Shaking and crying!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone

i have read so very many posts on re starting and sticking out on Citralopam and battling through the side effects and it has helped me to stay determined to try to just tough it out!

I started taking Citralopam 13 days ago .....10 mg for 5 days then went up to 20 mg.

Before this I had been on Dosulepin for around a month and a half....but as the GP thought this wasn't helping he changed me onto Cit.

I have only had a couple of times in my adult life where I have had episodes of depression/anxiety but they were easier to account for as to the cause/ reason.....this time everything seems to have come out of the blue and it's completely floored me!!

I have a loving husband of 35 years and two fabulous sons...and a family all of who are supportive and loving....I am one very lucky lady!

That's why it makes it so hard to understand where all these 'yukky' feelings have come from??!!

i am also trying CBT ...another first for me!

My question to you all is.....every morning I wake up around 5am feeling sick VERY shaky and VERY weepy....to the point of sobbing for quite a while!

After the sobbing subsides the shaking continues to a lesser degree all day...it's such a horrid disturbing feeling!

Has anyone else experienced the same? .....and better still can some one reassure me that after the 'magic' amount of weeks when the tabs start to kick in it will stop??

I am finding it so hard to cope with!

Thank you for listening to my rant.....any words of advice would be gratefully received.....like everyone else on here I just want 'me' back again and at the mo can't imagine getting there!

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth

its just made me sad to feel like I've gone backward after feeling so good for all those weeks 😳

just got keep going ......it's so damn wearying 😕

hope your good 

hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Pamela

hope you are managing to get through your day.

just a couple of quick things - when we are anxious we burn up a lot of sugar and we feel sweaty. Monitor your diet and be sure to top up your blood glucose by eating regularly. Keep a carton of apple juice and a banana by your bedside & when you wake during the night, have a little snack & a sip of juice. Be sure to drink lots of water during the day too. Eat nuts and drink a glass of milk every day if you can.

When you have a bad night (& I know exactly what you mean), congratulate yourself for getting through it. Recognise all your successes - you are fighting hard to beat anxiety & you are taking the right steps to win. Believe in yourself - you are strong and you can learn to manage your anxiety. Say positive words to yourself when the going gets tough -'I can get through this', 'this is frightening but I know I can handle it', 'I'm stronger than I think I am'. When you get through the bad days - reward yourself - perhaps a massage? Or a lovely long bath.

when you wake up at night & feel awful, distract yourself with a wordsearch or suduko or read for 5 mins. If you distract yourself, your anxiety will lessen.

take it easy today

sleepy crowbiggrin

• Posted

Thanks sleepyC

just been out for a walk in the sunshine when hubby came home from work......bit of a trial today I have to say whereas usely it's something I love doing......oh why does this make a pleasure into challenge?!

wise words from you ......any tips to get through this rubbish is welcome!

hoping for a better night tonight .....sleep makes everything feel better don't you think?

take care be strong and keep well 

Pamela x

• Posted

Hi pamela, sorry i havent talked to you in a few days.  Just wondering how u a doing.  I have been down for almost two weeks since my last setback. Keep hoping that those good feelings come back again. Does your dr. have an explanation as to why this is happening. My doesnt. Iwill be 4 weeks on 20's and almost 4 weeks on 40mgs.
    • Posted

Hi Peggy

been to Docs this morn and had a thyroid blood test .....will get results next week...but Dic says he doesn't expect it to be that?!

He thinks it is just pure anxiety but doesn't have any answers how to stop it apart from keeping on with the Cit and having therapy 

I will be seeing my other Doc next week who is older and I feel more able to talk to and have more confidence in so will see if he can shed any light on this set back?! 

Im hoping still that it's just a case of the Cit hasn't quite settled into my system and there's still time?🙏

Calm and relaxed seems a life time ago at the mo 😕

Big hug x

• Posted

Hi Pam,  I had my thyroid checked not to long ago.  I'm already on Synthroid for the last 15 years for that but you still have to have it checked every year. Are you still feeling bad..  I havent felt good for 2 weeks now and have no explanation as to whats going on.  I will see my PA next week which seems like an eternity. Let me know how things are going and keep taking the Cit. til we see whats going on.
    • Posted

Hi Peggy

after a blah 😒 day yesterday .....nurse in morning for blood test followed by Doc after who basically told me nothing ....sympathetic though he was ....followed by dentist in afternoon for two fillings ......I decided to take a tranquilliser last night along with my Cit and managed to sleep really well....so.....today after a late get up I took myself of for my walk and am now feeling pretty good 👍.....long may it last 

Hope you start to feel better soon Peggy .....this roller coaster is certainly testing us isn't it ?! 😕

