Side effects please help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have been on venlafaxine a total of 8 weeks. 2 weeks 75mgs, 2 weeks 150mgs and 4 weeks 225mgs. I am still feeling tired and have constant headaches/ head tension. It’s helped with my anxiety and depression a little but the tierdness and headaches are making me feel low. I spend a lot of time laying down and doing nothing as I feel unwell with these symptoms. Paracetamol doesn’t seem to help and I keep drinking water but it makes no difference. I do feel that if the tiredness and headaches went I would actually feel better. I guess my question is should I give it longer? I’m seeing pysch soon and unsure if I should change or give the venlafaxine more time for these symptoms/side effects to go. Has anyone else experienced this or needed longer than 4 weeks on a dose increase to feel relief? 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Took 6 weeks at 150 for side effects to improve
    • Posted

Hi was your headaches bad? Mine are really horrible and I have to spend a lot of time in bed as I can’t function with them. Did you have it daily? As Mine seems to be all the time. Did it go gradually or suddenly at 6 weeks? Sorry for all the questions x
    • Posted

It is ok.

I had jeadaches before i went on ven. They stayed about the same but at the six week point they got unbearable for 3 days then just went. I still get them a bit but it is ok.

• Posted

Hi suffered awful headaches for just over a week and still have the odd one now 3 weeks in to 225mg. I also felt really tired too but it's improving everyday. Hang in there it'll be worth it x

• Posted

Have you just started venlafaxine or been on it a while and increased? I’m concerned as my headaches and tierdness leave me in bed most of the time and I’m 4 weeks on 225mgs! I can’t understand why they haven’t gone yet or maybe it means they don’t suit me. I’m so stressed with feeling rubbish! I do think if the side effects went I’d feel a little better but they just won’t leave. Then obv staying in bed a lot just makes me feel more low! 
    • Posted

I've recently increased to 225, been on ven for nearly a year in total. Before that I'd been on citalopram and sertraline over a period of 14 years. I'm nearly at 4 weeks on 225 now and am mostly headache free but the headaches I had for the first 2 weeks were debilitating and I often spent a huge part of the day in bed or laid on the sofa! Are you taking any pain relief? The reason I ask is because I took paracetamol for 3 weeks when I changed from citalopram to sertraline for the headaches I was having and I ended up with rebound headaches from the paracetamol. Once I stopped taking pain relief the headaches stopped after about 3 days x

• Posted

I take paracetamol but not all the time only when I can’t stand it anymore. But they are debilitating I have to spend time in bed most days due the them and feeling depressed. Has the increase kicked in yet for your anxiety and depression? Or do you think it needs longer? I’m 5 weeks today on increase and still depressed! Not sure how long to give it. I’ve been on it in total 9 weeks 
    • Posted

You've gone up from nothing to 225 very fast! My doctor wouldn't increase until I'd been on each dose for 8 weeks apart from the 37.5 to 75 which he did after 4 weeks. I'm confused as to why your doc has let you go up so quickly as you haven't had the chance to see if a lower dose would have been ok for you... I'm not surprised you're suffering with headaches with the speed you've gone to a full 225 x

• Posted

My pysch increased it fast as I’ve been very deeply depressed plus was on it years ago but on maximum dose. So they knew they had to give me a certain amount but I agree with you that it could be why I’m suffering so much and will need longer to stabilise. I’m going to give it a few more weeks. Just don’t like waiting to see if something will help me or not when I still feel rubbish each day! 
    • Posted

Are you having any good days? I would be tempted to speak to someone just to put your mind at rest and maybe you could get a stronger pain killer to give you a break from the headaches. I always suffer with headaches on a change of meds or an increase sad
    • Posted

I don’t have good days as such as I either feel tired or have a headache. I did speak to pysch in the week who said to give it another week or two to see if head ache goes. I just wanted to know if others had it. But as I increased quickly maybe that is why mines hanging around longer than yours did. I will give it another 2 weeks max but can’t live like this if it’s going to continue! 
    • Posted

I agree, it was bad enough having the headaches for nearly 2 weeks! Nothing I tried would take the pain away. The only thing that eased it was sleeping sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.