Started Orlistat today and confused

Posted , 113 users are following.

Hi! I have just started Orlistat today and have been trying to find a sample plan or menu for the last couple of weeks without success. I know that I shouldn't have anything that is more than 5g fat per 100g however when it comes to exactly what to eat I don't have a clue, I normally eat Quorn, Turkey, Chicken, and fish and eat potatoes, rice, pasta and quinoa. Do I eat like normal but watching my portion size.

I am a huge crisp, chocolate, and biscuit person so would also appreciate help on healthier snacks. I had my first gym session this morning first of many, need to lose 5 stone 11lbs to be my goal weight of 10stone 10lbs. I would like to be half way there on actually there in 6 months would love if it was faster but don't want to put pressure on myself.

3 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you both for your response, I joined nutracheck so that I could find out the fat contents and calories, by doing this I found it much easier especially as I can put it on my phone when I'm out, I have three meals plus two snacks because I go to the gym after work. Wishing you both luck and every success on your journeys
    • Posted

thank you , I think I will try that anything that's going to help, 

goodluck to you too 

• Posted

Have you checked out the Patient UK MyHealth thing ??? It let's you set weight targets etc and you can track them on a graph ??? Anyway just thought I'd point the thing out smile
  • Posted

Hi, if anyone has been given a diet sheet and can share it that would be great. I started on Orlistat a couple of days ago. I have been reading up and looking online but no actual diet sheets available. The Alli (the over the counter version that is weaker) website has some info (but not that great) and via that I have just bought the Alli book on Amazon.

However, though I understand how the tablets work, what is confusing is that many people say that the tablets work best ie you lose most weight. when you eat a bit more fat. I think I have been maybe going too much for salads etc, and maybe I havent got the balance right . hence my wanting a diet sheet ideally to get me started.

• Posted

Hi. I just started Orlistat. I am also doing slimming world which I started before going on tablets and managed to lose 1st and a half. I have about 6/61/2 st to lose.
  • Posted

Hi All,

I am starting Orlistat from tomorrow and highly confused on the diet plan. I work very long hours and I travel throughout the day so can not afford to eat high fat content food.

abbyok: Please can you post the diet plan - I would really appreciate it.

Thank you and good luck to everyone...hope we can all achieve our weightloss goals

• Posted

Just started orlistat after 6 weeks a slimming world any pointers would be very helpful x
  • Posted

Hi

I tended to look at portion control and the fat that was allowed per meal which was 15g of fat per meal, and for convenient foods anything less than 5g per 100g of fat, I must admit doing this helped me realise what I was eating previous was not good.

A meal idea for me was

Breakfast

2 weetabix, 200ml lactofree semi skimmed milk with banana.

Morning snack

an orange or apple

125g of cooked rice, with 75g prawn with half and avocado and 40g lettuce, 65g cucumber, and 65g tomato, with a 2tbsp low fat dressing. It filled me up and for my snack, I would have a wedge of melon with a kiwi.

A vegetable stir fry with rice noodles, in 10ml of sesame oil.

I tend to have more natural sugar but I don't go overboard with the fruit. I have vegetable with every meal. Weighing food helps me not everyone's cup of tea but it keeps me focussed.

I lost weigh my doctor was happy and then took me off of them, so I am now just maintain the healthy eating, I occasionally have a savoury snack like sunbites, we are still high in fat but not as bad a a tub of pringles.

• Posted

Hi Dee , how much did you lose and in what time frame ?
  • Posted

Hi I would like to send a private message to AbbyOK but don't know how to. My partner & I have started prescription 120mg Orlistat Monday 1st July and would like info on diet sheets, meal planners etc. I also have to lose quit a few stone to get healthier, so this is a long term plan. If someone can point me in the right direction of AbbyOK, I will be happier.

Many thanks all, and good luck.

KaeOtic

• Posted

Hi,

I too have recently started on the Orlistat tablets and also have quite a lot of weight to lose. I have read many messages on here and still feel a little confused. If you do by chance find any decent information regarding what to eat/not to eat, i would really appreciate it if you could forward it to me. I have been trying to follow the slimming world menu's for evening meals, weetabix for breakfast and salad for lunch. Fruit inbetween if i feel hungry but i still have not weighed myself so don't know how successful i am being. Have you had any of the little "accidents" while taking them? Sorry to ask but i need to know how others are getting on, lol.

I would appreciate your reply,

kind regards Jo x

• Posted

Hi

I started these tablets on Jan 13th 2013 so far i have lost over 4 stone. I get checked each month at the doctors and will be checked again next week. You have to stick to the plan and no high fat foods. I also gave up bread(you can have it but i decided to give it up)

You will get side effects if you eat the wrong things

Also drink plenty of water

• Posted

You have to read the backs of the food packets no more than 5g of fat per 100g and no more than 15g per meal
  • Posted

4 stones (56 lb / 25.5 kg) since January is really very good smile
  • Posted

Thankyou smile I went for my check up today and have now lost another 5kg.

These tablets do work

• Posted

Do u have any example meal plans u have followed. I have 9 stone to lose.
    • Posted

Hi

There i no 'meal plan' it took hour of going around the upermarket to find out what i could and couldn't have hence why i came on here to help other a there wa no info on the internet. so to answer your quetion you have to lookĀ  for low fat x

• Posted

HiĀ 

me again

so less than 5g fat per 100g and am I right that it's 15 per meal in total so 45g per day.Ā 

Thanks

Lisa x

• Posted

I have another 9 stone to loose too and I'm on my period now and I tend to eat more that week but get weighed again next week so in nearly 2 months I've nearly lost 3 stone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.