Sertraline - What brand are you taking right now?

Posted , 16 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi guys,   [smile]

I asked this in the main 'Depression' forum and then only found this Sertraline forum afterwards so I thought I'd ask here.   smile

I've been on sertraline for two years and it's been a life saver for me but I've noticed the different brands have differing efficacy with me so I was wondering what company/brand you're all on and what you think of it?

I believe the most common ones are Accord, Pfizer, Bristol and Dr Reddy's.

Would be very interested to know what brands everyone is taking!

4 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Started with 'Lupin (Europe) Ltd' but the last lot were 'Bristol'. They seem to be ok 😃
  • Posted

Hi, I'm currently on Lupin altho I've been on other brands too...this is my 13th week in total. Does differing brands really make a difference? I would've thought that it was all so heavily regulated, that there couldn't be much discrepancy.
  • Posted

I started with some other brand, I don't remember right now, it benefited me too, but one pharmacist suggested me to take phizer brand which is the best, so I switched to it.50 mg. I can't make out the difference, when I get up in the morning I can't describe how I feel, kind of light headed or tightness, but one thing for sure that fear feeling is not there anymore other wise I suffered from unknown fears, especially whenever I use to get up from my sleep. But somehow now I want to stop the medication. I hate going to docs, there are very few docs who are dedicated in their profession,but many docs for the sake of money they will tell many things, and patient suffers psychologically that is why I joined the group to know the experience
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies guys. smile

I really don't want to alarm anyone about the brand they're using as everyone is different the perfect example of this is right here: Blu02 says Bristol work fine for him whereas for me they really don't. 

My brother is 8 years older than me, has a successful career working for the United Nations and he's also on Sertraline and has been for more than a decade. If they give him anything but the Pfizer brand Sertraline he feels terrible.

i feel best on the Accord or Pfizer brand ones but Bristol and Dr Reddys don't work for me for some reason. smile

• Posted

Hi CassiusOne, perhaps I spoke to soon! I took my 5th tablet last night (Bristol brand) and this morning I'm feeling very jittery again. This question about different company/brands and the effects has come up before... worth taking a look here at what others say:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/generics-can-they-make-you-feel-this-bad--28893

I also posted a discussion - Lustral v Generic (Sertraline) https://patient.info/forums/discuss/lustral-v-generic-sertraline--335591 - which got some interesting comments!

I'm really not sure but it would appear taking a different brand can have some undesired effects, anyone else found this?

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great this morning Blu02!   sad

I've definitely experienced issues with two brands: Bristol & Dr Reddy's. But the generic brand Accord seems to be fine for me although Pfizer always consistently works the best.

• Posted

Oh I also spoke to my brother who lives abroad and has been on Sertraline (Zoloft from Pfizer) for the last decade. For the first time his pharmasist gave him a generic brand six months ago and they made him feel terrible as well so he was re-prescribed Pfizer imediately and felt much better within a couple of days.
    • Posted

Thanks for highlighting this issue Cassius - most of us would reasonably assume that all brands of a specific drug are created equal. My psychaitrist told me to seek out only one brand of my previous medication (Venlafaxine) - I couldn't tolerate the side effects in the end anyway.

Just started on 50mg of the Bristol brand of Sert. I won't get too hung up but will keep an eye on the benefits, etc (I know I could be waiting up to 8 weeks to feel the full benefit) It's a waiting game. Ironic for those of us fighting with anxiety ;-)

Good luck to us all!

Digsby

x

• Posted

Hi Cassius, not convinced the 'Bristol' brand is working for me. Had a couple of the 'Lupin' brand left over so have taken those and feel better!

Had a word in the local chemist and they stock 3 brands of which 'Accord' is one. Going to the doctors tomorrow to get another prescription and will try to get the 'Lupin' brand from the original chemist but if not I'm thinking about going for the 'Accord' brand and hope they work.... what do you think?

• Posted

Or could change to the 'Pfizer' brand as they seem to be ok with you, your brother and Ottawa....

• Posted

Hi im on medreich brand, could anyone tell me anything about this brand, bit worried after reading this input on sertraline , thanks in advance
    • Posted

Hi julie, it's hard to say anything about a particular brand because we all react differently to meds. If you've been on this brand and are doing well I suggest you try to stick with the same brand and don't change.
    • Posted

Hi ive just noticed im on lupin, the mmedreich is an old pk, ill keep this in mind and check from now on. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi, the only reason I joined this group to start with was because I wanted to find out about different types of Sertaline and how they differ, I have been on the same Sertaline for 10months (Pfizer), last week I was given Dr Reddy's, after a couple of days I started to feel more anxious, sensitive and not sleeping well, I was seeing my GP about another issue and mentioned it, he prescribed Lustral made by Pfizer so will start this again tomorrow, it is all susposed to be the same stuff but I have heard other people say that the make of tablet does make a difference, I am happy to be back with Lustral.  I have found the medication fabulous and a real life changer.
    • Posted

From posts I've read Lustral (Zoloft) made by Pfizer always seems to come out on top!

One post I read had listed the different ingredients for different brands and although the main ingredient is sertraline hydrochloride the other ingredients where very different!!

• Posted

Thank you for replying, always encouraging, it is interesting that they put different things in the different tables, we must be so sensitive to the tiniest thing. And cost must play a part in what you are given at the pharmacy.
    • Posted

Cost is the main factor and there's a big diffence in cost between Lustral and any one of the generic brands.
    • Posted

Interesting, I should have guessed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.