sliding hiatus hernia repair

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm having surgery on 27th April 2017 for a sliding hiatus hernia repair.. any advice ..?

How long will I be in hospital..?

I have Barrettes oesophagus as well..

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Iv had surgery on the 27th April 2017. full wrap on 27th was very ill couldn't even swallow water.. things got worse and rushed back to theatre on Sunday night..

I only have a 180 wrap can swallow, liquid food till 14th May then soft diet for 2 weeks the normal food fingers crossed..

brushed a lot.. have 6 small cuts about an inch long each one.

Was in hospital for 9 long days, I'm very weak on fortsips 3 times a day.

wasn't painful at all .. till Thursday when I couldn't breath had ct scan then I found out my left lung had clasped in half ..

will keep you updated ..🤢

• Posted

I'm so sorry to here that was the clasped lung from them doing your surgery...I'm finally starting to be able to eat lost 18 to 20 lbs I dr wanted me to drink the protein drinks you must try them you'll need them I lost a lot of muscle I'm still a little weak but I'm feeling a little better then I was PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH IM NOT SURE IF I EVER HEARD OF THAT HAPPENING 

• Posted

2 weeks yesterday..

struggling to take medication they want me to stick to liquid diet for another week..🤢 I'm very weak.. still on 2 x fortisip a day, I did try a bit of mash and gravy liquidised very runny but just got stuck and wouldn't go down 😢..

Tammyshernia

How are you doing ..?

How many weeks since your op..?

Did you have a lot of acid after..?

I have so much acid still on 5 lanzoprazol dissolvable a day 🤔

Keep you updated 😬🙂

• Posted

Took me about 7 wks to feel better but my dr had me eating the next day no bread or meat till 4 wks I'm feeling much much better had my surgery on march 25 I'm eating everything now no acid reflux at all I'm going for 1 more test tomorrow to see my stomach again I couldn't be more pleased with my out come I was also very weak didn't want to do a thing I started vitamin e and fish oil that's when I started to feel better and I was on nauseous meds for 7 weeks I felt sick every day I would try vitamin e that seems to be the trick

• Posted

keep me posted I no what your going through ,you shouldn't have any acid or reflux that's why they did my wrap I have 2 pieces of mesh in me to help I feel so much better then before who did you surgery 

• Posted

Hi Tammyshernia..

I'm 5 weeks post op had diarrhoea for 5 days now it's water.. sorry to much info.. lol

Still feeling sick but haven't been sick since last week then this started.. I'm very weak went to my local doctor today he said just keep drinking go back Friday if no change.. but soon as I drink it's like a tap can't go to far from loo .. I'm very down just about regret the op.. have scan next Monday ..😢.. did you have anything like this..?

Xx

• Posted

I had a little diarrhea but it passed but I had a lot of nausea I started taking vitamin e a fish oil and with in a wk I was so much better hope this helps I also had some meds from before when I would get diarrhea I'll look it up and give you the name that really helped when I would get that its upstairs I'll get you the name and send it

• Posted

Just an update Tammyshernia

Still having problems, 7 weeks now been diagnosed with dumping syndrome from the surgery 😓They told me could last for years but on very strong medication.. might need operation next week 😭 3rd time lucky 🍀 fingers crossed they sort it iv had 7 weeks of work.. just need closure now..

How are you doing now..?

• Posted

I'm a 100% better lost sone weight no more pain I can eat I just went to my last visit on mon he told me he had to reconstruct my whole diaphragm and sew it up a different way due to the size I gave all my energy back but just found out I have 5 spot of cancer that need to be surgically taken off if it no 1 thing it's another .i have read other that had the dumping but I believe it was the surgeon that did something I wish you lived in the states so you could go to my dr he isTHE BEST please keep me informed how your doing 

• Posted

Naomi how are you feeling I have been thinking about hope you are doing well
    • Posted

Hi Tammyshernia

I'm not well at all.. in hospital for dehydrated from Dummping syndrome..

can't eat very weak lost 3 stone..

thank you for asking

How are you xx

• Posted

I'm so sorry to her that I have been thinking about you you need to come to the states and see MY DR may be he can help you I will be sending you the name of the med I was taking to stop the diarrhea it really works I am so so much better please think about coming to Charlotte Nc his name is dr Heniford I swear he saved my life

• Posted

Hi Naomi

I've been reading the threads due to my own problems. I hope you're ok. Sorry to hear of the operation/s. How are you doing?

• Posted

49 pounds

Now still losing weight go back to hospital on 7 August xx

How are you xx

• Posted

Seen surgeon yesterday ?? I need more surgery they damaged the Nerves that controls everything I'm on 40 tablets a day fist op is next week then I need more in 3 weeks time ..

if I could turn back time I would... I can't eat weight is falling off me I'm still on vile drinks...

When I'm home tonight I will put a full update on here for you all ...

thank you for asking,

I'm feeling all alone and talking is helping xx

• Posted

I have been thinking you you often I do sorry your hurting things will get better you aren't using the same doctor are you I wish you lived here I would sure like to meet you ...how much weight have you lost as soon as I started taking vitamin e and fish oil I startyto get better I was sick for about 6 weeks then all of a sudden I felt better maybe you should try it

• Posted

They wrapped my stomach so it would stay in place so they did a double wrap my surgeon travels the world to teach other doctors to do the surgery with percussion he is the best so now with it being wrapped twice it will hold it together better my hernia was 7 inches wide that's why it slipped into my chest I am 100 percent better now

• Posted

My consultant has advised me to go to a different hospital in Worcester.. so fingers crossed I have it all sorted in a few months..🤞X

• Posted

Oh ok. I had no idea what wrapped meant in relation to a hernia. Thanks so much and wonderful to hear you are feeling so much better.
    • Posted

Do you mean when they wrap your stomach around bottom of stomach so it don't slide anymore..? This is what I had.. and a lot of my stomach was in the chest cavity so hard to breath..

my Barretts has been playing up more since surgery.. but that's the last of my problem..

sorry rant over feeling sorry for myself xx

• Posted

Hi Naomi, I think you meant to ask the wrapping question to Tammyshernia . I had never heard of wrapping a stomach before.

Myself I just found out I have 2 inguinial hernias which Im waiting on a referral to a surgeon for mesh repair. For me it's just one thing after another and I rant about it all the time so very understandable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.