Sciatica over 6 months, now unbearable. :'(

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi, I've just joined & hope someone may be able to give me some hope.  I've had sciatica pain down my right leg now since January.  It came on suddenly one day & continued to come & go with my thigh muscle also contracting by itself.  In the last few days it has got much, much worse & is now constant. Saw GP 3 days ago & am being referred to surgeon probably for an MRI scan initially. I was given Gabapentin previously but found it didn't help the pain much & just made me so drowsy & kept eating!  Doctor has offered amitryptyline but I'm now sure, I'm already on Citalopram for depression. Has anyone tried this?  Does it work?  I am so desperate for pain relief, I am only 42 with a 3 year old daughter & I'm now unable to walk very well or even stand for more than a minute.    I haven't been able to go to work since Thursday & feeling so depressed with it all.  :'(

2 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi bagoomummy

Im exactly the same in constant agony to the point were im ashamed to say ,getting in a bath has become limited as the pain is unbearable I have to contend with strip wash ,ive gone from being energetic ,working ,loving life ,to no job ,house bound ,depressed ,living of pain killers ,and unable to walk ..

I finally did have a scan after months which showed L4L5 crushing nerves was told surgery next couple of weeks ,had not heard anything so foned surgeons secretary to be told ...oh yes looking at end of September !!!# I told her I couldnt cope that long ,then foned my own doctor who wrote a letter then I got appointment for end of july for pre op ..I know this doesnt sound to far now.but every day im deteriorating ,these drs dont take this sort of thing serious and how much it destroys ur life ,it sounds dramatic ,but it wipes ur life away they dont realize the amount of pain you actually suffer ....

.I dont want surgery im scared to have it but I have no life left ,I barely sleep ,I just spend each day trying to get comfortable ,cant sit ,cant lay down ive aged so much in last year ,my car is just parked up as I cant drive it ,my shopping is done online ..

I just pray this surgery gives me back my life ...

I hope we all get our lives back ..

Drs need to take this more seriously as it could really send you to a place were u would never thing you would contemplate before ...

I wish you luck x

• Posted

Oh bless you I'm so sorry to hear how much you are suffering.  sad  The pain is truly horrendous & I agree that GPs don't seem to understand just how bad it is.  I had one in particular make me feel like I was just a time waster, I left the surgery feel so desperate.  sad Thankfully I saw a much nicer doctor last week & he has written the referral for me but I am now in a pickle as the surgeon can't see me until AUGUST & that is PRIVATE too, not even NHS!  I have private medical insurance through my employer but it's not making thins move as quick as I hoped!  I hope tomgoodness that your surgery is a comlplete success & that you get back a good quality of life, this is such a debilitating condition which sometimes has a simple fix albeit scary surgery but I'm sure you will be in the best surgical hands.  If it's any help, my husband had a partial discetomy last January at the tender age of just 36 at the time & he was fine.  He said waking up & feeling that the horrendous pain had gone from his leg was wonderful!  smile Stay strong, there IS hope for us all!  smile x x x

• Posted

I hear what your saying Mimm ,the sitting in a car is Horendous ,15 mins and I'm done for . Last indoors you can just stand up at will and walk around slowly . I've got Pudental neuralgia ,as a female the nerve ends affects female Gyne area , it happens to male parts also . This I never knew , so sympathy to those it affects below . I no longer do big shop since this began ,I get home delivery as yourself . ( what female doesent like shopping non ) but the pain / ache sitting sure put that to bed . I only stay local for odd bits of shopping that's enough car sitting . I guess all this is same for most or all of us . Many get bowel pressure from sciatica , friends dread a BM am as it increases the discomfort . Anyone relate to this as an issue ? 😥

• Posted

Hi Marlene - Wow, I can relate to all of that. I drove 3 1/2 hours and could not get out of the car. I ended up on a gurney and in the ER. This was in the early days of my back problem. And, oh yes, the BM's I dread. Basically, any task where the hips are lowered, it's dreadful. 

It's all about pacing yourself to do the little that we can do before the pain spikes and it's like starting all over again trying to calm down the inflammation. I find some relief in Excedrin Migraine. Alleve used to help me but in view that I also have terrible tinnitus, the Alleve spiked the ringing to no end. Yes, walk around slowly in the house is what I'm really proficient at.

I see my doc tomorrow and we'll see what he has to say. He's only my GP but I'm scheduling with my neuro doc also.

Hope you have a pain free day!

• Posted

Thanks for that marlene and yes I can relate to all u have said ..Bm the worst..

Im hoping surgery will help , life is awful until then ..

I bought the bio freeze they have talked about and yes not took pain away but has given me some relief ..

Thanks

• Posted

Hi thanks for reply,

Yes im holding on and trying to stay.strong and focus in my mind how life is going to be after surgery ..

