Ranitidine - silent reflux

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi

After months of a bitter taste, sore burning tongue and constant mucous/throat clearing, I was prescribed Ranitidine along with Gaviscon.

I've altered my diet, cut out dairy and all the negative foods such as tomatoes, onions etc

My question is could there be something I'm missing?

What I mean is, a lot of the time these days my symptons are ok - they only rate a 1 or 2 out of 10 but then all of a sudden - BAM! It's like I'm still eating something that is reacting with me and causing the bitter taste/sore, dry tongue......

I've started using almond milk as I was struggling to find anything to drink except water. A few days after staring the almond milk I though I would give muesli a try - I've not had it since this reflux all started back in November. Within 10 minutes my tongue is burning and sore and I have a horrible bitter 'paracetomal' like taste in my mouth. Would the acid be caused so quickly? What could be in muesli that causes such a reaction?!

Or could it be that the Ranitidine is not working and that I need to try something else?

I'm fed up with this - it's taking over my life.

sad

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys - I have borderline barrats- 4 weeks ago I developed a metallic taste in my mouth flowed the next day by a horrible burning on my tongue and a soreness on the roof of my mouth.

i recently had magic eyes both of my bowel and my esophogus and it showed borderline barrats, I have always been troubled with heartburn or indigestion.

recently my symptoms have altered. I have had no heartburn no indigestion - but I seemed to have developed the throat clearing the white foaming stuff from my mouth after coughing - dry eyes and blocked nose.

my Gerd consultant has changed my medication to nexium, but things are still the same, my mouth is so sore, a lot of burping,I'm frustrated now as I have been having private treatment and nothing seems to help ------ I have found it comforting reading on this site it seems quite common and there's some helpful suggestions- any further help would be appreciated 

mrspinrat - we seem to have been having similar symptoms - you have my sympathy as it's awful 

• Posted

Hi Wilfie...i can tell you about what I think you have with your mouth pain, etc.  If you get this message, you can reply and I'll check back in to see if you are still around, and talk about it.
    • Posted

Are you going to suggest BMS as this sounds like classic BMS to me?? I'm new here and havent gone deep into the archives. Think I can get rid of metal taste though quite easily.
  • Posted

High PH water and alkaline drops have worked incredibly well for me.  If you have pepcid coming back up, the alkaline effectively kills it off (PH 8.8).  I've been taking it for 3 days and can notice the difference.  I gargle with the alkaline drops usually before and after meals and I drink a small bottle of water each day (PH 8.2).

So I haven't gone mad with the drops or water, but it has made a difference.  Some people use it as a throat spray, but I find that gives me a thickly cough!

​I' m also going to do a nasal rinse as I get a blocked nose and ear pains sometimes (the pepcid vapours can stick around all the airways!)

• Posted

Thank you so much Suzeq1972- I too suffer with a blocked nose - I have been told to get a nasal rinse - but not where to buy one.

if you have time please can you tell me where I can buy the products you talk about

i also have the dry eye syndrome which is parr for the course, I have done well until recently only using the ranatadine -but it seems to have gone up a gear  after my endescope - the burning mouth is horrible , the other things I can deal with but my mouth is on fore the whole time.

thank you for responding to my mail - I'm so glad I found this suet I was beginning to think I had some horrible illness

• Posted

Hi Wilfie.  It sounds like you're suffering too!

I purchased everything from Amazon.  I'm sure you can buy them cheaper elsewhere, but I was so desperate I just didn't care how much it cost!

Also, if you're on Facebook, search for a page called 'justpassingthrough'.  I found the information invaluable!  

Please let me know if you need anymore info! :-)

• Posted

Thank you Sueq1972- thank you for the information - it's so miserable at the moment- the burning mouth just doesn't go away, if it wasn't for that I could cope with the other things and manage the symptoms- but the mouth is relentless 

I don't care what I pay or from where having the where's buy is the invaluable part - thank you so much Suzeq - your brilliant for that.

my gastro consultant put me on nexium 10 mg satchels -1 per day which haven't done anything so far - however I read this morning on the enclosure the usual doseage for a 12 year old to and adult is 2x 10 mg satchels per day- I wondering should I double up on my own steam or wait to see the consultant in 6 weeks -mmmm!!! The local boots pharmacist would confirm for me to take the extra satchel ( even tho the directions state two) until I confirm with my consultant - I'm confused as to what to do as it's the long weekend.-I feel like screaming I really do !!! - thank you for you support Suzeq 

• Posted

I'm the same Wilfie.  I can put up with most things, but the throat and mouth issues really were getting me down!  Did you find the page I mentioned on Facebook?  If not, I'm happy to email you some info it provides.

Have you thought about starting a new discussion on this site about the dry mouth?  I'm sure there's lots of ways that people have coped with it (I think sucking an ice cube has been mentioned?)

• Posted

Just to add, Wilfie, I completely understand what you say about being able to cope with the other symptoms except the mouth issues! I've had this bitter/sour taste since last November. It is on my mind ALL the time. It makes me act like a different person sad

I also feared that I have some bizarre disease as my taste is not metallic but sour/bitter sad

I've been in Ranitadine for about 2 months - it's easier but I still have not so good days sad

Good luck - it's just nice to know we're not alone smile

• Posted

Hi - I haven't had time to go into Facebook at the moment as I'm off out later 

OH dear !! For a drink with friends - now there's another problem what do I drink apart from water 

just to say I get a slight metallic tatse in my mouth sometimes, about 2 weeks ago I lost my taste but that has now come back, eating is no problem until IV finished and then whooosh is back - I try chewing sugar free fruit gum that helps but - it leaves my tongue sore from chewing - it's a no win no win thing - thanks again Suseq I'm very grateful 

• Posted

Hi mrspinrat - thank you for your response and support, I was beginning to think it was only me who had these odd goings on in my mouth, I try to ignore it but it's so hard and it's always there,

IV recently developed a slight metallic tatse in my mouth and Yes tea seems to agrivate it - it's no win. Situation - about 6 weeks a go it started with a metallic taste in my mouth , then came the burning sensation on my tongue and soft pallet, I went to my dentist he checked everything was normal.

a week later I lost my taste, it returned a week later, so here I am now - it's the metallic tatse back full circle but the burnings not gone.

im sure it's my gerd as I have the dry eyes, coughing the milky white mucas in the mornings and burping like mad - embarrassing and uncomfortable

thank you so much for your reply and support - it's nice to know were not alone or just odd bods, I like you was beggining to think I had something life threatening and awful.-----good luck- I hope you improve - I'm going to give the nexium a chance then try what Suseq has suggested - take care 

• Posted

for dry mouth lemon help, or water with a lot of lemon. Sugar free is worse than sugar. All are very accidic.
  • Posted

Your body is acidic. In your musli are oats. Oats are very acidic and that create the problem. You need check your acidity in your body with latmus strips. You must go on alcalic diet. I am fighting acidity problems for last 3 months and it is difficult. 

The diet is vegan, I eat sometimes little meat or eggs and that is a  problem. There is many books on internet about yor PH ot I think it is called acidosis. 

• Posted

I forgot, Almond milk and almond are very alkalic and very good to eat. Water with fresh  lemon juce help a lot (lemon after consuming is alcaline, you can eat lemons). Backing soda in water helps also. A lot drinking good water (neutaral PH, not all water is neutral). Water need be around 7 ph, when not there are dropes which you add to alkalize it.
    • Posted

Everywhere I read that lemon is not indicated for stomach problems. But most people, including myself, do well with oat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.