rezum procedure - was told may get 12-14 shots - does this sound right

Posted , 12 users are following.

I met with a urolologist in that is on the Rezum list. Very good credentials and reviews. He discussed rezum with me and thought i'd be a candidate based on my records. however he did want to do a cystoscope and a uridynamics.

His nurse mentioned that he has done around 100 rezums.

i asked about R/E and he told me it doesnt happen, which confused me as i know its a minor chance based on the studies. he said he has done prostate twice the size of my 80 with great success. when i asked him how many shots he thought i would have and he told me 12-14. I froze. i have never heard of anyone getting that many. Has anyone else ever received that many or knows of anyone that has had that many?

thanks in advance.

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i asked about R/E and he told me it doesnt happen, which confused me as i know its a minor chance based on the studies.

-------------

Unless he's very lucky, something is off here. I might ask him again in the context of both study and anecdotal data and see how comfortable you are with his response.

Jim

• Posted

I will ask regards to the study on the re. Not sure how to rephrase the number of shots.

I said my urologist was going to do 5-6 and he made it sound like he’s inexperience is the reason for that. Any suggestion on how to ask again on number of shots would be appreciated 

• Posted

I'm not Jim but on the paperwork I printed on the rezum  They say 6 to 8 and they show you were to inject them.  I think that doctor is out of touch or does not care.  22 shots would kill the prostate You don't want that.  Have a good day.  Ask your doctor again. 5 or 6 is good.  2 on each side and 1 in the median lobe if you have one.  Have a great day.  I sure did  Ken

• Posted

Ken,

Can you show me where you found that paperwork on the 6-8 shots and where to inject them?

• Posted

Lets hope you can fine it.  It is a 24 page instruction sheet it is what the doctor should know..  Just put in Rezum instructions And it should be in the middle of the page. It will say Rezume Instructions for use of the Delivery Device Kit.  It has a lot of good stuff in it.  Hope you can find it   Ken  Let me know 
    • Posted

Thank ken . I found it. I have to figure out if I go back to this guy for testing in 2 weeks or look for someone else. I still have my uro. He’s only done 2 but someone from rezum is there during the procedure for any dr that has not done 10. Still, I’d rather have experience on the procedure .
    • Posted

Being he will have someone there is good.  And if he told you 5 or 6 is a good thing.  That may be all you need.  You have to say to yourself Do you trust him or do you start all over again.  There is a lot of good information in the 24 pages .  It's good to know what the doctor is suppose to know.    Good luck  Ken  Also I think it is good for the doctor to talk about how many shot to give.  Not wing it and they he decides 10 to 12 that is to many  

• Posted

My prostate was 54 gms, I had 7 shots: 3 left, 3 right, 1 middle. This was a bit different than the plan the doctor discussed with me ahead of time. I asked him why the change and he said that he adjusted on the fly to what he felt was best according to what he "saw." I think there is a lot of art to the Rezum procedure.

My procedure was 14 months ago. I am now 63. I'd say that it has gotten my urination to 80% of normal. My life is much more livable. IPSS went from 21 to 5, PVR is zero (if I really try to empty), no RE. 

Ask your urologist about his proposed plan for you. Where would the injections be and how many. 12 to 14 seems to be a bit high. You can always get fewer, see how it works, and have it again if you don't get enough improvement. At least that's one of the claimed benefits of this minimally invasive procedure.

Best wishes!

Bill

• Posted

Thank you William.  That seam more like it.  In the article I have they show the 6 places that you should do the injection and where not to.  It just depends on the doctor how it is done. I feel 8 and under seams like it is the best.  Anything more I think would destroy to much tissue  By the way how big was your prostate  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Will never mind I was thinking of something use Have a good night  Ken
    • Posted

William,

Thank you. What was your pvr prior to rezum? Also how long were you on foley and how long till you started feeling better?

• Posted

PVR was 50 to 150 ml prior to Rezum. I was not on the Foley at all. I did one self cath the night of the procedure just to be sure that I was empty. I did not need to do it after that since I could get enough out to satisfy me that I wasn't in retention.

I felt back to normal physically (when not urinating or thinking about urinating) two days after the procedure. For the first two weeks I was up at night every two hours or less. Very little urination, but great urge to go. Had urgency day and night and burning at tip of penis when urinating.

After 3 weeks stream was better than before Rezum. Had first sex at 21 days. Orgasm was maybe 25% of previous enjoyment level and was brownish. Two months after Rezum, orgasm was back to normal in intensity and color.

I'd say that it took 4 months to get over the urgency and penis tip pain issues and get back to being totally better. However, it was only a few days before I was functional for day-to-day activities.

• Posted

William,

Was it your choice not to do foley?

Where did you get it done?

• Posted

I had the choice to self cath or use a foley. Since I had the foley for one night three months prior after having a bladder stone removed, I opted for the self cath route. It had to be better than the foley. It was.

Dr. Levin at Chesapeake Urology, Baltimore, did my procedure. I live in Pittsburgh and it's about a four hour drive, but it was worth it.

• Posted

William,  I also live in Pittsburgh.  I don't find urologists in general doing anything progressive in this area.  It's varieties of TURP and Greenlight Laser with some spotty Urolift.  I can't find anyone that does pressure-flow studies for bladder health as well.  I'm glad that you're doing well.  I will look up Dr. Levin at Chesapeake Urology.  Cam

• Posted

He has a Youtube video. Search "Levin rezum" and you will go right to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.