Prostatitis with zero pain, just horrible 24/7 urge to urinate/frequency

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hello All,

I am a healthy 25 year old male with no history of urinary issues.

I am at my wit's end. Last Sunday, I started having terrible urinary frequency. I will literally go to the bathroom, urinate, flush the toilet, and then have to use the restroom again RIGHT AWAY. In other words, I have constant urinary urges 24/7... It has been this way for one week.

I don't have any pain or discomfort in my pelvic area, and there is no burning sensation during urinating. However, I feel as if the urine is at the tip of my penis - that is where the urge sensation is most prevalent. If I hold it for a long time and it accumulates, there is quite a lot of urine. However, most of the time (especially in the middle of the night) hardly anything comes out even though it feels so urgent.

I can't sleep since it feels like I have to urinate constantly... last night I was going every 5 minutes, and most of the time only a few drops came out. I am having anxiety now because of this.

I went to the urologist last Tuesday (2 days in). Urinanalysis showed no UTI and bladder ultrasound was okay. However, during the rectal exam, he said my prostate was "off" and did a test of the urine that came out after the exam. At that point, I was told that I had a prostate infection and that the enlarged/inflamed prostate was causing the frequency. In other words, there was bacteria.

I was given 500 mg of Levaquin to take once a day for 30 days. However, it has not helped after 6 doses. I'm trying Motrin (ibuprofen) to no avail. I was told it takes a while for the antibiotic to reach the prostate. I have no fever, and no chills.

I am terrified that I have the chronic pelvic pain (CPP) form of prostatitis. However, I don't know if I do, since (1) there WERE bacteria present upon running the urine after the rectal exam and (2) I have ZERO PAIN. The only symptom is the 24/7 need to urinate. Any ideas on this? I hope I have the acute prostitiis form since this is cured with more antibiotics, but if I have the lifelong CPP form I don't know what to do... I feel like I will have to quit my job since I can't sleep with the need to urinate.

Please help!

4 likes, 293 replies

293 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all,

Knock on wood I've been symptom free since Xmas. Good luck everyone, i know how bad it sucks if you're suffering with this. Feel free to respond if you have any questions i may be able to help with

• Posted

Congratulations! What was it that finally did it for you?
    • Posted

Hi there,

I don't know that it was just one thing that did it for me.  If you don't know the source of the issue, I think you need to attack it from multiple angles.  What I did was take Cipro for about 5-6 weeks.  I took this before I really understood the potential side effects, but regardless I think i may have needed it if i had a bacterial infection present somewhere.  Since i wasn't 100% sure if it was bacterial, I also started with a chiropractor and PT for isolated massages.  I read a lot about the potential causes being a possible pinched nerve or muscles pressing on the prostate, and in turn irritating the prostate and making it inflamed.  Also, I'm not a terrible eater but I cut down on gluten and caffeine.  I basically eliminated it for several weeks until I felt a bit better, now I'm back to morning coffee and some gluten but definitely cut down on both.  I'm also taking prostate pills (I think they're called Life Extend Natural Prostate) because there's no side effects with these.  I never took all the pills the Urologist gave me (except for the Cipro) because I was worried about the side effects.  I'm also taking a magnesium pill twice a day that helps reduce inflammation, along with daily probiotics due to the long duration of Cipro I was on.  I'm going to continue to do all these things since it seems to be working for me and I don't want to regress.  

Again, I'm not a Dr. so take it for what it's worth and work with your Dr on a plan that's right for you.  This is working for me but this nasty prostatitis is a little different with everyone hence the reason Urologists and Drs have no idea how to cure it.  It seems to me most Drs. would rather just give you a prescription than take the time to work with you and really find the source of the issue.  If I had any advice other than what I mentioned above, I would say find a really good Dr/Urologist (that takes the time to work with you) and has a solid track record from other patient testimonials.

Good luck!

• Posted

Wow there is so many people suffering from this. 

I had this for about 2 months and now I am having relief from it. I had all tests and found nothing wrong what started this I have no idea. But after going to the doctors time after time I saw this doctor who has seen this lots of time and was told it was all in the mind and told me I health anxiety he prescribed me ciprapan for depression and another drug that stops the nerves in your brain. I used to get up in the morning and the first thing I thought about was the pain in my penis. After around 2 weeks I wasn’t thinking about it and it started to dissapear. I’ve been symptom free for about a week now and hoping it Dosent come back. 

