Riding the storm of an anxiety blip

Posted , 16 users are following.

For all of you suffering at the minute you will get through this, i am currently having to repeat this to myself...it will pass again. My last dealings with anxiety was 6 years ago and I mean I've had nothing for all that time. So when my anxiety reared its ugly head recently after what has been a particularly difficult year so far with family loss and illness I freaked out. All the work and coping mechanisms I'd learnt seemed a million miles away and I just didn't know how to deal with it again. My anxiety always manifests with pure panic, palpitations, nausea/ vomiting, a cycle of fight or flight symptoms basically. I can't seem to stop the over thinking again and that horrible sense of doom. I know deep down I can do this as I've done it before but isn't it just utter crap feeling like this. Debilitating is the perfect word for what we go through. Anyone out there that's making the journey through an anxiety relapse?

7 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi Sarah,

I'm getting there, just taking a day at a time. Try not to overthink what's covid and what's anxiety, I know that's not easy. I can feel my anxiety starting to lift again but i also know getting through the other side of it is never linear. My key as always is acceptance and now i have started to come out if it. We can do this x

• Edited

Hi Sarah,

Yes. I am having a relapse. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and started on Zoloft ( As well as Klonopin). I weaned myself off after 4 years. 6 weeks ago I started having severe headaches. They ruled out any physical issues. I just started back on Zoloft on 7/1. Today is day 9. Trying to hang in there. Very tough. Headaches, anxiety, not wanting to leave the house. Have a tiny bit of Xanax to help but I am only using that if I have to. My meds were prescribed by my PCP. I have a psych dr appt on 7/20. Can't see a therapist until 9/2. I really didn't want to go through this again. It was horrible the first time. I will pray for both of us.

• Edited

Hi there, definitely hang in there with the meds as they just need a bit of time to do their job. Dont feel bad if you need the Xanax its there if you need it. None of us want to go through it again because it makes us feel so awful but you are a strong person who needs to be kind to themselves right now, just allow it to happen and trust in the fact that it will get better. I am feeling so much better so we can do this, just be patient and kind with yourself, let others help. Your body and mind just need a rest but youll get back to where you were before and this will be another challenge that you have overcome. I know that you will be ok, I truly believe that we become stronger each time. Try and get some fresh air and notice all the wonderful things around you, listen to music you love, meditate or read a light hearted book if you can (if you cant you will be able to at some point). Never give up because you are enough, the anxiety isnt you as a person it just thinks its protecting you right now from a danger that isnt there. sending love S x

• Edited

this is great advice. i too am having a blip now. it feels awful. back in all the meds again. constant panic, nauseous and cant eat. tired yet cant sleep. i find being out actually helps. walking or popping into a shop and just talking to someone. i found the support on here so helpful on my last anxiety attack. i would do anything to help anyone going through this.

• Edited

This by far has been the worst anxiety I’ve had in my life! I’ve dealt with anxiety of some kind throughout my life for a couple years ago I became worse! I deal with Health anxiety, GAD, health anxiety, severe depression, OCD and panic disorder! I have such a hard time staying out of my head thinking good thoughts!! But in the next Few weeks I’m going to start TMS hoping and praying for a miracle!

• Posted

hi. im going throught he exact same. i have been anxiety free for 4 or 5 years. just had covid and felt awful. had sickness and diarrhea and that has bought back anxiety. im frightened to go through it again. had a terrible day Saturday, a good day yesterday and bad again today. i dont feel like i can do this again. i just want everything to be back to normal. having covid i could t see anyone or even try to oush through the anxiety as i was iaolating and felt so unwell. i am exhausted yet cabt sleep or relax. waiting for a call back from the drs hoping for some diazepam. im so glad i remembered this place. it really helped me last time

• Posted

hi sarah. firstly im sorry you are feeling this way. debilitating is the best word to describe these feeling. you mentioned you have had a tough year so firstly be accepting of that and know that will explain why you are anxious again. are you taking any medication currently?? my anxiety is exactly the same and i too start thinking why cant i stop it this time. my brain also convinced me that im panicky and anxious...any advice for turning these thoughts.off?? i hope you start to feel stronger soon. coming in here was a massive help when inlast struggled so you have done the right thing. everyone is very supportive and understanding. i come on here when i feel an attack coming on. listening and talking really helps.

