something feels stuck on tongue, loads of small papillae middle back tongue, yellow coating

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hello,

Please have a look at the picture and tell me if you see something weird going on. 

It's now been 3 months of tongue/throat hell. 

3 months ago, I started feeling that something was stuck on the back of my tongue. I went to the hospital one week later, they found nothing. 

Now for the last 3 months,I keep needing to swallow as I feel stuck is stuck on my tongue. 

Along with the feeling of stuff stuck on tongue, I have some dryness back of throat, the need to keep swallowing food as it doesn't go down easily, lost 4 kilos in 1 month (eating properly), extreme tiredness & neck pain (maybe due to the constant swallowing) 

I would never try and get a diagnosis from the internet, but I have been seen by many doctors and still waiting for more tests.. maybe someone out there have seen this type of issue before and can help out. 

Anyone who has a clue, please let me know. 

Thanks,

Tess

0 likes, 102 replies

102 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi everyone I am also having same feeling since last 2 months, my english is not good but i will try to explain my condition right now and also how it started.

Actually I was smoker and was smoking for nine years, two months back in October 2019 i was having pain in my right jaw so I visited a dentist and he advised to quit smoking because my wisdom tooth was removed in April 2019 and he said due to smoking my healing process is slow. So I quit smoking and in 1 week my jaw pain was gone.

After two weeks i start feeling that i have something stuck at back of my tongue and after waiting 3 days i visited ent doctor and he checked and said its look like this feeling is due to acid reflux and prescribe one medicine for acidity and told me to visit after one month. I took medicine for one month and acid reflux was better but that feeling was still there so I visited Dr again and he did endoscopy this time but in endoscopy there was nothing and Dr again prescribe medicine for one more month and I am still taking that medicine and still having the same feeling.

if anyone having clue or experience with this one please share .

thanks in advance

• Posted

It is good that you have had the endoscopy as that should be a reassurance about most serious conditions. It is very good that you have stopped smoking.

Medication for reflux does not always work for everybody, so it may be that if you have had something like Omeprazole, a different medication might work better.

Smoking does tend to relax the lower oesophageal sphincter, the valve by your diaphragm between your stomach and oesophagus that should stop acid from your stomach rising and causing problems like heartburn.It seems like the medication is working against the reflux but there is still some form of problem at the back of your tongue. It may just take longer to heal.

Sometimes it can be worth taking Gaviscon Advance as well as the other medication to see of this makes a difference.

If you are still having problems, think you need to return to your doctor for further investigations. The pain in your jaw and at the back of your tongue is not normal.

• Edited

i have been having this problem since past 3 months it is horrible doctors cant figure out what it is. Did anyone get any diagnosis yet?

• Edited

I found a solution! I responded under dardan05966 reply to my comment on this post.

• Edited

okay thank you guys i have an appointment with my ENT Doctor. i will try gaviscon advance as you mentioned. Please keep me updated of any solutions you find in the coming months because this is the most frustrating thing that has ever happened to me.

• Edited

I think part of it could be anxiety as it was in my case. After I saw a doctor who said there visually was nothing wrong with my throat/neck area, the symptoms were significantly reduced and almost disappeared the next day. Then once I started treating with salt water gargles, Gaviscon Advance, changing my diet and staying hydrated, the symptoms completely disappeared and I notice sometimes I'll get a flare up that lasts a few hours and goes away again.

• Posted

oh yeah ive been doing salt water gargles so had to change my diet too because stuff like rice actually is so irritating when it gets "stuck". like it affects my ears too like my ear goes red which is weird. i also had an endoscopy they found no problems and soon after that the feeling had gone but it did come back after a day.

• Posted

If you suspect it could be digestive, I would give Gaviscon Advance (sodium alginate) a chance and see if that helps.

• Posted

let me know what your ent doctor says because mine didnt find anything wrong apparently

• Edited

yeah sure ill let you know. did you experience any other symptoms? if u dont mind me asking.

