PVP Greenlight 12/6/16 My experience!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Over the next few weeks, I intend to chronicle here my experience following my PVP surgery.  I will attempt to as brief as possible.  I have heard so many horrible stories and warnings from so many men, that I thought I would relay my experience as it happens for those of you who might be planning your own PVP.

Had to be at hospital 0900 today.  Prep was minimal.  first step was to strip down to nothing and remove a wedding band that is now smaller than my knuckle.   Tests for blood sugar (I'm diabetic), blood pressure, and insert IV which took 4 tries.

A visit from the anestesiologist, and then my urologist. I asked him if I could give him some words of encouragement and he said sure.  I said, "Brian, don't f*ck up my dick"!  He gave me a hearty laugh. 

surgery was scheduled for 1200 and by 12-7 they wheeled me out of prep room towards OR, but I don't think I ever saw it.

I woke up at1445.  Groggy as hell and with strong discomfort inside the end of my penis.with catheter inserted.  I got some pain killers, antibiotics, and anti-bladder spasm meds as well as some coaching on emptying the bag.  

The nurse also secured the cath line to my inner thigh so that a tug on the main line wouldn't pull on the line into the penis.  There is not enough lead there and sitting on toilet promotes a pull of it's own.  Can't adjust it because there is a hard plastic connector in the line right there; so no alternative but to leave it be.

Was in the car at 1700  to go home just in time for horrific Atlanta traffic and took 1.5 hours to go 25 miles.

It's 2100 now and am getting used to the feeling of the cath in my trouser worm.  It's very uncomfortable but sensation pain has gone from about a 5 to a 2 or 3.  Bag has been emptied once but needs to be done again before I turn it.  Ate some dinner, a small pasta with broth and an egg around 1930.  Trying to drink plenty of water as advised.

I feel no pain whatsoever except for the point of insertion of the cath.  That is having a very calming effect on me, but, my dick does hurt.

Cath out Friday.  

Report back tomorrow.

1 like, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I may from this day forward use ejaculation and supermarket interchangeably.  "Honey, I'm going to the supermarket!  Be done soon."  A new code word for flogging my dolphin.

Today is day 12.

Seems as though the blood flow during urination has increased.  It is no longer slightly pink, but more red looking.  Also, the bloody discharge continues.  I've had to clean the pee hole each time to insure a single stream.  Have stopped trips to the "supermarket" and trying to take it more easy, although I'm not doing anything strenuous.  I plan on messaging the urologist for tomorrow as this doesn't seem to be what should be happening at this point.  We'll see how today goes.

• Posted

Quote:

" I may from this day forward use ejaculation and supermarket interchangeably"

I hope that you are using Safeways:-)

• Posted

Day 13:

At 6:30 PM I went to the restroom at the office.  I peed out a rather large scab.  I could feel it pull free inside and then move down the urethral passage.  I've felt kidney stones pass; but this was the most unusual thing I've ever felt moving through and out.  It splashed into the bowl, although it was soft.  It was about 3 inches long and not terribly thick, thinner than a pencil.  Half of it was full, almost cylindrical, the rest was broken and trailing.

Although I am still beginning each pee with a bloody discharge at first, the stream does seem stronger and it is starting to run clearer.  All good news.

• Posted

You're a very brave man to chronicle this... thank you..!!

• Posted

Thanks Jed!  It needs to be done.  I haven't seen anything like it here or elsewhere, so I wanted other men to know if they choose this path, what is it going to be like.  Even my doc doesn't tell me what toe expect 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, what can i expect.  That is what his "chronicle" is all about.  And really, "brave" is too much an embelishment of what is really going on.

• Posted

It is in no way typical of my PVP experience or that of others I know.
  • Posted

Day 15:

Urine stream is so damn admirable!  Especially in the evening.  Feels like when I was in my 20's.  Quite awesome!  Sometimes the flow is short after a really urgent need to go; and other times it seems to be long and routine as it used to be.  Glad to see this eventuality.

Couldn't resist yesterday and masterbated in the afternoon.  There was blood at the beginning.  Not a lot! just a drop at the tip of the penis.  wiped it off a couple of times and then let it rip!  Felt really good.  Not much ejaculate.  there was some that was clear and trickled down to my hand.  But not enough to write home about.  That there was any was comforting.  don't know if this will last or not.  time will tell.

Sent a msg to the uro on Monday asking questions.  Still haven't heard back.  Kind of p*ssed about that as I would like to know how long some of these post op issues will last. and is it all normal.

• Posted

Day 15:

The bloody discharge that was ever present has slowed and almost disappeared.  So too has the constant pain at the tip of the penis; mostly I am not really cognizant of it except when I pee.  All pees start with a small amount of blood and small clots.  They're almost like fuzz or lint.  But then the pee runs clear and the stream is really quite impressive.  Especially towards afternoon and evenings.  Feels like I am a much younger man.  Also felt the urge to get off and couldn't resist, so I did.  Had a surprising amount of precum that ran down to the shaft and there was some ejaculate but it was mostly clear.  There was no pain or blood with any of this and it felt really good.  Also a good sign of ejaculate, although it's not much, it is something and that is a good sign.  All in all, I'd say things are looking pretty good at this point.  

I did finally hear from my uro.  He said everything I have experienced is normal and that healing time is different for each man.  It could be just a few weeks or it could be longer even 6 weeks.  I also asked if masterbation might be harmful to healing, but didn't get a response to that.  As usual, the answers were very general; but never got to my specific questions.  If I want that, I need to make an appointment.