• Posted

Hi Joanne, thanks for replying. Anxiety is so awful isn't it debilitating is the perfect word for describing it. I'm getting better each day, distraction is a great technique when your brain starts to go into anxiety overdrive. Get some headphones on and play music that you love, try to change your focus but also don't try and fight your brain either. Simply reply in your head that you know its trying to help you from some awful situation but that you are safe and you are not in danger. Accept what its trying to say but say thank you but those feelings are not needed. It can really take the power out of it and the fear. They are horrible feelings but that's all they are. Eventually your brain will get the message and day by day you'll get stronger and more confident as you deal with it more positively. I take 20mg of citalopram and if i have to take it forever that's fine by me. I am definitely proof that things get better every time its just the hardest thing when your dealing with the hardest part and all the symptoms that go with it. Keep going because you are going to get there. Take care Sarah

• Posted

thanks Sarah . u am in 40mg of citalopram and I'm happy to take that forever. my de said if it works then stuck with it. our thoughts are our own worst enemy. i get the slightest little feeling and my brain is saying ..oh here we go, your getting panicky i bet you'll feel sick soon ..yep now your gonna get heart palpitations oh yes they they are . its like your mind convinces you youvare anxious. i do find being busy helps and distraction is the key. it's good to know there are other people.out here who understand and support you. take care

• Edited

Thank you Sarah. You will get through this. I am going through something similar right now. My first anxiety attack happened ten years ago. For no reason I would start sweating and panic. Get up and pace. Sometimes cry. Thought I was going to end up in a mental institution. No control. No reason. very frightened. I don't remember how long it lasted but it was months. It turned into insomnia and I got about ten hours sleep total in thirty days. Wasn't tired at all. It slowly got better and I could get more and more sleep every day. I have been free of my anxiety for ten years. Completely fine although I always thought about it.

I recently brought my favorite cat to the vet and I was told she had stomatitis and needed all her teeth pulled. It would cost $3500.00. I went home and kept thinking about it and like a punch in the face I was back with anxiety and fear of something. Not as bad as the first time but bad enough to visit the pcp office after 2 weeks. I was given buspar. Took it for a few weeks twice a day and it subsided. Its been a month feeling good again and I was online trying to find some songs that an old friend may have put on youtube. I haven't seen him in over thirty years and when I looked online I saw RIP Alan H. There was a memorial with a song he wrote that I loved when he first wrote it in 1977. I flipped out completely. I couldn't believe how old he looked. I am having mild panic attacks thinking my wife may die and I will be alone or I will die and leave her alone. I retired two years ago, moved to another state and we are together all the time. Started the buspar again but it just takes the edge off. I fear this will be ongoing. I can' even listen to that song or think about him but the thought is stuck in my head repeating again and again. I have tried saying I will get over this. It's normal. I'm really scared. I don' know what to do. I don't have any real friends here. The neighbors around me are not like the ones where I came from. I came here to see what works for others.

• Posted

Hi Steve it will pass again i promise, the problem is youve had a couple of big things happen which is the same as me. My mum in-law died in March, then I had to step in at my daughters school because she was being bullied and then my 17 year old son had a collapsed lung just out if the blue. Those of us with anxiety will then start thinking about all the bad things that can happen we start to catastrophise everything who we could lose, how would we cope etc. I'm exactly the same i think about losing people in my family. We have to bring ourselves back to the present. Live each day as it happens and enjoy what we have. I'm sure the friend you have lost would say the same and one day when youre ready and strong enough you will listen to his music. Be kind to yourself and dont rush anything because it will just happen and youll feel the change. Keep going, we're all on here look out for one another. S x

• Edited

I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm 20 and i've been suffering with anxiety for as long as i can remember. You're not alone. I suffer from severe panic attacks my symptoms are nausea, tightness in the throat, palpations, feeling like I need to escape, depersonalization, and sweating. There are many more but I wont list all of them. What helps me is I will read everyone else's experience and I will realize i'm not alone.

