Reassurance

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys im just after some reassurance. Ive been on citalopram 20 mg before around 2 years ago, for a year and a half for anxiety. It absolutely 100% changed my life, i had never felt so calm and confident in my adult life. After side affects they kicked in within two weeks....i was flying!

So after 18 months the doctor said that she would like me to try and come off them, and me feeling so great agreed. I had no side affects coming off and felt just the same as when i was on them. But around a month ago i started getting burned out, people started to say i looked tired and my old friend rumination came back.

So after a week of this i went straight to the doctors and told them and they offered me citalopram again, which i almost snapped there hand off for! They have also signed me off work. So ive been on the 20 mg for just over three weeks and just feel awful still?? I just dont get why they arnt working this time, I'm just running at 50%, bad anxiety in the night and morning,poor appetite( have lost a stone ) but i do feel quite calm in the afternoons?.....until the night games begin.

Regards Craig

0 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys, so i went to the family gathering to watch a night of sport didn't get in till 12am but still woke up at about 3am then snoozed till 6am. Had a little anxiety in the night but told it to bugger off and settled back down.

I have visiting the Doctor on my mind a little this morning. Wondering if she will up my dose worries me a little but in the long run it'll be better. I dont feel guilty or worthless so much over the last few days and i had two waves of feeling amazing yesterday so there deffinatley bedding in

Take care Craig

• Posted

Craig, don't let the thought of a dosage increase worry you. Be hoest about how you are feeling. I limped along for 6 months on 10mg and really wish I had gone up to the 20 mg after a month as prescribed by my doctor. Antway, I am doing it now, and better late than never. Two waves of feeling amazing is a sure sign that things are happening for you. Wonderful news, and let us know what the dr suggests. No more guilt and enjoy the break from work. Lee.
    • Posted

Thanks lee. Had a vit if a ruff day today i think its because im seing doc tomorrow.

Hope you had a good night last night

Take care Craig

• Posted

Hi, I really would try and stabilise on this dose first, it would be a massive shame to go back to the beginning with the side effects of a higher dose without giving this level a decent amount of time first xxx  I'm on week 7 and feeling so much better than at 3 weeks. Try not to worry about docs as they're only there to help you - this time tomorrow it'll be done (then you can worry about something else 😉) much love xx
    • Posted

I think your right marf. I am better than last week, its up to me now to try and get my back side in to gear. Felt blagh today but i think it also had something to do with the late night i had I did an hour of speed skipping tonight and feel marvellous......sweated all that cortisol out.

Have a good evening guys im off to watch a movie in bed xx

• Posted

Don't forget you will be up and down - it's just the meds levelling in your body.  It's very tempting to want to increase your dose but as Marf says, just give this dose lots of time to settle.

You may feel real bad one day ..... but the next day could be your best yet.

K x

• Posted

Kate can I bother you with a question? I'm on week 7 and been feeling quite good, the last couple of days I've been tired and jittery but I've also got a sore throat, do you reckon a cold/virus is likely to be making me like this? Sorry to bother you but you seem to be so good at knowing stuff xx sorry Craig for jumping in xxx
    • Posted

Yeah i think your right kate. The waves of anxiety are definitely losing there intensity, the good feelings are getting stronger and more frequent. I feel more and more coherent and am remembering things. Theres less fog/ bubble feeling. Last night i felt like i could go back to work! Slept like a log but had anxiety this morning for half an hour but felt AMAZING for an hour then levelled off.

Rocky road but feeling better everyday xx

• Posted

Hi Marf

Strangely as I speak, I've also got a sore/dry throat and tiredness - just had a cold which is lingering.  Mine actually started like that for a few days - had a really dryish throat and started feeling super tired.  It could well be that you're about to go down with a cold virus.

But yes, does sound like something is brewing for you.  I reckon as long as the sore throat lasts you'll probably feel jittery/out of sorts for a while.

Keep warm, treat yourself gently, and it'll pass along with the jitteryness.

K xx

• Posted

Yes that brain fog is a nuisance.  I'm sure it's due to our minds racing at full speed when we're not well, making them super tired and slows our thoughts and memory down.  

Recovery is so slow, and I remember hardly noticing it happen, but just knew I felt slightly different all the time.  

Yes definitely a rocky road - and sometimes the potholes in the road are bigger than others that we fall down into for a while.

Such a strange illness ...... 

K x

• Posted

Hi guys so been to Docs. Very understanding lady, she said to stick to the same dose and hang in there.she said it reaches its peak after 4 weeks. She also said i looked exhausted and has signed me off for another month. And basicly said its just a waiting game.

Take care Craig xx

• Posted

Hi guys, just checking in. Had quite a good day yesterday terrible axiety in the night and morning, but again it seems to burn its self out on the afternoon? Managed to go out and get petrol put air in the tires and go for a really long walk with the dogs. I also started reading Dr Burns book about catching thoughts and it worked well for a while but my subconscious took over in the night.

