Spondylolisthesis-Grade 2 + DDD

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a Grade 2 Spondylolisthesis at L4 plus two severely degenerated disks, I have suffered with it for almost 30 years. I have got used to the back pain ,but since 2010 I have been experiencing numbness at first but now a deep gnawing pain in my right leg if I stand for more than 30 minutes , or walk more than half a mile. I have been taking DHC Continus for the past 3 years , it helps a little,but a few months ago the pain started in my left leg sad so I had another MRI done , the scan shows severe compression of the right hand side nerve root at L3 , and compression of the left hand side nerve root at L4.

I am awaiting my Spinal Consultant appointment - 10 weeks away yet !,I just hope they can ease it , whether by Injections or Surgery.

I am 55 , and this has gone on long enough, I will post again when I have news , fingers crossed .

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Gary...Donna here...

Just came across your discussion. I wish you good luck with your surgery on Leap Year Day!

Like you, I had pain for decades. At 66, I had TLIF surgery. I had a spondylolisthesis probably from birth. 35 years ago, I fractured my coccyx . Over the years the pain was always there and sciatic pain eventually was chronic. Worse after I passed 60. I  had L4, 5 and S1 fused after L5 was moved back into position. Rods and 6 screws.

I had a great neurosurgeon and the backstabbing pain and radiating sciatic pain is gone. I'm thrilled. But it has taken the connective tissues - muscles, tendons, etc., quite some time to adapt to my new structure.  At times I felt like my body was saying "what did you do to me??"

As we age, it's normal for healing to take longer and we have to be very careful. I found physiotherapy very helpful, but it sometimes aggravated too. My surgeon believes the best therapy for back recovery is walking and more walking as you can do it. I know some people say you should work hard in PT, but I opted not to do anything that caused me too much pain - sometimes for days. They were gentle with me mostly, but I feel best when I walk.

It's now been 19 months since my surgery. I will be very honest and tell you that I still have trouble sitting for longer times. It's still improving.  I recommend you get flat foam cushions (similar to the ones in wheelchairs).  Use them on hard chairs and when you start to drive again.  I put mine in a totebag and take it into all restaurants, appts, and just sit on the tote bag. Easy! The cushion queen. I realize a man wouldn't be comfortable doing that, but they sure will help you at home. You can be the cushion king!

You'll be taught how to get up, turn and get out of bed and so on. Be sure to have a couple of those grabbers/picker-uppers to use because bending to pick things up won't be something you'll want to do.Try to be very patient and stay strong and positive. Don't let anyone push you to do painful things. Massages help a lot to relax surrounding muscles.

You will be ok as long as you don't overdue it or think you should be fine in just a few months. Guys are usually less patient about it, but be very careful and in the long run, you'll be glad you did. The first year won't be easy, but it will all be worth it!  Each month gets better.  Good luck and I'll watch your posts.

Donna

• Posted

Hi Donna , thank you so much for your post . I am a little anxious about the surgery , as I have never had any surgery before. The leg pain has become untolerable , I can handle the back pain .

Thank you for all of your advice, and your honest comments !! .  I don't expect to be totally pain free , but I just hope and pray that the leg pain subsides. 

Three day until surgery !! I will post updates here !! 

Take good care Donna , and thank you again .

Gary

• Posted

Gary,

It was the sciatic leg pain, along with the stabbing spondylo, that made my final decision too. I never have shooting pain anymore and only rarely does the leg ache a bit.

Good luck with the surgery and we'll all be watching for a post from you. But rest is most important after surgery! Leap Year is my birthday  - and a magic day - so I'll be thinking about you and sending positive, healing energy!

Donna

• Posted

PS...Where do you live? I'm in Sedona, Arizona in the US.

Donna

• Posted

Donna,

Thank you again , and I hope you have a Wonderful birthday on Leap Day !!

I live in a lovely little market town called Whitchurch , in the County of Shropshire , England !! 

Gary

• Posted

Hello Gary,  I will be thinking and praying for you as you have your operation tomorrow. I truly hope that it will be the answer to your condition. It may be a while after surgery before you feel the benefits but hope it's all worth it for you in the end. Best of luck and when you feel well enough to let us all know on the forum how you are we will be pleased to hear from you. 

A big hug 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth , thank you for your kind message . I hope you are in less pain now , and the injections have given you some relief !!