So are you thinking about it all the time are you depressed? Talk to your doctor as the mind is a powerful thing and can make sensations anywhere in the body 

• Posted

Out of curiosity, does anyone wake up and feel totally ok, like you don't eve. have to pee?and then after you pee for the first time that day, it kind of jumpstarts everything IE the urgency.

I'd say I have a good combo of everyone's symptoms listed above, but when I wake up in the morning, I don't have to go at all. I didn't pee for the first time today until 5pm...and then it all started up

• Posted

Hi I have had the same feeling and took the meds and did the tests but couldn't find anything . the only thing I had to go on was the test result from getting a test for a bladder infection a while back when it started and everything was normal except one small insignificant thing the acid level was low. And that didn't mean anything to the doc so I went on to other things but I couldn't get that out of my head cause I couldn't figure out why it was low. So I was just at my end and was at my doc for an appointment again and was talking to the male nurse about the issue and he suggested taking two table spoons of Apple cider vinegar a day for a little bit so I decided what do I have to loose and it helps with weight loss but I couldn't get it down. It mad me gag way to much so I took chloroseptic spray and numbed my mouth and plugged my nose and got it down. And it worked after a couple days I was back to normal and I found it in pill forme now so much easier ! Well hope it helps and works for you as well

• Posted

Ok guys i tried this i baught from target AZO urinary pain relief max strength it helped me alot  i want someone to try it and let me know if it helped u too i have had this urge since i was 16 years old really sad i reach the point of pain that makes me want to chop it off and the other thing is that the doctors dont know anything about this problem we have in united states and from a doctor i went to in morocco while i was in vacation he told me its a very very rare problem caused by the cold in ur penis and back and how u get it ? He said by riding bikes on cold nights and urinating outside in the cold or sitting in the floor ..... ! I knew he was true about what he said because Sometimes when i urinate my penis would get so cold. Please let me know if you guys feel your penis cold and if AZO helped  thanks
    • Posted

I'm i n the uk And am Going To buy some of These Now On Amazon As Not Available Over The Counter Iv Had This 24/7urge For 5months Now An I Mean 24/7 not On and off.. Altho I DIid Have a week Free of whateverthis is While Taking Tamsosin {flowmax} but Its now Returned an driving me mad again Docs are convinced its prostatitis but there no help in the way Of treating it..exercise seems to help A bit ..so my Question To You danny Is does it tame that horrible urge away Witch Is the only sympton buggin g me To death...other THAn This constant urge i Have A Red Urethra at THE TIP And DRiddling After Urinating For A Few Seconds .. Will These tabs HELp Atal with ANY OF THat..

• Posted

27 Years old and its been three weeks now since I've had to pee frequently. I don't know how exactly this happened though it could have been a number of things.

I'd been getting pains down below on my sides thinking it was my Hernias for almost two years since I had those as a child and had surgery to remove some of the pressure. Now I think it was my bladder and bladder spasm attacks. 

I masturbate a lot along with some other kinky stuff. Now on the week this happened, I remember the week before going out, drinking soda since I only drink cola products when I go out and I hardly ever go out. I also eat chocolate and ice cream a lot.

Before that I was also ill. After new years eve I'd gotta ill with the flu. And was taking medication that another GP and not my main GP prescribed me. She said she wouldn't give me antibiotics and yet I was given some for…UTIs. I had a flu and I was given a UTI prescription along with something else to help with my belly and and other things. And before that I took a drug for a month to help me pee normally and sleep better at night but I stopped taking that medication after I got the flu.

Anyway, I got through the medication and felt fine for a few days. Now I remember going out with my Mum and we went to a restaurant. I didn't get a chance to use the toilet and of all the days there was massive traffic. I had to hold my p**s in for 3 hours straight before I finally got home.

