Prostrate enlargement

Posted , 14 users are following.

I  have been prescribed Dutastearide Capsule ( also known as Dutas-- 0.5 mg), for  reducing the size of  my Prostrate . i am not  keen on  undergoing Surgery in a hurry . 

Wish to  learn  -- whether  Dutastearide  causes/ has caused  any side -effects pls ?

Your response would be helpful pls . thks

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My  doctor tried to prescribe this type of drug for me but I refused because of the potential side effects. If you go online and check, you will get a detailed list of potential problems associated with this medication. Sexual problems are high on the list.
    • Posted

There is a new study saying this type of drug does not cause ED . It's the BPH that's causing the problem

• Posted

Thank You for  Sharing your views ,  Is the Study  (mentioned in your  Post ), available on the Net ; Details pls .

I am  62 Years ,   PSA  is   1.06 (total)

The Results of  Recent Uroflowmetry Test  are :  

Average Flow Rate is  4.5 ml/s

Max Flow Rate : 11.9 ml/sec

I  need to wake up  2-3 times  in the  night to   void the bladder

I am already taking  Alfusozin 10mg, ....Urotone (Bethanechol chloride) since last 3-4 weeks . Urologist has prescribed Dutasteride 

I am  trying to  learn about  Side effects experienced if any  for Dutasteride  from  someone who has already used it -- based on his first-hand experience pls .. 

I would  certainly  prefer to avoid Surgery .

thks

• Posted

Hey Buddy  Sorry that your are having a problem.  This drug can cause alot of problems.  Sexual problems, less ejaculation, testicle pain and a decrease in sex all together. But sometime they do not effect some men.  This is better they some that cause retro and other problems.  The best thing you can do is go on line and look it up and read for your self.  Try it for a while and if any of the side effects happen stop and talk with your doctor. Take care  Ken  PS don't let hime talk you into any surgerys

• Posted

Good advice , many guys benefit from this drug and it helps with urination .
  • Posted

I was prescribed a similar medication (finasteride) which basically did not help. If you decide against medication or the medication doesn't alleviate your symptoms, please know that there are procedures you can research and consider that are significantly less invasive and problematic that full on surgery. This forum had a wealth of information about all the procedures and surgeries that are available.

• Posted

I comlpetely agree with richp21. I havent tried any of these medications, and i never will. Just google on the side effects of finasteride/dutasteride.

You need to realize that prostate surgeries have come a long way. Some are not even worth calling surgeries.

Heres the few you should research

-- urolift

-- pulmonary artery embolization (pae)

-- green laser

-- holep

-- turp

urolift is a 5 min procedure, and does not change the anatomy of your urinary symptom, and is reversible, plus the effects are visible in a week or two.

PAE is new and although slightly more invasive, literally shrinks the prostate size, and does not change the anatomy of your urinary system either. also urlogist might not recommend pae, because its done by a radiologist and hence no $ for urologist.

Green laser and holep and worth calling surgeries, and do change your anatomy.

turp is definitely a full fledged surgery but has serious side effects, and i wouldnt advise it at all.

• Posted

thks a ton  for the  information.

However I am  simultaneously and seriously  looking for feedback/  first- hand experience  from   Members  who  have ACTUALLY undergone  any of  the following Procedure  Like :  PAE , Green Laser , HOLEP,   TURP ,  and   Specifically ---a) what is the  extent of  Improvement ..   b)Problems  faced if any  , after undergoing  the Procedure . Are they long-lasting  etc  ?  

• Posted

I've been on fernasteride for about a year. I think it's similar drug.. I've not had any problems with it. And finally my small bald spot is going away

• Posted

Was on Finasteride for about a year until prostate was reduced in size enough to quit taking Flomax.   Will remain on finasteride until something better comes along.
    • Posted

Hi Vibes, would you share your prostate size before and after finasteride ? Any side effects ? Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

gp said psa high so sent me to UR even though other symptoms didn't appear serious.  After UR did  digital  and endoscope exams he said prostate was HUGE.  Got infection apparently from endoscope and been on meds aver since - (several years ago). 

• Posted

Semen taken on dark color that stains and did not go away after quit flomax.

"Ever", not "aver" in other post.

• Posted

Did you get the infection after a cystoscopy? I assume you mean an infection in your prostate. I never had perineum pain until i had a cystoscopy. The uro the did the cystoscopy just ignored me when mentioned it. I'm not saying he caused it but he.may have.

• Posted

I believe that anytime doctors invade your body with foreign objects, there's a chance of infection or of them nicking some internal organ. I realize there are times when it's necessary, but I think there should always be  strong justification for it before consenting to any invasive procedure. 

• Posted

Thanks Vibes. However, you did not know for certain how much finasteride reduces your prostate size (or your PSA). Hank
    • Posted

That is correct - after cystoscopy.  Total blockage - went to emergancy few days later- had catheter for few weeks and started on flomax then but now on finasteride.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.