Reaching out for some advice.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

Wondering if I should increase to 10 mg.

I've gone from 2.5 to 5 mg to 7.5mg, since June 22nd.

I thought I was beginning to feel better on 7.5mg, and I have had some better days.

However, got involved in a bit of a family argument this week with my brother and the last couple days feel back at square one. No sleep the last couple of nights, racing heart, feeling jittery. Churning, upset stomach. Absolutely yelled at him on the phone (all deeply buried resentment coming out.) I was a bit scared by myself though.... I was SO angry. Anyone else experienced this anger on cit? Although I do think maybe it was just a lot of resentment that reached boiling point.

This is nearly my 4th week at 7.5mg, will be tomorrow, wondering whether it is quite enough. Perhaps I need to boost up to 10mg.

Or should I give it another couple of weeks? I think it's also partly psychological, as I know I recovered at 10 mg before.

Trouble is, am not sure what is actual anxiety, and what is side effects any more. Tablets do make me feel a bit jittery anyway at the moment. Either that, or just plain exhausted.

I take it first thing in the morning, around 7 am, with breakfast.

0 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Ruth, am sorry to hear that you are struggling. Am i right in saying you were on 10mg a few months back? You have had alot of dose changes in the last few months, I know alot of people would see your dose as being low, and it is for some but not others. I have found in the past that its too easy to increase the dose when going through bad times and have learnt that its not always the answer. Ruth I was on 60mg years back before it was changed to 40mg, my emotions were completely numb, didnt realise how numb until I came off them and me came back. Anxiety is a natural human response to danger, I know you know this, try not to let it scare you its ok to feel many emotions. Have you tried cbt? I found it fantastic, life changing. I may still feel irrational fear and can now rationalise it. Infact at times when i start feeling anxious I see it as a sign that i am overdoing it so take time out.

Two months is not a long time to settle especially with dose changes, can you remember how 10mg affected you? Hope something i have said helps.

• Posted

You're right, Paula. And am gonna give it a bit longer to settle. Just gonna roll with the bad days as much as possible and see where I am in a couple of weeks. Thank you xx

• Posted

Ruth,

Definitely stay at 7.5 for now until you settle. Don’t rush to go up. A month admin I was feeling I should raise up. I’m glad I didn’t and I’m good now 

Hang in there. I’m glad you and your brother are speaking. Apologies are great especially from both of you. 

Keep us posted of how you are doing. 

Will😎

• Posted

Thanks all.

Spoke to gp yesterday who advised moving up to 10mg, just because she feels it would be better to take the whole darn pill rather than faff around with cutting to get a 7.5mg dose, which is probably a bit inaccurate anyway. She said that I wouldn't really be experiencing side effects now, and that the anxiety spikes are part of the existing condition.

But we know better, eh? When up-dosing, it is totally normal to feel side effects for ages. I do kind of agree with what she is saying about the pill cutting though. I'm probably getting different doses every day doing this.

So. Am gonna give it another week. I took a beta blocker yesterday, to cope with the heightened anxiety. And I made myself go out last night, as planned, even though I really didn't feel like it.... and had a good time.

Problem is, it's school hols and although when well, that is lovely, when unwell, it leaves far too much time to ruminate.

I think this week's blip was due to family stress and the fact that I moved into new flat last weekend.

Thanks everyone. Support much appreciated 🙏

• Posted

Quick update. I thought about this more, and just went ahead and did it. But 10mg is as high as I am gonna go. It's enough for me, any more and I really don't feel anything, which is not what I want. I took 20 for a year the first time I ever went on and was totally away with the faeries, only realised when I had reduced back down to ten.

Decided to go ahead because I actually don't think. 7.5 mg is quite covering me. It's blunted the panic a bit, but am not getting much therapeutic benefit.

It's partly psychological, because I know I recovered on 10mg before. So it puts that belief in place again, which is gonna help.

And its also because of the pill cutting, its quite tricky to get an accurate 7.5 dose because of all the halving and quartering necessary. Am sure am getting quite random doses.

So I've taken 10mg for two days now. Buckling my seat belt just in case.

Wanted to say thank you for your words of support. It's tricky to make decisions when depressed, so the best thing was to just do it, in the end. And deal with any consequences.

Wishing you a great Sunday!

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I'm glad you're happy with the decision you made. Sometimes you've just got to go with your gut instinct.

I'm currently weaning from 10 to 5 but in two minds whether to increase from 5 to 7.5mgs. How do you feel after two days of increasing, any bad start up effects?

I've got family visiting today, I've done the prep but I've got the jitters. I just hope my dizziness doesn't play up.

Best wishes

• Posted

So far, am okay. About an hour after taking, I feel a bit woozy as it's taking effect, and then round about late afternoon felt a bit weak.

But... today, I woke up with no anxiety or depression. First time in 3 months. That was really nice. However, it's early days. Side effects don't seem to hit me properly and then last until the 4th day of increase anyway.