I really hope they start working soon

• Posted

Also do you think i should ask my doctor for some immediate relief?
    • Posted

Hi Craig, sorry you are not quite there yet. your Dr sounds wise not to increase your dose so early on. Stick with it. I am on day 13 of 20mg and have not noticed a difference yet, other than feeling fatigued. If the anxiety is unbeatable, perhaps chat to her about something to get you through the next two weeks. She sounds like she knows what is best for you. Good luck. Lee.
    • Posted

Hi craig , were on the same boat 2 monrhs ago,,, been struggling with my anxiety every now and then... Especially in morning and night... I really wanted to ask my doctor toincrease my citalopram but i manage to wait a little longer for the meds to started working little by little.. Tedious process it is... Now on my 17 week on 10mg... Less anxiety compare 3 mos ago.. Flat mood to happy mood as of the moment...

I tried to a lot time for anxiety.. Like for a day i give it 5 mins and usually at evening.. Then i said to myself stop now...being busy also works... I did not stop working during worst attack (august) though most of my coworker noticed the big difference in me...

Now im trying my bery best to occupy ky mind with all the positive things that is happening in me... Trying things that i dont do before..with caution of course... Surrounds myself with people i loved...

So i think you ahould ask your doctor to give you something while waiting for citalopram to work ..my doctor give me clonazepam .5mg for difficulty sleeping.. .25mg for anxiety attack (will not cause drowsiness) , now i seldom take this med.. But i always bring them for emegency purpose

Hope your doing fine

Jv

• Posted

Feel really down aswell this morning
    • Posted

This is how recovery often works.  It comes in patches ...... sometimes you might feel really bad in the morning, only to feel well later on in the day.  It will get better - the good spells will get longer and stronger.  

You're definitely showing good signs of recovery.

K x

• Posted

Have rang docs there ringing me back about something fast acting
    • Posted

The doctor said to increase the dose to 30 mg she said that she doesnt pescribe fast acting things lightly. And said they should get into my system fairly quickley over ten days. Im just chasing my tail today
    • Posted

I don't want to poo poo anything, and obviously your doctor knows best.  May I though just say that increasing may give you some more side effects temporarily, and you may still be in the same boat.  They won't relieve anything quickly.  These meds are not a quick fix, but are slow releasing.  Increasing meds doesn't make recovery any quicker.  Unfortunately letting all these horrid feelings pass over you whilst you wait is the way to go ..... and I know it's hard ..... I've been there, have paced the room, drunk whisky to numb it (ooh yes), and found that in the end it's just passing through all the unpleasantness is the answer.  I went out every day for a walk or cycle ride, and though I didn't 'see' any scenery as I was too absorbed in my feelings, I made myself go anyway.

You will get bad days and really, really bad days.  You'll also get good days and a mixture of good and bad.  It doesn't last like this throughout recovery - the bad days will lessen their intensity.

It's really hard waiting as we want to end the suffering right now.  Tomorrow might be better, or even this afternoon.  But it will come.

Feeling for you - such a tough illness.

K xx

• Posted

Hi kate, thanks for the reassurance. I took 30 mg after the doctors advise and it has heightened my anxiety lol im back to 20 mg tomorrow just so fed up

• Posted

I feel like i want to come off them aswell today😣
    • Posted

Don't come off you've done the worst bit already xx I would stay at 20mg personally and wait it out. I'm on 7 weeks at 10mg and feel much better, still a bit of a way to go but I'm ok. Have you taken diazapam to get though the horrid bits? xxx
    • Posted

Craig, that thought has crossed my mind plenty of times. Why not try and stick with your 20 mg for a little while longer? I don't believe you want to put yourself through a dose increase just yet. Just take it one day at a time and I am sure you will start to feel the benifits soon. Hang in there, Lee.
    • Posted

Just an update i have calmed down now. I will keep taking the cit its the sleep thing thats getting me. A friend has told me to get some nytol or anti histamine based sleep aid so ill give it a try

Take care Craig

• Posted

Hi, make sure whatever you take doesn't have Valerian in it as it can react with the citalopram xxx
    • Posted

Yes, maybe not a good idea at the mo to increase.  I did think it may make you feel more anxious.  You just need to get past this phase into calmer waters.  It's no easy trip - but it gets easier.

Many people do give up before they've reached the full potential of the meds.  Don't give up - you've come a long way already.  Just push on through.  If you feel bad, just post on here, we're all here to help.

My doctor told me that taking meds in the morning can help with the sleep at night.  Everyone likes to take their at different times though, so whatever suits you.  Just a thought though.

Think of the end result.  You've been there before, and you'll get there again.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.