SERTRALINE brands

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Just got home from gp's with a different brand of sertraline, has enyone noticed any differences between brands,?

The last brand I had was MEDREICH the new ones are RANBAXY.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lots of posts here, if you check back, that show many of us have suffered when the brand has been changed...
  • Posted

When a drug is developed the company has a 14 year licence to produce the drug (like a patent) after that other companies can produce it as a generic.

The NHS is now buying generics from Indian companies like Ranbaxy to cut costs.

All my heart medicine has different shape tablets and different names from time to time.

We have amongst the tightest drug controls in the world and you needn't worry about your health being compromised. This is simply to save money.

• Posted

True it's simply to save money but generic drugs are NOT the same!! Many people suffer with bad side effects if the brand is changed!
    • Posted

The NHS would have tested the products to make sure the generic was duplicate and had the same delivery system. Maybe in other countries but I do not believe Britain would accept inferior products.
    • Posted

Yes you would think this is the case in the UK but in reality the ingredients in generic drugs can vary...

Please take a look at the many posts in the "Sertraline" forum and you will find lots of people have problems!

• Posted

If that's the case you need to find a chemist that supplies Pfizer sertraline (lustral) if they still make it. They developed it but the patent expired in 2006.
    • Posted

Absolutely correct! Lustral made by Pfizer is reportedly the best but the only way to get it is to ask the doctor to prescribe it by name... that's the hard part because to save money they prefer to prescribe a generic!!
    • Posted

I suppose it was innocent of me to assume that a generic would be the same as the original brand. I know they may use cheaper binding and other ingredients to make the pill with a safe effective delivery system.

I am aware there is a lot of dodgy generics from China and India and Mexico but I believed the NHS had high standards and would have chosen very reputable foreign companies to get the drugs to us safely.

I hope you get the real McCoy as you don't want drugs that may do more harm than good

• Posted

I'm with Walter on this, shouldn't be shy different, so if you experience side effects consult your GP.

N

• Posted

With Sertraline the original brand (Lustral) is more often reported to be better, the problem is getting the doctor to prescribe it in the first place. However, as many people are not aware of this they get given cheaper generic brands that can cause severe problems!

Not sure about other meds but I expect this equally applies.

• Posted

This is a post from another thread: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/generics-can-they-make-you-feel-this-bad--28893

This guy was on Sertraline but a generic, read what happened after he changed to Lustral.

"My husband has had a review with his consultant last week who was genuinely amazed at his progress since taking the Lustral. There appears to be no side effects with it and his mood is much better.

The consultant admitted he wasn't aware that there could be such differences and will certainly use this case as an example to future patients, when considering the side effects.

I have to thank you for posting your experiences because without which my husband may never have continues with his medication and his recovery, surely, would have been greatly delayed because of the side effects.

We can all help each other so much by having this facility, I personally, am truly grateful.

Good luck to anyone taking Sertraline/Lustral.

Thank you for taking the time to read my updates"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.