something feels stuck on tongue, loads of small papillae middle back tongue, yellow coating

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hello,

Please have a look at the picture and tell me if you see something weird going on. 

It's now been 3 months of tongue/throat hell. 

3 months ago, I started feeling that something was stuck on the back of my tongue. I went to the hospital one week later, they found nothing. 

Now for the last 3 months,I keep needing to swallow as I feel stuck is stuck on my tongue. 

Along with the feeling of stuff stuck on tongue, I have some dryness back of throat, the need to keep swallowing food as it doesn't go down easily, lost 4 kilos in 1 month (eating properly), extreme tiredness & neck pain (maybe due to the constant swallowing) 

I would never try and get a diagnosis from the internet, but I have been seen by many doctors and still waiting for more tests.. maybe someone out there have seen this type of issue before and can help out. 

Anyone who has a clue, please let me know. 

Thanks,

Tess

0 likes, 102 replies

102 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Therese,

No there isn’t anything stuck but that is the feeling you have when you are experiencing this disease. You need to have your Doc do these test they are the ONLY test to let you know if you have Achalasia. Don’t let them tell you differently.

I have several friends in the UK that have Achalasia that would be happy to help as well. You can look up these test and see what they are. Good luck and keep me posted too!

Jamie

A) EDG

B) Baruim swallow 

C) Manometry 

• Edited

Hi Tess,

I wonder if you can help as I'm currently experiencing all of the symptoms you describe in your message and have been to the local GP, who doesn't seem to know what it is...

I've tried oral thrush medication, which did nothing.

Are you still suffering from it? If you've managed to find a cure I would be so grateful to know what it is!

Best wishes,

Amelia

• Posted

It can take a long time to clear. It can recur very easily with the right conditions.

There are different kinds of medication that can help.

At one stage when I had it I had something that was applied with a brush inside my mouth.

I think I would ask a pharmacist for suggestions that you could put to your GP.

• Edited

hello,

did you find any solutions for this problem?

would help a lot.

thank you xo

• Edited

hello, did you ever find out what was causing that sensation? i have something similar

thank you

• Posted

I am not qualified at all, but have they thought about oral thrush / candidiasis?

• Edited

Did you ever find out what was causing your issue? Mine is very similiar to you. I've been dealing with it for about three months now

• Edited

I saw that you most recently posted on this with similar symptoms. in having the same thing as therese described and was wondering if your symptoms have resolved or what the outcome has been??

• Edited

Yes I have a solution! This will be a long post but I hope that it will help someone. For about a month, I had the feeling that something was stuck in my throat, and on the back and side of my tongue constantly. I had an e-visit with an ENT and they said that it could be allergies or digestive. I started taking Zyrtec, Flonase and Tums, which did not help. Additionally I was gargling with salt water 3x/day. I was also given Nystatin, an antifungal, in case the yellow coating on the back of my tongue was oral thrush/candidiasis. This did not help so it was not thrush (you just have to brush your tongue better!). So after another 3 weeks of no relief, I schedule an in person visit to the ENT, and they performed a nasal endoscopy to look down my throat. My throat looked fine and there was nothing stuck (I was convinced there was a toothbrush bristle or a fish bone stuck), so the ENT sent me to get a neck CT scan to rule out any tumors or growths that could be causing my symptoms. The CT scan came back all clear, so they said it was probably digestive or neurological, and to try treating it as such and if I had no relief after 2 months then to come back. Funny enough, the day after I got great results from the CT scan, my symptoms were greatly reduced, which just showed half of the problem was worrying and anxiety. However, I continued gargling 3x/day with salt water. I also changed my diet, eliminated sugar, reduced my caffeine intake, started drinking more water (64 oz/day), and took Nuun electrolytes when I felt dehydrated and my mouth and throat were dry. My ENT also told me about something called Alginates (sodium alginate) which is commonly used in treating digestive disorders. There are tons of papers about sodium alginate, where it acts as a raft in your stomach to prevent acid from coming back up your esophagus and irritating your throat. Gaviscon makes their antacids with sodium alginate but it is not the main ingredient so it does not work well. However, my ENT told me that Gaviscon Advance from the UK, which is just straight up sodium alginate, so its this super thick liquid, and its the main ingredient. You can get it on Amazon but it's expensive because it has to be imported, but I'm sure you can find it on other sites as well. After changing my diet and taking Gaviscon Advance, within a few days, the feeling was gone! I do not take Gaviscon daily, but occasionally I will start feeling like something is stuck in my throat again, and I just take Gaviscon and drink a lot of water and the feeling goes away within a few hours. I hope this helps!

• Edited

This version of Gaviscon Advance from the UK works! image

• Edited

No. Only the Gaviscon Advance from the UK works and has the main ingredient as sodium alginate.

• Edited

Yea of course. This is the one I got, it takes like Licorice which is not my favorite. I think they also have a peppermint flavor. Honestly, it was worth the price to make the problem go away. Good luck!! image

• Posted

It's still somewhat there. I asked my ENT about the possibility of it being oral thrush based on what someone wrote on this post, and they prescribed me Nystatin, which is used to treat oral thrush and also weird phenomena like burning mouth syndrome, but it did not work. Typically (but not always), the yellow coating is due to your tongue not exfoliating properly. Sometimes all it needs is a good brushing with a toothbrush or even a tongue brush.

• Edited

yeah my gp gave me nistatin and it did not work now im on stronger fungal medication. they also did a swab to see if it actually is thrush. waiting for the results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.