• Edited

hi, I've been struggling with anxiety since November last year.

I too have the headaches, brain fog, heart racing, full body shakes. It comes out of nowhere which makes it worse, I'm living on edge wondering when another attack is going to happen.

I overthink everything, I'm constantly checking on the internet when i have symptoms which then make me worse. Its a vicious cycle.

I'm currently on setraline and propranolol which don't seem to work. Ive tried asking my doctor about diazipam but she said that wasn't an option as it can be addictive.

I think I'm going crazy as i think there's something underlying rather than it being anxiety as i have never had this before. All blood tests have came back fine and yet in the back of my mind i'm still thinking what if they have missed something.

I am glad i have found this forum

• Edited

Welcome Elizabeth,

There is nothing wrong with you. Anxiety will make you think there is a brain problem or something else. I had the same thoughts. Like Sarah said, you will overcome this. Keep saying this to yourself. If you have thoughts that keep haunting you and can't stop thinking them over and over, try telling yourself... I will think this over later. I am busy now and I will think about it later. Only, don't think about it later. I wish you well as we are all here because we need a common place to try to figure this out and comfort each other.

• Posted

thank you for your reply Steve.

This is overwhelming for me but reading your process and how to handle it gives me hope that i will beat this.

I'm just wanting to be myself again and i know that i will get there.

• Edited

elizabeth, you will get over this. The time it takes varies. 10 years ago I had a very bad episode. That was my first one. It was horrible. I would be trying to watch tv and jump up sweating and saying to myself " Oh No" and then start pacing. Never knew what I was worried about to this day. But I was extremely worried about something. Lying in bed trying not to think anything bad and start sweating again and get out of bed and walk around or go on the internet for a few hours. This time I went to my PCP and she gave me buspar. It takes a few weeks to work but I noticed a difference in three days. My anxiety is not half as bad as the last time and yesterday I actually felt euphoric and was laughing again. Then a slight dip again but I put those thoughts on the back burner. I was really good all day today. I know this will work for you.

Another thing that worked for me ten years ago was when I was almost healed and started to think an attack was coming, I would try to think of something I was excited about. Like going on vacation or buying something soon. The feeling is almost the same except anxiety is on the bad side and excitement is on the good side. Try to tip the bad feelings over to the good side if it makes any sense. I also found it only works in mild situations for me. Hang in there. You will overcome this.

• Posted

Hi Steve, I'm going on holiday in August and i can't get exited about it! I keep thinking what if i take an attack on the plane and it terrifies me. I constantly check my heart rate. I know this is not good for me, if its ok then im good but if its high i panic and it gets higher along with all my other symptoms

My attacks come out of nowhere and even woke me up out of a sleep. I'm sick of contacting doctors as i think i'm wasting their time. I wish there was an easy fix but sadly not. I hate this version i have become, tired. withdrawn, anxious and distant. its come to the point now its effecting my work life. I have had several attacks at work and had to be sent home. I will be me again... one step at a time.

• Edited

Are you possibly having attacks from the anxiety of going on vacation?

You may not know it but subconsciously your mind is thinking of it. Unless, of course, you know what is causing the attacks.

Ten years ago (my first attack) I was going to Aruba where I go almost every year. Never had anxiety about it before. I was worried about my pets being fed and taken care of along with other little things that turn out to be big things in my mind. That's when it all started. I still don't know if that was it but my concerns about the pets and my responsibilities didn't help matters, If you know what you're worried about, start there. Resolve the issue. Then the anxiousness may subside.

• Posted

i'm looking forward to going on holiday but deep down worried that i have an attack and waste others holiday with me being like this.

Yesterday was a bad day, i couldn't get my head together. I feel like i'm letting everyone down by being this way.

I honestly don't know what triggers them. I will feel fine one minute then out of nowhere it comes on.

The GP has changed my medication from setraline to fluxotine. Ive been on it a week so hopefully this starts to help me.

Its great to see that i am not alone and your support encourages me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.