I'll be thinking of you xx

• Posted

Pamela I'm new to this forum & to this drug. Been on 20mg 5 days feel a little better today but it's been rough. Hate to hear you had a relapse after feeling better. It's very comforting to have someone to talk to. I can't drive at the moment or even go in a store with husband without getting the shakes & feel like I might pass out. Hopefully it gets better for all of us. Husband outta town til Sunday which means I'm alone trying to fight the panic feeling.
    • Posted

Hiya Carol

don't feel that you are on your own this weekend. Lots of members log-on to this website everyday. I am sure that I am one of several members who can help you get through this early phase. You will feel better. Believe in yourself - you are stronger than you think. When you feel panicky - try abdominal breathing as this will help to calm you. 

i'm a non-driver at the moment too - I get so worked up beforehand that the fear overwhelms me. However, I feel that I am getting stronger day by day and I will start to regain control again. With the car - I plan to use 'graded exposure'. One day, I sat in the car for 5mins. Another day, I'll reverse the car out of the driveway & back again. Another day I'll drive 5mins to my local co-op etc....I'm setting myself small achievable goals that I know I have the courage to do this.

take it easy - one day at a time. 

Hugs - sleepy crow x

• Posted

Thank you very much your very comforting. One thing my doc didn't say a thing about side effects nothing. Just said you'll feel fine in a week! Ha after reading some of these posts doc knows nothing!
    • Posted

Until I found this forum thought I must be the only one in the world feeling like this.
    • Posted

Hi Carol and sleepy crow

more brilliant support and advice sleepy! 😊

My problem is really more just the physical symptoms of the anxiety that alarm me ....the shaky feeling and jittery tummy

I haven't trouble going out or driving or being around people ....in fact I'm better then....I find it hard to relax at home and am unsettled and restless...would love to just be content to sit with a brew and a book or a telly programme but am too jittery at mo to enjoy or settle....it's very frustrating and not a nice feeling!

I suppose it just affects people in different ways but it's awful however it strikes and hard to cope with!

Since Monday I have been much better ......just still as I say struggling to relax and still a bit of an ongoing jittery feeling but no tears and much more rational....so....hopefully back on the right path?! 

It's VERY early days for you and hopefully within the next couple of weeks things will start to settle and improve for you 

People like Sleepy Crow on here are an amazing support and wiil always give good sound advice

Just come on here anytime and spill how you're feeling and someone will be hear to listen and try to offer you reassurance

Keep going......we will ALL GET THERE!! 

Big hugs xxx

• Posted

Hey Carol

i guess your doc didn't want to worry you - most drugs have side effects - the key thing is to register whether the benefits of you taking the drug outways the negative risk - personally, I am grateful that the drug is there for patients  as it has given me some breathing space.

i imagine that some of us may experience more side effects than others - I guess it depends on your normal everyday serotonin levels.

the way to look at this situation positively is to believe that you are taking the necessary steps forward to get back to feeling like your normal self.

hang on in there - you are on the journey to recovery & being a happier person

take it easy

sleepy c xxx

• Posted

hi Carol 

I am on my own this weekend too in fact my husband doesn't get back until Thurs  so let's get through this together I will be thinking of you and hoping you can stay strong you are not on your own and can share your feelings here anytime and someone will help you 

hugs VivxxVivxx

• Posted

Hi Carol

Just thinking of you hope you are managing to get through the weekend Ok I had a good night last night and keeping busy helping my son with his lesson plans for his Prac teaching .Helping my daughter with her study timetable and then I will tackle cleaning the bathroom It's raining here in Oz very heavily but we need it Hope you are well just keep busy and spoil yourself a bit 

Takr care V

• Posted

Hi vivienne thanks for checking on me. So far so good. I washed some windows, tried to read a little. Had a couple almost panic attacks but took deep breaths & got thru it.  Hope your weekend is going ok too!
    • Posted

Hi Carol 

glad you are getting through the weekend I have finished my chores and having a break Glad to hear you managed to control the panic It's not always easy is it. But full marks for trying Once we stop being afraid the panic subsides.

the sun is out now and my two cats curled up next to me

Talk again soon I was born in England but have lived in Australia (OZ)for many years

Will let you know what my doctors say on Wednesday

So far this weekends been good no panic we can only live in hope 

V

• Posted

Interesting I'm having a pretty good weekend also! Yay! I live in Washington state but my mom was from Brisbane . 

Lets keep u feeling good!

• Posted

Hi Carol

Just about to start my day, Lovely to hear your cheery words. Woke up feeling pretty good so positive start.Hope your week is a good one

Take care

V

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.