I did go with my gut in the end, you're right. I could have waited a couple more weeks but I have a hunch that this increase is going to do the trick and settle me. The 7.5 was helping, but not quite reaching the edges.

If you feel that 7.5 is gonna be better, then it might be worth having a go. Just bear in mind that you will probably have readjustment effects to get through, which could last a few weeks (by which time you might have settled on the 5.) It's a really tricky call, but I think if you go into it with full knowledge that it could be tough, you can kind of prepare yourself.

I don't have to work this week, so am OK to just kind of collapse if necessary.

Have a great day Lina, enjoy family 😊

• Posted

I meant, side effects don't hit me until the 4th day. Then they last until they decide to go away.

• Posted

Glad your anxiety has gone away, that's really hopeful.

You're right, I have come this far on 5 and going up may give me the same effects in any case.

I'll see how I cope today and how I feel at the end of it all. So tired, not getting enough sleep, husband an insomniac and the cats are awake all night.

I just hope my mother is not in an argumentative mood as she very often is. She doesn't get how I feel, neither does hubby.

Why I put myself through this I'll never know. Trying to please everybody I suppose.

I wish you well?

• Posted

My doctors never liked me cutting my pills, the NHS has the liquid version, although you have to fight for it, I think its a cost issue. I am going to taper on the liquid. A friend of mine thanked me the other day as she is now taking the liquid and is doing well on it. Am going to read up on it as wondering if how it metabolises makes a difference. Lois tip on using straight nail clippers sounds good.
    • Posted

Yeah, it's definitely worth fighting for the liquid I think. If I can't get it on the NHS (which am gonna try bloody hard to do) I might even consider going privately. Will have to work 5 jobs to fund that though 😕

I also wonder, in a pill, how the cit is distributed. Eg just because I have cut a pill in half, does that necessarily mean that I'm having half the dose? What if the cit isn't accurately spread out and one side is mostly filler? I dunno, probably over thinking it here, but I do wonder about that. Why don't pharma companies make smaller 'weaning' doses? And yes, also the metabolising issue...

Day 3 of increase. I feel normal this morning. I'm kind of leaping out of bed and just getting on. I do think the tiny extra bit has done the trick 🤞although really, gotta get through two weeks before I can feel too optimistic.

Am not increasing again anyway.

Hope you're well, Paula. Did you have a good break?

• Posted

Hi Ruth

So happy for you that you are starting to feel better. Sounds like you're on your way to recovery.?

It went ok thanks, I wasn't feeling great though, a bit edgy and tired, sort of run down. My sister in law noticed I've lost a lot of weight and I started worrying about that then. I have dropped a stone since Christmas. I got a chest infection then and lost my appetite for few weeks and my appetite hasn't really picked up since then.

I don't eat as much now and don't eat sugars and high fats. I put it down to a combination of being ill then, health anxiety just not eating high calorie foods. Since reducing Citalopram my appetite has decreased in any case. Problem is symptoms of anxiety are so similar to other symptoms such as ME. That has been on my mind too because I had that chest infection. I'm late 50's though so don't know if I'm too old for that. I had full blood works a month ago and they were normal.

Still don't know what to do about increasing. I take my dose around 2pm so I'll see then.

Hope you have a good day!

Best wishes

• Posted

It's a tough call, re increasing.

The last time I reduced a d then went back to original dose was last April. I was on 5mg, and cut to 2.5mg, and after a week I just couldn't handle it. I had flu like aches and pains all through my body, and my legs were agony. I stuck it out a week, and then reinstated at 5mg. Symptoms cleared up within two days, so definitely because of withdrawal.

The thing is, you have had quite a gap in time now since you were at 10mg, so probably going up will cause side effects.

Years ago, 2013, I dropped from 20 to 10mg, which was far too big of a drop. I made the reduction in late August, and didn't actually feel right again until January. Crying, depressed, etc. Short tempered. But it did come good. I'm sharing this because it sounds similar to your experience.... Apologies if I've already shared this with you, can't remember, am a bit dopey on increase 😴

If you've cut out sugar, that will explain the weight loss. The weight literally dropped off me when I cut it out.

If you've had a chest infection, it will no doubt have affected your state of mind.... Sounds like it has coincided with the decrease? If you concentrate on boosting up your diet/immunity, I'll bet you start to settle better on 5mg.

Its amazing how much ill health can knock us, and for a while after, too. Wishing you start to feel more settled soon. I'm feeling the increase a bit this morning, slightly nauseous, but have more energy. God, all these ups and downs, eh?

Take good care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Thanks for keeping in touch. That nauseous feeling is horrible, I force myself to eat a cracker when I get that and it helps a little. On the brighter side you have more energy so that sounds like a step in the right direction.

I'm still on 5 and trying to ride out the withdrawal symptons. I get aches and pains (feels like I'm 90) short crying outbursts (when I'm on my own), some anxiety, loss of appetite (apart from yesterday), sleeping problems, stomach aches and more.

When I had that chest infection I had two courses of anti-biotics and I wonder if there was an interaction with Citalopram . I hardly ate for three weeks. Thinking about it all my problems have been since then.

