Sdp

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was on income support with disabilty premium from 2005 which automatically changed over to income related esa support group in 2015.i am also on middle rate care and higher rate mobility dla since 2006., live alone and nobody has ever claimed care allowance for me On visiting cab this wk for help with filling in forms because my dla is finishing and i have to claim pip. What is sdp.. I have never heard of it. Thanks ks

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thanks Denise x
  • Posted

Hi.. Advice needed please, on checking my bank account today i find a sum of money paid to me today from dwp.. (Benifits not due till next wk) rang dwp and was told i, ve been awarded sdp, backdated till 30th nov, i adked why november and she said thats when im entitled to it from. She e said someone will ring me later to explain. So i started middle rate care over 10 yrs ago, lived alone since 2009, nobady claims carers allowance for me and i was put into esa support group in june 2014..so iv, e no idea why its been backdated to November. Advise needed please. Kim oh and she said its nothing to with support group esa.
    • Posted

Hi,

To be totally honest, i have no idea why you've only been backdated till November. As you say you've lived alone and been in the Support Group since June 2014. The premiums are only paid with Income related benefits but because you live alone you must be on Income Related. My advice to you is to wait till you recieve that phone call. If you're still not happy once the person has explained then tell them this while on talking to them. Hopefully you'll get it sorted. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Denise yes im income related.. Noveber is just a random date to me.. Will have ti wait for phone call, will let you know outcome. Kim
    • Posted

Yes, that doesn't meake any sense to me either. Please do let me know and i really hope you get it sorted. That's an awful lot of money to miss out on.

• Posted

Dont get me wrong , i, m gratefull that i, m now going to get the sdp, but as you say it, s a lot of money.
  • Posted

I wasn't going to comment but here goes nothing...

The computer system cannot usually handle paying long term arrears automatically. They are usually calculated manually off line and paid in a separate lump sum.

I think the system has been able to pay you back to November but someone will have to work out and pay any arrears before that date.

Obviously I can't know for sure but that's what usually happens.

When you ring you get a telephone operative who wouldn't have the skills to know that necessarily which is why they would arrange a call back.

If the info you've given regarding dates and the benefits you were on is correct and you met the criteria back to the earlier date, as I said without seeing the case that's my interpretation.

All the best

Wendy

I

• Posted

Well Wendy you were correct just got the phone call, and they ate paying me from when they transferd from income support to esa.. I nearly fainted when she told me home much the payment will be, she admitted mistake was made by dwp... Apparently it will bevon my account by next Tuesday.. So just like to thank everyone for their help and support... Kim
    • Posted

Fantastic news Kim, so glad to hear you got it sorted. Enjoy that money, you deserve it! xx
  • Posted

Thank Denise.. I, m still in shock... Does make you wonder how many people are not actually claiming the benefits /premiums they should be.. Kimx
    • Posted

You're welcome. Yes, it does indeed. Celebrate and treat yourself when you have that money and buy a chocolate cake as well cheesygrin Have to love chocolate cake lol  x

• Posted

Fantastic news Kim.  biggrin

They will not treat the backdate as Savings or Capital either...that should be written in your letter of explanation when it arrives. There was an open date on mine. 

• Posted

Hi Maureen sorry but what do you mean by open date please. Kim x
    • Posted

Hi Kim

Usually backdated amounts are not classed as Capital until 12months has lapsed but in these cases I think I am right in saying that they are not going to take these amounts into account after 12months.

Whether this will happen with Housing and Council Tax Benefits I am not sure because I am waiting to hear back from them with a decision within the next couple of weeks.

If you receive HB/CT Benefits you will need to send them copies of your letters to show them what you have received from the DWP..

I'm sorry I did not want to complicate things for you. Just wanted to advise you on what I have had to do since my backdate smile

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

You are correct in what you say, that backdated money will never be counted as savings/capital BUT you do need to have this in writing from DWP. This should also be the case for any means tested benefits.

The reason is because if you had been paid correctly in the past you would have more than likely spent the money on extra things, as having a disability can mean extra expense. As you never had the money, how could you spend it. For this reason it's dis-regarded.

• Posted

Hi Denise

thanks for clarifying thatsmile

I bought myself an electric adjustable bed!!

I never thought i would get so excited about a bed..!!!but it's brilliant, best thing ever!!.cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Maureen,

You're welcome. Fantastic! I hope it helps you sleep better. I must admit i thought about buying one but decided i just can't get rid of the mattress i have lol. There's no other mattress like it. Enjoy your bed! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.