a family in house. Good luck at GPs let me know how you get on. Take care JudithJudith
    • Posted

Hi Di, must be something in the water as I had bad time this morning, woke early, tried CBT to get back to sleep, got into many spins, the worst thoughts came to me! I'm currently tapering off Mirtz and dealing with withdrawel symptoms, since starting the med my knees have gone bad and my throat also ver bad, been suffering, my wife very supportive but she's finding it very hard to cope with me, do you guys have any advice for her? Really appreciate you both here. Take care
    • Posted

That's what I am afraid of the side effects are awfull. The best thing I think for your wife is to talk either to us or somebody else out of the family. I also think she needs to be a bit hard and try to enjoy things without you. That may sound harsh but for me I was felt better if the people I love enjoyed there lives and didn't feel guilty. I may envy them but would hate their lives to stop. Maybe one day I can join in and have fun too without beibg terrified. CBT is great but sometimes with things like social events I don't think going when all you want to do is run away helps much I would rather not go.
    • Posted

Hi Norman that's great she is supporting you I think if you show her these messages she will realise that your not alone with all this just tell her that you really are grateful for her support we need all the help we can get

As I said to my partner if you don't like me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best as he's not supportive at all !!! 

• Posted

Morning 

I've had an email back from a private phychiatrist 250 pounds first hour then 125 the following next half hours mmmm I'm still thinking about it but will see how I go for a bit are you ok today Judith x 

• Posted

Yes thanks my head is clear but body still letting me down. Was supposed to go and see my psychiatrist today but can't drive. She may come out we will see. I still think we know ourselves better and no matter how much you pay that won't change. However I do know somebody who does pay bu they have a drug problem which is a bit different. They say these is very good and helped keep them on the right path. Will let you know how I get on today. Judith x
    • Posted

Good luck with swimming if you make it I am sure you will feel better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.