Yesterday I had more of an appetite, I ate loads but felt horribly light headed in the evening after eating. I think I overdid it. I felt so tired yesterday though, couldn't do much apart from the usual tidying up. Maybe it was from the day before when I had visitors.

Like you say, whether you are increasing or decreasing there are going to be ups and downs.

If I thought I could get rid of my lightheadedness I'd go up to 7.5 for a few days to try it. Yesterday though I actually felt worse for a few hours after taking Citalopram. It's so confusing.

Good luck with your increase and I hope you continue to have better days.

Take care

• Posted

Glad, your going to try and settle on dose for longer. My break was fab, being off work and feeling well rather than unwell, which was a bonus. Still get side effects from cita which is frustrating, it really doesnt agree with me.
    • Posted

What kind of side effects are you having Paula remind me again ?.from the celexa
    • Posted

What springs to mind is this, on reading about antibiotics.

There's a lot of research coming out about the role of a healthy microbiome in defending against dep/anx. Basically, healthy gut bugs.

Antibiotics wipe them out, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that had contributed to feeling weird on the 5mg.

Perhaps something like a probiotic supplement would help.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Hope all is going well on your new dose.

I have increased to 7.5 for three days now, I'm none the worse for it, in fact I feel a little better. Lightheadedness not so bad as it was, I do have a little anxiety but I'm trying to kick that in the backside.

I need to get a wide nail clippers to get a more accurate dose (read Lois' tip), pill cutter not accurate enough.

I'm not sleeping very well, itching and fidgety still from the withdrawal and feeling tired but I'm trying to get on with things and am feeling more positive again.

I looked back on some of my previous posts and I realize that I have been yoyo 'ing for a long while, not giving thought to withdrawal and start up effects, wasn't really aware of them back then. I'm going to try to settle on 7.5 with no more thoughts of withdrawing in the near future. Hope to feel more settled this Christmas, last Christmas was a wash out with chest infection and all.

I caught a glimpse of your post earlier today but didn't have time to reply because I had to take one of my cats to the vet. He's been yowling at night as soon as the lights go out and stops when I keep the light on for him. Turns out his eyesight is deteriorating, he's 14. Vet said he can't see in the dark and he panicks. I think the other cat might be going the same way, from the same litter, Persians. I adore them both and can't imagine being without them. I won't dwell on that now though. Then I had to go to my daughter's, I help out with laundry and cleaning on a Thursday.

Anyhow, going back to your post, whilst I was out I bought some probiotics drinks. It's worth trying, thanks for the tip.

Oh, and appetite picked up also.

Hope you are doing ok and thank you for thinking of me. Hope to keep in touch.

Best wishes ?

• Posted

Oh so sorry for your pet..yes you will inprove..just takes lots of time and dosage changes..the toe clipper works lovely..take nail clippers apart and just squeeze between the tablet between the blades and viola.
    • Posted

I meant to put tablet between the blades and squeeze..
    • Posted

Thanks Lois, got what you meant first time lol. On my shopping list for this weekend.

Many thanks for your support.

Regards

• Posted

Hello Lois have just seen your message am not getting notifications at the moment.  I get a fuzzy head and it knocks me out within minutes of taking at night, and I wake up with the internal shakes, head still fuzzy which wears off throughout the day until I take the next one.  Have constant parathesia in my foot which spreads to my right arm and hand within minutes of taking it, tinnitus, constant stomach issues, and a buzzy feeling.  Despite this am alot better than I was and at least I can function normally these days and my memory is back.  Am booked into the doctors to get some liquid citalorapram to start the weaning process, here we go again!  am not looking forward to it but cannot wait to get of it (very slowly), hope all good with you.
    • Posted

Every thing is good with me Paula..I know for sure once you start reducing very slowly and small milligrams your side effects will start diminishing ..I know it did for me going from twenty to ten ...I was ready to call it quits if the ten didn't work ..but thank God it did .. because I also was having those constant side effects from the twenty..just take your time who knows you might feel real good on a small dose .

• Posted

Lois did you get bad withdrawal when tapering down to 10mg?
    • Posted

Good, glad the increase has made you feel a bit better! That's great news. And yes to settling on them. Likewise, noticing that I am feeling better from my own increase, still some ups and downs, but it's day 7 now and usually the side effects are peaking at this point.

I'm spending much less time.ruminating over how I'm feeling, if you get what I mean.

Well done for just taking the chance and doing it. Wishing you a much easier time of it now,

Best wishes,

Ruth 😊

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I do get what you mean, that's exactly how I feel. I have definitely seen an improvement and I am more positive now. Like you say, still some ups and downs but I think I did the right thing. I won't get to cocky though, I'll get prepared for day 7 lol.

Glad you are seeing improvements too.

Best wishes ?

• Posted

No..what I did experience was relief although I had withdrawals but not bad..the relief of the side effects was very noticeable..
    • Posted

Hi Lois

Nail clippers works a treat 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.