Spondylolisthesis-Grade 2 + DDD

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a Grade 2 Spondylolisthesis at L4 plus two severely degenerated disks, I have suffered with it for almost 30 years. I have got used to the back pain ,but since 2010 I have been experiencing numbness at first but now a deep gnawing pain in my right leg if I stand for more than 30 minutes , or walk more than half a mile. I have been taking DHC Continus for the past 3 years , it helps a little,but a few months ago the pain started in my left leg sad so I had another MRI done , the scan shows severe compression of the right hand side nerve root at L3 , and compression of the left hand side nerve root at L4.

I am awaiting my Spinal Consultant appointment - 10 weeks away yet !,I just hope they can ease it , whether by Injections or Surgery.

I am 55 , and this has gone on long enough, I will post again when I have news , fingers crossed .

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Elizabethh and Donna , here is my latest update. I had my dressing removed 2 days ago, the wound is really neat and healing nicely, Yesterday I had a consultation with My GP , she made me look over both of my shoulders, which I did with no pain, she knows that I have not taken any Opioid painkiller since Day 5 post op, she then informed me that I was ok to drive my car !! So, 1 hour later I drove my wife to the shops  smile  no pain whatsoever !!!

I am still getting plenty of rest but I feel really good , I am due to return to work on 2 nd June  so I will concerntrate on building up my strength slowly ,, so it's all good !!

I hope you are both doing ok.

Kind Regards.

Gary smile

• Posted

Hi Garry, this is wonderful news, what a sucess and your life will gradually improve. Don't overdo things as you still need rest, you had a major operation and it takes a few months to fully recover. I am very happy for you, you have a new lease of life. I wish you contined good health.

I have a appointment on the 6th April to see the consultant again. I have decided not to have another injection. The nerve pain in my other knee that was replaced twice as been absent for a couple of days which is good.

Elizabeth.   smile 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth , Thank you for your very kind message smile  and I really hope that your Consultant can give you what you need . I was offered root nerve injections a few months ago , but when I asked how long they would be effective for I was told that at best 3 months, so I declined and so happy that I did. I have had no leg pain whatsoever since the operation smile wishing you all the very best !!!

Gary   smile

• Posted

Good luck on your next appointment, Elizabeth. It's hard to wait so long to get into see Doctors! Meantime, go easy and do something relaxing and pleasant every day, 

Take care,

Donna

• Posted

Thanks Donna I will try and find something to look forward to everyday. 

You take it easy too.

smile

• Posted

Thanks Gary. Take it easy, i hope you continue to get better each day.

All the best.

smile

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth , how did your Consultant Appointment go ? I really hope they gave you some good news !!  smile

Gary  smile

• Posted

Hi Garry,

unfortunately my appointment was cancelled due to the junior Drs strike.

I am glad your doing so well after your operation. Physiotheraphy should help you get your strenght back, Good luck with going back to work. 

All the best.

Elizabeth  smile

• Posted

Ohh no !! I'm sorry to hear that , I hope they reschedule you a new appointment very soon wink

Gary smile

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear this too, Elizabeth. I hope you get to see someone soon. Stay strong.

Donna

• Posted

Hi Garry, i hope so too. I am trying Tumeric at the moment, i have bought raw and i grate it to use with stir frys, curries or on salads. I have read good reports of Tumeric helping with inflamation. So fingers crossed. I tried the capsules a while ago but they didn't have any effect. It tastes bitter but hidden in food it's fine. I need to have it everyday for a few weeks to feel the difference. I will try anything, if it helps it's worh it.

Really hoping you continue to improve with your spine Garry. Health is everything. Life is no fun with poor health. I am so pleased for you.

Elizabeth.  smile 

• Posted

Hi Donna, Thank you. I was thinking about you and wondering how you are? If you read what i wrote to Garry about the Tumeric ( saves me writing it out again ). I try to be positive and keep occupied, thou i do get down sometimes especially when i am suffering alot. 

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.  smile

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth...How are you? Did you get another appointment? Hope so!

I'm ok - just dealing with the pain that's left. Mornings are the hardest, but I drink a couple glasses of water to hydrate, which I find helps a lot, take a pill or two and get going. It's what we must do. Spring is here and it's been beautiful!

• Posted

Hi Donna, THanks for asking how i am. I did get an appointment and my only option is a knee replacement. I have to see the consultant again in September, this is when i have to decide to go ahead. The pain i am suffering is getting worse so i will go ahead with the operation. This means this will be my third one, i have had my left knee replaced twice. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, it will free me from pain and hopefully my mobility will get better.

How are you, are you coping. I have thought about both yourself and Garry. I wonder how he is getting on. 

Keep in touch.

Elizabeth.  smile

• Posted

Just a quick update,  I am doing great , still taking it easy !! I am only on weak painkillers now - no opioids at all smile  I am doing lots of small walks , but still found I felt a little tight at the base of my back, so , I found my old TENS belt, popped in some new batteries and popped it on for 25 minutes WOW !!!  I feel fantastic now, the tightness has gone smile I'm so glad I never threw the belt out !!

Gary  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.