Then there's the masturbation. I masturbate everyday or used to. Since getting this problem I'm trying to cut down but i have relapses every three days so far. I also do…SOUNDING. Urethral Sounding. Now I hardly do it. Using headphone wires or pens or pencils somethings every few months. The week before I think I stuck a full on sunflower plant up there. I remember getting a UTI the year before because I'd done this 'hobby' and going to the A&E ward and have IV fluids put into me for a whole day before I recovered enough to go home.

Anyway, this week I ordered some proper sound equipment to use for safety and not rely on everyday objects. I also ordered sterile surgical water based lube which gets a bit sticky after use. It was Friday. I did the Sounding when I got my order and I remember using the smallest rod first (Which was a mistake) and I remember a bit of  blood. It didn't go into the bladder and only hit the back of the urethra as I sat.

I also sit a lot on my laptop, TV and gaming. Don't really walk about except when I got to work where I have to bend down and lift boxes which doesn't help my current problem.

Anyway, did the sounding with the first and second rod and I felt fine. Then saturday I might have done it again. Fine. On Friday and Saturday I masturbated a lot more then usual. At least three to four times with 30 minutes in-between. 

Sunday came and I went work and I realised I was going to the toilet a lot more than usual. Then when I got home I went for a bath. The moment I came out I began Sounding and used the third rod which fit perfect inside my urethra but also strenched it a bit but no pain. 

Then the night came. I was going a lot at night. Monday came and I hadn't recovered and assumed I had a UTI. Went hospital on tuesday and go antibiotics that nearly killed me. Called my GP and went and Cipro on Friday which was better but it didn't improve my problem. I still peed a lot like every 10 to 15 minutes. Tired controlling it.

In the second week I got given the same medication I was taking to allow me to pee well enough but I only took them for 10 days. During those days I managed to control or hold it in for about 30 to an hour. Went cinema at one point to watch Black Panther and managed to enjoy the movie a good 2 to 3 hours without having to use the bathroom. 

I needed to keep my mind occupied. Going to work helps but I still go to the toilet every 1 to 2 hours now. I'm in my third week now and have stopped taking that current medication after I told my GP that I had swollen ankles that felt like stone and was going to the toilet a lot when I drunk water instead of the juices like tropical mixes and cranberry juice.

Eating a lot of rice, grilled, fry panned chicken, fish, had steak for the first time. On Tolterodine tartrate now which is meant to stop me from going to the toilet a lot. Only been two days now but I'm having a hard time trying to pee and need to put water on it to get it to work but it is meant to stop me from getting urges constantly.

Had a hard time getting a erection in the first week and half but its back so my penis at least works somewhat. Semen is…fine. A bit on the yellow to white side. Trying to seriously stop and see if it'll help improve my symptoms.

Did two urine tests and both were bacteria and UTI free except for a bit of blood inside which could be from having used the SOUNDs to damage the urethra a bit perhaps? 

Going to do a blood test next week and then seeing a Urologist soon and getting a scan for my bladder.

Either way, being searching the internet here and there for answers and they're depressing me and causing me anxiety. I either have Prostatitis though my GP thinks its either a Overactive Bladder or IC = Intersitity Cycls or whatever you call it. But I'm wondering if I got a inflamed or enlarged prostate or perhaps I've damaged the nerves in my urethra? But I've used more dangerous objects for Sounding and never gotten this problem? Its driving me mad trying to figure out the problem. 

• Posted

Did you issue ever resolve? Sounds to me like you might've caused some tearing in the urethra lining and either it's having a hard time healing, or there's scar tissue now and it's causing this sensation. I always wonder how people with prince albert piercings live like this, as I assume the sensations are far more intense and hurt way more. If I were you, I'd cut out all sounding, period. Tell your doc what you've been up to so he can maybe scope the urethra for these strictures. The urethra should never bleed, but here we are. Could also be an infection that isn't present on paper, but still there. Happens a lot. Prostatitis from what I gather is extremely painful, makes urine and stool hard to pass, and causes a great deal of pelvic inflammation. If you don't have that, it's extremely likely your prostate is fine, but you can opt to get it checked. Interstitial Cystitis is also unlikely as I've been told it's tremendous pain in the bladder, not just the urgency to go. Cystitis on its own is just a UTI. Inflammation of the bladder tissue. If this problem came about shortly after your "sounding" experiment, I would chalk it up to that, give it plenty of time to heal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.