Sinus Problems Making Me Crazy!

Posted , 25 users are following.

For a year, after a bad cold, I have suffered terribly. My face hurts, back of head pain when lying down, nose burning, nausea, tummy troubles, crippling fatigue, foggy head, ear pain, teeth hurt. I went on antiboiotics a few months ago, and the made a difference for a while, but now it is all back with a vengence. I called in sick to work today. I am soooo exhausted and feel terrible. All of my muscles ache too. Have an appetite on and off. Just feel like I've been run over by a big ole' truck and have all the symptoms of sinus problems. Can a sinus problem be this hard to cure AND make you feel THIS BAD? It's gotten to the point where I don't want to do anything and I am now experiencing anxiety and depression because of the fact I've felt so bad for so long.  I am working on irrigation and probiotics today.

Thanks for letting me vent. Anyone else feel this bad with sinus troubles? It's runing my life.

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you guys are having such a hard time with your sinuses.

I'm in exactly the same boat and I can't put into words how I'm literally at my wits end and I don't see an end to this!

I have never had any sinus issues in my life ( except for ordinary runny nose), on 30th of March I got ill with a headcold/flu virus that manifested itself into the most horrific sinusitis imaginable.

My nostrils became so sore I developed cracks and no ointments could heal them, it felt like acid constantly dribbling from my nose.

I am a healthy 35 year old female and I exercise at least 5 days a week and do yoga. I work in entertainment industry, so I just can't afford to look umhealthy, let alone with red eyes and crusty running nose.

The first two weeks I took off and tried to fight it off naturally by upping my vitamin intake and boosting my immune system.

After that I had to beg my GP to give me abtibiotics which I took for 5 days Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day. Practically zero improvement.

I then started to do my own research and found out about saline irrigations, this is the only thing tnat eventually worked for me and I managed to heal my crusty nose, but I haven't managed to get rid of sinusitis though.

I'm flushing my sinus twice a day still, but I still feel and look ill, my ears feel blocked most the time and it makes me dizzy. I can't exercise because I fear now being upside down, a simple burpee or push up makes my head spin. Besides I'm so weak and fatigued I literally crawl around like a poisoned cockroach and dream of my bed from the moment I wake up.

I'm so miserable because I'm so used to being super active and strong but now I'm reduced to pathetic drip.

I missed out on so much work in these two months and my existing clients are getting fed up of me i reckon

Sorry for such a long whiny post. It's just I feel especially sad it being bank holiday weekend and great weather and all.....and me still sick .

Thank you for reading. X

• Posted

At my wits end- in same boat! Never had a sinus problem until recently. See last year being pregnant And immune system low- I had been on some antibiotics throughout the year because of infections- then after he was born daughter went to school and of course she gets sick I get sick- had my first sinus infection! Fine- take medicine and am ok- then Dec. I get a nasty virus/huge sinus infection and it just keeps coming back and I want to scream! My teeth hurt/feeling like crap- face pain- a tint of yellow snot every now and then up my nose. Had endoscope a few days ago by ent he says no pus in cavities. So anyway- I don't know how to proceed- I don't know what to do. I tried a lot of things and just can't believe sinus infections are this must of a pain in the rear to get rid of- I had a CT scan a month ago and showed some gunk in my left maxillary area. Ent dr wasn't concerned about it. So knowing that I guess I have to be on antibiotics for 6 weeks to get to that hard area- and ent dr said no guarantee it would work. Or I can get surgery. Crazy crazy crazy- who wants surgery but at this point maybe it's best to do that instead of more antibiotics that might now work? If I get surgery then they can do the balloon sinuplasty while cleaning me out and maybe then it will help me in the future with infections not getting them as long and bad. That's the point of balloon sinuplasty or getting your sinuses widened- to lessen the length of illness. I dont know what to do.

• Posted

I hear you ! Have you seen an ent doc ?

I have never had this hang on so long with so many symptoms ! My brain is in a haze and my teeth even ache plus ears ring ! Nice !

I think we need more patience which isn't my long suit!

I hope you feel better soon ??

• Posted

Same here. I am trying something new starting today. 1TB of organic coconut oil (I just put it in my mouth and let it melt, not great, but not too bad) and adding just a drop of baby shampoo to my saline rinse that I do twice a day. I read about these cures on earthclinc and these two had the most votes for curing sinus infections that are miserable and long lasting. I also take vitamin c and zinc. 
    • Posted

See my other reply about the research I've done to find help for our awful problem. I'm going to try it and I will keep all posted.

• Posted

Surgery doesn't always work ! Last resort . How many rounds of antibiotics have you tried?

I tried 2 with little result except yeast infection!

• Posted

I think it's best to avoid surgery at all costs, as even doctors admit it may not work, or work for a couple of years only.

I have exactly the same issue- some gunk in my left maxillary that the doc doesn't think is a big deal.

His advice to me was to just to suck it up (literally) and keep flushing it out, then it should eventually go away, or have a surgery...

I think I'm something like 80% better now, as in I look kind of normal and I've managed to do 2 classes in the gym today- which is a real milestone for me.

I still have yellow snot though damnit! But instead of coming out continiously I have to blow my nose every hour or so...

(Sorry for all the details).

But overall there is definitely an improvement for me.

• Posted

Awwhh you poor love! Luckily my teeth didn't ache, although I know it's a common symptom.

Yep, went to private ENT, couldn't wait for NHS refferal, did a scan and he wasn't all that phased with his findings.

Left maxillary sinus showed some stuff, but nothing to get excited about and apparently I can just flush it all out and use otc decongestants.

So I'm trying my best to be patient and wait it out...

Hope you are feeling better babe! X

• Posted

Thank you very much! This info is really helpful!
  • Posted

I get the impression that sinus related problems are not taken that seriously in the medical field. From what I've read the majority of doctors don't even know about the fatigue that comes with it. They think it's because we don't sleep well enough. It's notalways that, because I can have a good nights sleep and still feel tired and fatigued the next day. Lots of things help the symptoms but I've not come across any one thing that really works for longer than a few hours.

• Posted

Fatigue that goes with it is the most debiliating symptom for me! I can put up with headaches and everything else, but fatigue....

I don't think it's sleep related, I have not had any sleepless nights over my sinuses for a good few weeks, if anything, I struggle to stay awake past 9pm.

But even though I am overall much better now, my energy levels are so low, I struggle to get basics done and really have to foce myself.

• Posted

Same. Currently sat in work with the worst congestion I have had for a while. My left eye is swollen through pressure and I am on my 2nd cup of coffee by half 9. It's not great. But if I phone in sick, I will get sacked. 

The fatigue is horrible. I tried taking Sertraline to see if the fatigue was mood related as I have been pretty low lately and that just introuduced a whole new world of side effects to deal with on top of the sinus issues.

Literally no winning rolleyes

• Posted

Ouch! Sorry to hear this... 😣

On a brighter side, Sterimar Nasal Irrigation mist (the stuff that saved my life) is currently on promotion in Boots and has 25% off!! I bought 3 today and well pleased with myself!

• Posted

If you have a sinus center in your area I recommend going to the expert there. They really understand and help.
  • Posted

Steaming Inhalation by humidifier with peppermint or eucalyptus oil. It's a relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.