Started Orlistat today and confused

Posted , 113 users are following.

Hi! I have just started Orlistat today and have been trying to find a sample plan or menu for the last couple of weeks without success. I know that I shouldn't have anything that is more than 5g fat per 100g however when it comes to exactly what to eat I don't have a clue, I normally eat Quorn, Turkey, Chicken, and fish and eat potatoes, rice, pasta and quinoa. Do I eat like normal but watching my portion size.

I am a huge crisp, chocolate, and biscuit person so would also appreciate help on healthier snacks. I had my first gym session this morning first of many, need to lose 5 stone 11lbs to be my goal weight of 10stone 10lbs. I would like to be half way there on actually there in 6 months would love if it was faster but don't want to put pressure on myself.

3 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Excellent smile
  • Edited

hiya i am starting orlistat in the morning and im really nervous about the side effects!! will be following slimming world also as i have alot of weight to lose. glad i found this forum any tips or meal ideas will be gratefully received wish me luck everyone!! x
  • Posted

Since January 2013 I have lost 2 1/2 Stone. No bread, no sugar, no flower based food, no fried food.

• Posted

I started orlistat today and have just took my first one and had a chicken salad with balsamic vinegar for lunch. I am no expert but I am thinking, plenty of water, plenty of fruit and veg, rice, jacket potatoes, pasta in small amounts and no chocolate, cakes, crisps etc. If anyone has a diet plan though I would be grateful to have a look at it.
  • Posted

I've been on orlistat for 3 weeks now and I've not had any bad side affects, I've been doing weight watchers along side the olristat and so far have lost 10 1/2lbs in 3 weeks. I find it makes you think more before grabbing a cake or some chocolate as you don't want to experience those side affects! I do weight watchers as it's not a dictatorship, you can still have everything you like just in moderation because for most, if your told you can't have something it makes you want it more and I see that as a set up for failure. So I've still been able to eat things I enjoy but much smaller portions. And with orlistat to help it's working smile
  • Posted

I took my first 120g Xenical last night after having an Indo meal of Beef Randang and Ayam Bali...no idea how much fat it contained...but I have been eating healthily for the past 2 weeks...low fat, low GI and low carb....protein shake morning, soup lunch plus protein shake, 2 serves low carb fruit snacks, protein and vege at night. I think I may not be consuming enough fat to take Xenical other than if I have the occasional blow out like last night....can anyone advise please? Not sure if they will work if only taken sporadically. So far today no unpleasant side effects after last night so maybe the fat content wasn't as bad as I had feared. rolleyes
  • Posted

It can take up to 72 hours to have the side effects. For me they have worked by taking them 2 or 3 times a day i only took 2 if i missed a meal
    • Posted

Hi,

i know this thread was posted over a year ago so not sure ill even get a reply but worth a try!

i started orlistat today.. i am quite restricted in what i can eat as i dont make my own meals or get a choice in what meals are made as i live in a residential setting and the menu is set. Anyway you seem to have alot of knowledge about this medication and im really serious about losing this weight and wondered if you could give me a bit of advice in what to eat as i am restricted i cant go into a kitchen and cook what i like. So what i do is i have a protein shake every morning , mid morning maybe a cereal bar/biscuit, lunch i normally have either a tin of tuna in sunflower oil or some sort of flavored cracker, then for dinner i usually have the main meal with everyone which normally consists of quite alot of carbs/fats but i could portion it. Does that sound like an ok diet or should i change it up a bit? Just wondering if you have any tips.

Thanks.

• Posted

Help I have been on them for a while now and still not losing weight. I have also been suffering with bad palpitations that I didn't have before, the doctor told me they don't course them my ECG was normal? some small normal side affects if I eat crisp but other than that nothing is any one else having palpitations? I looked it up and it does seem to be common but not in the list from doctor..
  • Posted

Hi you won't lose weight if your eating crisps surely the side effects must put you off? never heard anything about the palpitations before i know you can still have palpitations and have a normal ecg. have you lost any weight at all?
  • Posted

Hi I'm new to this but been taking orlistat for a week now and nothing. No weight loss no side effects nothing. Have been having cereal for breakfast a sandwich for lunch and a normal evening meal. Have also done two 4 mile bike rides, what am I doing wrong?would love to get started on loosing the 7st I need to. Please help.
  • Posted

Hi Helen you may not lose anything in the first week so keep sticking to it your weight may come off in week 2
  • Posted

Thanks it's just nice to know that there are others out there that are going through the same.
  • Posted

Your welcome i just want to say to anyone who is just starting these to stick with it i am now a size 14 and even that is loose just stick to the plan and drink a ton of water it helps good luck everybody x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.