• Edited

no i just have the yellow tongue at the end of the tongue and from time to time during the day I get the feeling something stuck at the back of my throat.. salt water gargle and throat lozenge seem to help but not permanently.

• Edited

hopefully we find a solution let me know if you find that helps.. thank you

• Edited

well,

my ent doctor said that theres congestion in my nose which is why there is post natal drip occuring which couldve been the reason for the tongue discolouration. so hes given me a nasal spray for that to see how it goes.

hope it can helps

• Edited

i already tried nasal spray but IT did not work for me.did it work for you?

• Edited

it hasnt done anything so far but im supposed to use it for 3 months to see a difference. have u tried gaviscon yet? of so has it helped?

• Edited

i ordered on amazon but it takes longer too deliver because it comes from england..I used omeprazole 40 mg for like a week and salt water a few times a day and it is kinda feeling better in general but not gone yet

• Posted

not really but got the Gaviscon Advance today going to try if that helps..and you?image

• Edited

me neither just doing my nasal sprays atm. let me know how it goes with gaviscon for you hope it works out

• Posted

GET GAVISCON ADVANCE trust me its really great it took the whole weird throat pain away even thru i did some changes on my diet too drinking more water and leas spicy food but this one helped too

• Posted

yeah i got it 2 days ago and yes ive made diet changes too for reflux haha hopefully it works out.

• Posted

the back of the throat is fine but now it feels like food gets stuck in my esophagus takes ages to go down so yh but the doctors ive spoken to billions of times about this they say its my anxiety so im tryna work on that for now.

• Posted

yeah it's the same thing with me when im not thinking about it its all good but when i start worrying more and thinking about it i feel like its more there so try not to focus on it so much

• Posted

oh you feel the food goes down foodpipe really slow too? because for me ive been so anxious past 2 days n thats when im feeling it go slow. when im not thinking i am okay. might need to de-stress and stop googling diff diseases

• Edited

yeah google is the worse it gets you stressed i dont look it up anymore its from acid reflux it can take 6-12 months to fully heal but its better now especially when you forget about it its like it never happened

• Posted

yeah i realised that it happens more when ive been googling thing too much might have to remove google from my phone again haha and reduce anxiety and stress

• Posted

im the same atm but ive researched a lot and i realised i had reflux maybe lpr cux i have sinus issues too when i eat acidic or high fat foods etc. im tryna sort my diet out as i do have stomach issues which is whats causing the reflux i think. low acid food has helped but its so bland that i dont feel to eat it its a difficult diet.

how are you doing?

• Posted

its on and off and its for sure from acid reflux its lpr silent reflux now so everytime we eat something with too much acid it shows on throat.. try drinking more water and avoid soda alchool smoking chocolate for a while because it takes a long time to get rid of it totally i'm on month 4 now still sometimes feel like day one

• Posted

oh wow 4 months have u not seen improvments yet? im just on week 2 seems sooo long. and yh ive eliminated allll the bad foods atm.

• Posted

improvment happens like for a week its like not there at all then it gets triggered and its back its irritated so it doesnt take much to get triggered..it takes a long time to fully recover i hope its easier for you

• Edited

yeah thats true it takes at least 6-7 months depends on ur body. God willing yours will be recovered soon. i heard even when u have recovered you should still continue with the diet for a month at least and slowly add nee things.

• Edited

mine is thankfully much better than when it first started but yeah its good to be careful with the diet for a long time now because it easily comes back

• Posted

do you get like a gasp at the back of ur throat when ur swallong sometimes like a small sound?

• Posted

hi, even I have same conditions and doctor says it's allergic pharngitis and story is still same, please image

• Posted

no but sometimes i get like a click inside the throat when i swallow bur havent felt that for a while now

• Posted

also do u get this tingling feelings in ur head and ears? n then the ear goes redish ?

• Posted

also do u get this tingling feelings in ur head and ears? n then the ear goes redish ?

• Posted

it's almost more than 2 months and doctor says it's allergic pharyngitis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.