• Posted

today marks 3 weeks or 21 days since my surgery.  Most of last week was marked by a very good urine stream, although mostly in the evenings.  I've been enjoying that.  Still feel pain in tip of penis, although I wouldn't call it pain; I know it is there and I wish it wasn't but it is a small concern right now. 

the past 2 days after peeing first thing in the morning, I have felt a very strong urge to pee again.  It happens about 30 or so minutes after the first pee.  I stand over toilet and it feels more tense in penis tip, and then very little comes out, barely a few dripples.  Hate the drippling.  Later in the day it is back to normal.  In fact yesterday, after some beers I was in a public restroom with my son.  He took the urinal and I went into the stall.  I was really proud of the long forceful stream that came out of me.  

Haven' had an orgasm in about a week and was just really in need, so, I decided to go for it.  It took longer than I would have liked, but was able to get off.  It was pain free, really enjoyable, and there was seminal fluid.  Not alot, but there was enough to signify the event.  This was great to see as it seems the prospect of RE will not be an issue, although, from what I've read, it is still early and this can change.  We will see.  Wishing you all the Best in the New Year.

• Posted

Hi Gmoney,

The delayed orgasm, or no orgasm at all , can be caused by some BPH meds. Are you taking any?

Neal

• Posted

No meds!  There are 2 sex organs; one between your legs, the other between your ears.  Don't expect it was anything more than that.

• Posted

Yup. The one between your ears is more powerful.

Neal

• Posted

Today is day 23:

I have noticed this morning some blood in my urine.  Not much, almost imperceptable, but there it was on the toilet seat, a single drop that had a pinkish color.  I've not been able to tell otherwise and most pees seem clear.  I continue with pain, or a feeling at the tip of the penis that never seems to go away.  Feel it most during pees, but it remains there inbetween.  I have squeezed the very tip and it feels as though there is a spherical object right there at the end.  Hurts more when squeezed.  I haven't noticed this before; but then I'm not in the habit of squeezing the tip of my dick.  Stroking is something else again, but I wouldn't feel the object doing that.  Had a pretty powerful orgasm 2 days ago  and felt that sensation at the tip  and afterward, but after a day it dissapates.  I would like to know what this is; but don't think it warrants a trip to the doc and he and the nurse who reply to my messages suggested a visit if I had more questions.  Don't see him again until february; but do have an annual with my GP in 2 weeks. I can bring it up with her if it is still a bother then.  I'm thinking this feeling at the tip is associated with bladder spasms, which I also believe is responsible for these "false alarm" pees in which I feel a really urgent need to pee and then little or nothing comes out.  And sometimes it shoots sideways missing the bowl making an unwelcomed mess on the bathroom floor.  Took a med for the spasm yesterday and likely will again today.  I don't have these incidences later in the day.  the pee shoots out long and forceful about 3 or 4 feet from my shoes.  Yes, it is hard to beat peeing outside.  I did  not get up to pee at all the past 2 nights which was great and woke up with erections a few times each night.  They feel good but go down fast and then back to sleep.

• Posted

Four weeks and a day:

had a good scare a few days ago.  Got up to start the day and went pee.  Out came more blood than pee.  It almost looked like grape juice.  Don't know what that was about, but it hasn't happened since.  

Still feeling the sensation at the penis tip, especially when I pee.  And the continuing bladder spasms really make that sensation acute.  It is not quite pain; but it feels odd and can be felt through my gut and sends chills through my body.  They are annoying and I still take the meds for it.  The urine stream is terrific.  The spasms seem to be mornings and later in the day the stream becomes impressive even to me.  Outside, it is a good 4 feet in front of  me.  At times it feels like there isn't enough room inside the urethra for what is moving through it.  And, that feeling at the tip feels like there might be an obstruction there; but I feel like it is connected to the spasms.  

Ejaculating regularly and while it isn't what used to be a normal amount, there is something.  Volume does seem to vary, and the longer I go without, the more there is.  Not painful but there is that feeling in the tip.  Happy New Year to you all!

• Posted

5 weeks today post surgery:

Not too much new to report!  The bladder spasms are the worst thing that is going on.  They come up so suddenly and feel like I have to pee buckets right now.  When I get over the bowl, almost nothing comes out.  I feel it at the tip of the penis and get a sensation not unlike chills all through the core of my body.  And then it passes.  

I still see some blood in the urine but at times it is imperceptable, except for one morning at the start of the week that was very bloody.  And I am passing scabs still, can actually feel them being pushed through.  

Ejaculation does not seem to be a problem although ejaculate is a small amount.  

Urine stream is powerful!  Even I am impressed at times. Sometimes feel as if the urethral opening is not sufficiently large enough for the volume and pressure coming out.  And that nagging feeling at the penis tip as if there might be a blockage there.  Have a good week.

• Posted

My green light laser took 8 months to recover. 3 years later retention recurred due to an auto accident. They wanted me to now do TURP. I refused and after another 8 months normal urination resumed. A peer review determined that retention was due to the accident. I sued and won a large insurance settlement.
    • Posted

Did you sue on the grounds that their recommendation for a turp was wrong? or because the green light laser failed after 3 years and the accident?

• Posted

I read that as, he sued the other driver as the accident caused the issue.  Not that he sued the uro as he wrote : "A peer review determined that retention was due to the accident" (c.f. due to a mistake during any procedure).  He is incidentally pointing out that he escaped another TURP by waiting 8 months, and the issue self-resolved. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.