Recovery tips for laparoscopy and/or hysteroscopy?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm now less than a week away from having both of these procedures.  I went for some required pre-surgery testing today and they gave me lots of information and instructions.  It will be an outpatient/day surgery.  Does anyone have advice to share about recovering from either or both procedures?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had laparoscopic for gallbladder removal. Surgery went good, recovery directly after was painful for me. The gas they put in my stomach to make removal possible, hurt for quite a while afterwards. Finally, eased up enough so I could move around, then felt better. Day after surgery, the gas moved to shoulder, and was quite painful for a few hours, but after that, no more trouble. Incision areas a little sore the first week or so, but not bad. Just remember, if you feel the slightest bit of pain, use the pain meds you are given. Do not wait until it gets bad, then the meds seem like they take forever to work. I only needed them for 2 days after surgery. Good lu k to you both.
    • Posted

Thank you for advice re:  pain meds, good to know!
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I had a laparoscopy 22 years ago. I had endometriosis (I knew it, my GP knew it - the guys at the hospital didn't know!rolleyes) They had a good rummage around and found 'a few tiny spots' on my gut, about which they did nothing. On the way out they brought some of those 'spots' with them and from then on my belly button bled every month.

I was in 2 nights and felt beaten-up. But like I said, it WAS 20+ years ago and they didn't know what they were looking for. So I don't expect you will have anything like that trouble.

After the initial mauling, and apart from the belly button thing, I was fine the day after.

I'm sure you will not have any such problems. But I would say to make it clear that whatever they find, they do something about it there and then, and not leave you with the same problem in the future.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Was perfectly fine after the Hysteroscopy procedure - needed no pain relief or day off work. No tiredness - just back to normal very quickly. Worst of it is I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see the Gyno for follow up - crazysad

You will breeze through

Loui x

• Posted

Thank you Elizabeth for a detailed answer. 

Gives the full picture.

I think the article that Metamorphed shared earlier on said that even one ovary is better than none at all.....because the hormones still get secreted even after menopause.... to a certain extent.

Please update us ...hope you feel much much better very soon.

• Posted

Hi there I had a laparoscopy yesterday my advise plenty to drink afterwards as your throat will likely be very dry and scratchy, have a pillow ready to hold on your stomach for whenever you cough. Mints or chewing gum to get the gross taste out of your mouth and try and keep your self mobile but don't push yourself too much. And keep on top of your painkillers
    • Posted

Thank you, Emily!  I'm going to write this down!  Hope your recovery goes well.
    • Posted

Hi Emily, hope you are doing well!  I have the dry and scratchy throat and am drinking lots of water.  Ice Breakers chewing gum is helping, too.  I took a bed pillow yesterday that we left in the car and covered my abdomen with it before putting the seat belt on, and it really helped on the short ride home.  Thank you again for sharing these details, they have been a great help!  😊
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth!

I hope you're recovering well. My thoughts and prayers have been with you. Let us know how you get on. Take care, dear!

• Posted

Thanks!  I am resting and following post-op instructions.  I posted a full update separately in the forum, feel free to read when you can... it was an adventure with a surprise result!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.