I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow , as I have never had a General Anaesthetic in my life . I will keep everyone here updated !!

smile Gary  smile

• Posted

Well, I had my op , I was in theater for 6 and half hours, I was up and walking without crutches the following day. I was discharged on the 3 rd day .

The procedure was fusion of L3, L4 and L5 , and a TLIF of L3 and L4 = 6 pedicle screws and rods with a titanium spacer between L3 and L4 .

Obviously I am sore from the surgery, but I have NO leg pain smile

Plenty of rest ahead but I am very happy so far !!  smile

• Posted

Hello Gary,  I am so pleased that your operation as gone well. It must feel great to not have any leg pain. I hope your recovery is not too long for you. You sound very positive and i hope it will be all worth it for you. So happy for you.Keep in touch while you recover.

All the best.

Elizabeth.  smile

• Posted

Gary,

i am so pleased to hear that the surgery went well and you're already out of hospital! And no leg pain...yes!! I remember that part! Rest, relax and catch up on your reading. 

Take care and let us know how you progress!

Donna

• Posted

Thank you Elizabeth and Donna for your kind messages smile

The x rays looked well cool , and the nurse changed my dressing yesterday and the scar is nice and dry and healing !!

I am taking just small walks around the house ( without crutches !!  ) it feels so good to not have the gnawing leg pain, I know it's early days but it's looking good.

I hope you are both doing ok .

Gary smile

• Posted

Garry,

I hope you continue to progress, i can almost picture you walking without pain and hope your sleeping well too. Take it slowly get plenty of rest and enjoy being pampered by your wife and family.

I had my steriod injection for my right knee about four weeks ago, wow it was painful!! Unfortunately it asn't made any difference. I am waiting for an appointment to see the consultant again, i had the injection done at the same hospital thou a different consultant did it as my consultant doesn't do the injections. I don't know yet what will happen. I have heard that sometimes they will do a second one and if that doesn't work then they won't do anymore. 

Take care.

Eizabeth.   smile 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth , Yhank you for your kind message ! My wife won't let me do hardly anything !! She is a total star !! My daughters are doing my Grocery shopping !!  I have never been so pampered and am lapping it up wink

I am so sorry to hear that the steroid injection has not given you any relief !!  I have everything crossed for you that your next Consultant appointment happens quickly, and that they can give you the relief you desperately need !!

Take care.

Gary  smile

• Posted

Thanks Gary. I will let you know how i get on at next appointment with the consultant. It could be a few weeks yet

Keep lapping the attention and pampering you deserve it. Like you said to Donna you are enjoying looking at the birds through your kitchen window. Look forward to some gentle walks soon, observe your surroundings, nature and the spring flowers blooming. Your sounding so positive after such a big operation. Your doing well and hope you heal soon. 

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

smile

• Posted

You're doing great… So happy for you! Pretty good here. Each month closer to normal - new normal without leg pain! You are 13 years younger so your recovery will go faster. Spring will be there soon. Fresh and new just like you will be!

Donna

• Posted

Thank You Donna ,  I took your advice about the cushion !! My dining chair has never felt so comfortable !!  I am the cushion King !!!

I am moving around a little more freely now, but mindful not to over do it.

My joy is looking out of my kitchen window watching the birds on my feeder station smile  We are in a cool snap at the moment, but spring is just around the corner !!

I feel very positive about things , and look forward to taking strolls in the park and along the canal here in a few months !!

Take care.

Gary

• Posted

Dear King,

This is wonderful to hear! I'm so glad you're being wise and taking it slow and easy. A good idea is to get another cushion for driving. I also keep a second one in the car in a plain totebag in case I need it in restaurants or anywhere I sit with hard flat chairs or benches. Men don't typically carry tote bags so maybe your wife would carry it for you! 😉 

Good luck Elizabeth with your next appointment. Injections are painful and wear off so quickly. I hope you get answers.  I seem to have turned another corner and have less healing pain than earlier this year. I had a bone density test recently and results were better than 5 years ago, thanks to Vit D-3, more veggies, calcium and walking. I also still take estrogen at a low dose. 

You our both take care!

Donna

• Posted

Hello Donna,  Thanks for your best wishes. It's good to share our experiences here, thou we all have different health problems. I hope your not suffering too much. I can identify with needeing cushions when out  as i often have to take a cuhion with me into restuarants etc.

Anytime you need to tal, i can liste,that goes for Garry too as we can all identify with pain.

Elizabeth. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.