prostate median lobe

Posted , 21 users are following.

I had this median lobe problem which no amount of natural supplements or drugs would solve so eventually surgery was the only sensible option, now when urologists and others say have TURP that may be fine for some but when it comes to a median lobe TURP in my opinion is something to be avoided as they don't always tell you they will cut away a cone shape from your bladder neck which by the way could render you incontinent as one urologist said "we don't know if the lower prostate valve will hold the urine", other urologists will tell you a different story but regardless they will likely slice up your penis urethra to allow room to fit the tooling in and remove a large portion of prostate tissue including the prostate urethra resulting in your prostate now being full of urine 24/7 because they cut away a cone shaped chunk of your bladder neck sphincter valve where the median lobe was blocking up your urine flow and now your prostate is permanently a urine bag with only the lower prostate valve to hold your urine, as a result your sperm now will no longer come out the normal way but will go into your bladder and pass out when you urinate.There is another option called FLA which I had done in Houston by Dr Karamanian who is very good, it is painless and all done in a few hours it is done under mri so he can see exactly and precisely where he has the small laser in this way he removes unimportant tissue and safe guards the bladder neck valve so as to avoid incontinence along with avoiding the problem of sperm going into the bladder and avoiding urethra damage etc as it is done through the rectum not the penis, so the prostate does not become a urine bag it is left unharmed yes it is AMAZING!

there are risks with all surgical options and its up to you to do your home work but I am so glad I avoided turp with a median lobe growth. 

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Brian. Is all still well from your FLA procedure. I too have an enlarged median lobe, has been a problem for several years, just getting worse and am concerned about the effects on the internal sphincter. I live in Australia but travel to Texas pretty much each year.

Did you forward all the info to Dr K. and only went over when they told you they could treat you with FLA? If you don’t mind me asking, what was the cost of the procedure and how long did you have to stay for follow up? Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Ely, Yes my FLA is still excellent with no regrets, keep in mind the sooner the better as despite the FLA being amazing, but because I left it too long to act(which is just as well since FLA for bph was not available until recently with the jump forward in mri technology)however one can damage ones bladder and kidneys especially if you try to push your urine out and although I did not push, my bladder has to be retrained not to signal me to pee so often and to hold on longer due to leaving things too long.

Dr K is definitely a genuine good guy who is brilliant, he let me and others email and phone him to discuss our situations without charge!,he first asked me to forward my prostate medical history to him and we took it from there, I only went to Houston from NZ for the op, I chose to stay longer than needed just in case but did not need to, the cost although expensive was well worth it compared to the potential for permanent regrets of other options I knew of at the time, at the time Dr K was offering a discount for those who qualified for research which I gladly accepted as he had already been doing FLA for some time for prostate cancer which is how FLA for bph then got its start, its best for you to ask him what the price is he will be happy to chat with you as you will discover he is the real deal, if I recall it was about $14g usa plus travel costs, don't leave things to long! let me know how you get on, kind regards Brian.

• Posted

Hi Brian, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I am aware that I need to attend ti tbis. I have seen twi urologists here. One suggested cystoscopy, even though the ultrasound shows the problem and I had one 5 years ago, only the prostate is getting larger. The second one sent me for full blood count including PSA which is lower than 5 years ago. It was only 2.9. I’m having prostate MRI tomorrow just to rule out cancer because my father had it. That is being done tomorrow. I don’t like the idea of TURP with its potential side effects.

I will definitely call Dr K. There is also a Dr Sperling in Florida who does the procedure for prostatic enlargement. I will let you know how it goes. Appreciate your help.

• Posted

Hey Ely, be aware that Dr K will require an mri too if you have FLA but not just any mri it needs to be a mp mri which is a 3 tesla mri which will show the detail so if you are having an mri can you get one like that as a lower value tesla mri may not have enough detail, also my research shows its best to avoid the die they sometimes use and its not necessary to have it for Dr K to examine your mp mri details. Also Dr K comes highly recommended as many men will gladly confirm.
    • Posted

Even though I'm a retired electrical engineer, I hadn't associated the T in 3T (denoting magnetic strength) to Tesla.   Hopefully, the cost of at 3T scan isn't the price of three Tesla autos.  wink

• Posted

Mine was less than $500 and all paid by Medicare. Depends on the way the doctor write the order for the imagining location.
    • Posted

Hi Glen, even here in one of NZ 's small cities which is really just a country town with about 100,000 or so has the new mp 3tmri, I googled tesla mri which describes 3 tesla as a stronger magnetic strength than a 1.5 tesla mri magnetic strength, so good to know NZ is keeping up with the latest technology at last, I guess the 3tesla mri machine itself is very expensive which would explain why FLA is costly but well worth it, for me going from the eternal relentless horror of an enlarged prostate median lobe along with the potential horrible outcomes of some surgical options I am so glad to have paid for an advanced medical surgery which is outstanding, if someone offered me a brand new tesla car as long as I agee to have turp on my median lobe I would say no way! I would rather  be poor and enjoy the painless relief and non invasive surgery that FLA has given me thanks to the jump forward in mri technology and capable men such as DR K. kind regards Brian.

• Posted

What a disaster Greenlight TURP was for me.  I'm glad that safer procedures such as FLA are available to men now.

• Posted

Hi Glen, I am sorry for you and so many others who through no fault of their own suffered tremendous harm in the hands of surgeons that refuse to accept the benefits of FLA and perhaps other options as time goes by its exciting to see more sensible options developing, I just hope more men will research this excellent medical health forum and learn not to believe the so called experts with the old options which have left many men suffering. I wish you well Glen, kind regards Brian.
    • Posted

Could  you please name the doctor and location? Thanks.
    • Posted

Dr Karamanian he is in Houston. I sent you a personal message with contact information if you care to contact him for researching questions.

• Posted

Hi Brian. Yes thanks fo that. I suspect they may not have that MRI technology in Australia, otherwise why wouldn’t it be used. Our government seems to be slow off the mark allowing some new technology in. We only got the Rezume method approved for use here 5 months ago even though it has been available in the U.S. for 3-4 years.

i am calling Dr K’s office this evening, heard no negative comments about him. One of the other people on the forum said to avoid Dr Sperling in Florida.

Ely

• Posted

Hi Ely, from what I have herd Australia uses mri more so than NZ therefore they may have the 3mp mri in your part of Australia, let me know how it goes all the best, Bran.
    • Posted

Surely in Australia  has to be plenty  of 3T MRi  . Just in  my city Bratislava - Slovakia  ( former communist country  in Middle Europe ) are minimum  3  units of 3T MRI .  And the  resolution  is much much better then  1.5 MRI.   Pls see  my  scan  of median  lobe  before FLA in April  3rd.  .  FLA was definitelly  the only good option for me .     THe details of all  procedure , and analysis  why is FLA  the best option  for me  is noted in my  own discussion   FLY to FLA .     Best wishes to all  BPH  patients.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.