Just like to say my daughter bought some bio freeze this morning ,it has not took pain away but most defiantly give me some relief ..would recommend it for light relief to anyone , any sort.of help is great and this has helped ,thanks to everyone who mentioned it ..

• Posted

Ditto Glen dreaded T here as well 12 yrs of it ,spikes galore ,plus bad Sinisitis/Rhinitis . Like I say to drs try and cope with top ( head) and Bottom area in trouble . Only those with it get what it's like trying to cope daily . No way I could drive 31/2 hours . It's given me anxiety since this all kicked off ,but that's going on with many of us who get these unwanted health problems long term , that's never fixed by drs . Glad I don't have to work ,no way I could . Will look up Excedrin , Im wary of meds due to having the tinnitus , even a Paracetamol . Im on a BP med so again it's a nightmare to find something that doesent interfere with that one med I take only . Will say don't do Kegels , it tightens the Pelvis makes pain/ ache worse . Learnt that the hard way . Im so glad of a recliner chair 😊 sad old life we lead coping as we do . Takecare 

• Posted

Mimm,try cold packs ,that will help with inflammation ,and I've got a heating cushion . Try anything that eases it . Stay with the gel ,really rub it in ,get someone to do it for you as it's hard to get right at it . Yes life is the pits . Dread starting any day off ,long day it can be . 

• Posted

Me too Mimm!  My hubby bought me a tube of the gel home today, it felt really lovely on & I shall be smothering a load more on shortly before bedtime.  Of course it doesn't make the sciatica go away but it feels nice & is a distraction for a while hey?!  smile 

• Posted

Hi. I can identify with all you are suffering and agree with how its affecting my life too .tho i have been limited with walking for about five years needing hold onto hubbys arm or a shopping trolley . Long walks were impossble and i never knew why i still dont . Since july.my walking ability has deteriorated i am 68 a nd gaving to use a stick my legs feel weak like jelly it takes so much effort to walk at all i am now staying at home if i go out in the car i rarely get out as i feel precarious.and unstable .befire july i managed to walk but only short distance but no aids. I used to love hiking walking miles my hubby has to walk alone now i told my gp.i wouod prob be in a wheelchair if it got any worse last june .i was sent to a physio who just sai d i was out of condition needed to exercise more ... heel raises balancing one leg this i was doing tho not sure that was cause .then i had an emergency operation in march so stopped seeing physio .july my walking deteriorated so cant do anything.all.takes so much effort and pain both leg s plantar .fascitis in left foot heel .pain both hips knees. Thigh leg giving way. Pain trying lift leg quality life is now very upsetting. My gp wouldnt do another mri as i had one last year .said wouodnt sjow any different but i cant see how it cant show anything new as i was walking before and not now.. Awaiting the msk app again. Couod be months. Think they would be shocked to see the difference in me as they hadnt found anything to justify my walking problem .said mri showed nothing that would cause it . physio s dont believe in using mris tho as show lots things that are normal ageing deterioration . Dont know who to believe . Its comforting to hear others stories and knowing there are positive outcomes i dont want to be relying on pills either. .

• Posted

If your state is one of the less nanny states, there are some oils and salves that help at the Green cross places.

If you live in a state that allows you to grow, it's pretty simple to make your own.

• Posted

Thanks bbqjoe but I'm in the uk.  I'm currently sitting here with my TENS machine on full whack so that I don't cut off my leg with the nearest rusty blade!  This little heavenly gadget is the only thing keeping me sane right now!  sad

• Posted

They say laughter is the best medicine......

A woman says to her husband, would you please go shopping for me?

The husband replies, sure, what would you like?

The wife says, please get a gallon of milk, and if they have avocados, get six.

The husband returns, and the wife asks, why did you get six gallons of milk?

The husband says, because they had avocados.

Most men will get this right away.

Many women will have to reread this a number of times.

• Posted

😂 Yep men really ARE that daft sometimes! Lol

• Posted

Hi Bagoomummy,

Just wondered things are going. It's been a while since your first post, have you had any improvement in your symptoms?

• Posted

Hi Gary, aw thank you for asking, no I'm afraid not, if anything I feel like it's got more painful.  I am just trying to take it as easy as possible, staying off my feet as much as I can & just praying my appointment with the consultant on 3rdof August comes around quickly!  Using Biofreeze just before I go to bed so that I can get to sleep but sadly I don't stay asleep very well, the pain wakes me up.  I was awake at 3am today.  I'm sorry to sound like a right old miseryguts but I know that everyone on here does understand. Thank you for asking after  & I hope you are doing ok yourself.  smile 

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Bagoomummy. Hope the biofreeze hits the spot tonight. Sleepless nights can really take you to a freaky desperate place eh.

Roll on 3rd of August...

• Posted

I feel your pain. One day at a time and I'm grateful for my heat pad and to be able to work laying down! Lol. I work on my laptop and phone from bed now. August 3rd will be here just as July 31st when I see a surgeon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.