Rib Cage Tightness anxiety symptom

Posted , 6 users are following.

I knew I had anxiety before but I'm having symptoms I've never had before and didn't know it was from anxiety until I did research. I have had a knot that hurt come up along my spine in my lower back which I had a long time ago and had it checked out and it was just a muscle knot. It subsided eventually. I've been stressed out over personal issues lately and noticed it came back but not on there but another area of my spine and one on 2 ribs on each side of my chest that bugged me when I'd try to sleep on my stomach . Then a couple days ago I did get extra stressed and all of a sudden I had horrible pressure and a tingling sensation in my lower ribs on both sides that hurt. So I start getting scared and it got worse. It would get better sometimes and then worse again. I've been researching trying to get an idea what this could be. I came across a few possibilities but Rib Cage Tightness Anxiety Symptoms fits what I have perfectly. Has anyone else had this symptom of anxiety?

2 likes, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes I get that tightness around the ribs, usually the sides, also get the knotted feeling too......all anxiety. Might try the no-bra trick to see if it helps
  • Posted

Rib Cage Tightness Anxiety Symptoms??

Who invented them?

• Posted

They just crept up on us, and they are real
    • Posted

OK................just never heard of them. I thought it was a joke, honestly, Iris, like the bloke who said his phone felt lighter in his hand the other day. I mean, surely that was a joke!

My husband's always saying his phone feels lighter in his hand all of a sudden, and can he post on the Anxiety Forum? It never fails to make me roar with laughter.

• Posted

I don't know who invented them but they need to stop!!!

• Posted

I was just joking too, so don't worry......yes I do get aching ribs when anxious. It feels like I've been to one of those "all you can eat for £15 buffets", like the ribs are going to snap.

• Posted

Exactly, then I feel like I can't breath depending enough and get enough oxygen in my lungs

• Posted

I must try it.......thanks for the tip
    • Posted

Yes the belly breathing seems to loosen it up!
    • Posted

When his wallet feels light in his hand is when he needs to worry
  • Posted

Hi! You have my sympathies. I'm going through something pretty similar. I'm suffering quite badly from health anxiety (so I'm told, although the nature of the beas is that I don't actually know if its anxiety or something real...). I feel mild breathlessness most of the time unless I'm completely at rest. I can never seem to properly fill my lungs. I have a near-constant 'tired' feeing in the muscles of my back, neck and ribs. I get frequent headaches. I have heart palpitations often, including perceived skipped beats, fast rate, and throbbing neck pulse. I feel either loyally wired with anxiety, or completely exhausted. I'm totally fearful of exerting myself past walking the dog. And I actively avoid any situation that causes me even slight nervousness.

So, convinced that I must either have serious lung disease, or at the very least a dodgy heart, I went to the doctors. Over the last year I've had numerous doctors checkovers, a blood test, 2 ECG's and a holter monitor. All clear. However.... because doctors don't think I'm a candidate for further tests, I'm still not convinced. Anxiety diagnosed then, for which I have been given sertraline (which I'm too scared to take) and propranolol (which I'm too scared take).

I hope you improve. All the best

• Posted

Thanks for the replies and yes, it's real. Put it in a search engine and you'll see. I didn't know it was a "thing"either. All I did was type in my symptoms ant that was one of the suggestions. It put my mind at ease reading that. Not having a bra helps some but it still is there after taking it off. My bras are not tight fitting though.

• Posted

Well, I've learned a lot from all this. I did google it eventually.

Maybe Iris is actually having the ALL YOU CAN EAT buffet 24/7 and does not wish to admit it. She seems rather boastful about her breasts.

Good for you, Iris! Stand up and be counted. My sister had a mastectomy and didn't want reconstruction - so she has specially-made bras instead.

Each to their own, eh?

And I wasn't mocking anyone, I promise.

• Posted

No tess, I'm not having the all you can eat buffets......I have no appetite, sadly. I'm not boastful about my breasts.....I went 18 months without them before reconstructions....I think I earned them! I too had post surgery bras for that length of time

• Posted

Sorry - that was my misplaced sense of humour, Iris. What you wrote on here has helped me understand lots of things, so thank you.

I wasn't in any way trying to be offensive. I think you're very brave and you definitely earned your new breasts. Sorry again.   xx Tess

• Posted

Thank you tess. I know I'm sensitive at the moment, having just lost my brother and blood clots on lungs last year, and this year it has been pneumonia and labyrinthitis, with a helping of depression/anxiety thrown in for good measure.

• Posted

We need humour to ease our tension honey. I have laughed reading the posts here and the knots in my neck have unravelled.

I like to post inappropriate comments on the Forum cos we all get so caught up in our symptoms it's a relief to be diverted, especially by incorrigible beings such as you and I and Cia and many otherssmile

Bless you!!!!!

• Posted

I wish I was incorrible lol! I'm like a wound up coil right now, probably far too impatient to be well, I don't lack confidence.....I've travelled to NZ a few times to see my son and his family. I love a good laugh too, but as soon as I get up my body seems to go into overdrive

• Posted

Don't worry, we'll soon lead you astray into the path of Inapropriateness smile

• Posted

Soooo.....do all you ladies feel very anxious from getting out of bed? I'm beginning to think I'm pre-conditioned. It's like waiting for a delivery, and it doesn't arrive until 4.30. Got to wear my bra today.....I'm going out. Breathing exercises do nothing for me. I try to keep occupied, but there's only so much housework you can avoid! To is crap in the afternoons. Maybe a toyboy?

• Posted

Mornings, upon waking, are something of a hurdle.

The mind immediately hones in on, with dread I might add, How do I feel? The dread and fear of impending symptoms lets them in. They stampede like bison to the watering hole..So

It's vital to get up out of that bed and not lay there "listening " in to the symptoms. No matter how crappy you feel get up and begin your day as best as you can.

It's not about trying to ignore how you feel cos that fighting mode creates added stress. It's about accepting you feel as you feel and getting on with things.

No rushing round either! That piles on the anxiety and anyway, you can't outrun anxiety. It's a hell of a lot swifter than anyone of us will ever be...but....If we don't panic we can make it fade away.

It's not easy to overcome but overcome it we can!

Together that is...smile

• Posted

I know it's strange but since I am busy with my cats and dig in the morning that is the best time for me, I usually start feeling crappy later in the day 3pm ish. I also find that acidic food like tomatoes set my stomach off and then the ribs tighten.

One dr told me to her checked for GERD.

I am on so many medications now I can't imagine taking more for this nasty sounding thing.

GERD just sounds so gross, lol

• Posted

I don't think it strange at all. You obviously wake in the morning and your mind is set on the your "plans" and thus diverted from your body. Once your tasks are fullfilled and there is a lull in things to occupy your mind and body...Here it comes again! That feeling

I have Gerd

Don't shy away from help with Gerd. Stomach problems are rampant amongst anxiety sufferers and I would encourage you take take what help you can.

Another tablet? What difference does taking one more make when you already have an army of them to swallow.

Medication is just another tool in our Help And Survival Box. And taking medication not only helps with physical symptoms but with emotional ones too! It says we are helping ourselves, taking control to make ourselves better.

That can't be a bad thing cos God knows we need all the help we can get

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.