Started Orlistat today and confused

Posted , 113 users are following.

Hi! I have just started Orlistat today and have been trying to find a sample plan or menu for the last couple of weeks without success. I know that I shouldn't have anything that is more than 5g fat per 100g however when it comes to exactly what to eat I don't have a clue, I normally eat Quorn, Turkey, Chicken, and fish and eat potatoes, rice, pasta and quinoa. Do I eat like normal but watching my portion size.

I am a huge crisp, chocolate, and biscuit person so would also appreciate help on healthier snacks. I had my first gym session this morning first of many, need to lose 5 stone 11lbs to be my goal weight of 10stone 10lbs. I would like to be half way there on actually there in 6 months would love if it was faster but don't want to put pressure on myself.

3 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Use spray oil for everything and i only really eat quorn now it is really low in fat. the lower fat quorn sausages are nicer than the regular ones and are less than 1g of fat per sausage- same with quorn mince it's even nicer than minced beef
  • Posted

I'm surprised people are scared of/don't want the 'side effects' - I really welcome the side effects because they show the drug is actually doing something! They are really no big deal, and it is very reassuring to see those calories in the toilet rather than on your hips.

I do think that Alli almost encourages eating too much fat though. (Not in their instructions of course, but just in terms of what the drug does.) Consider this - thinking purely about calories/weight, compare eating a sausage at 150 calories versus an apple and a small banana at 150 calories.

You eat the banana and apple, take an Alli, nothing will happen.

You eat the sausage, take an Alli, some of those calories will be excreted.

Obviously, we all know the banana and apple are far better for you, too much fat will be bad anyway, the apple and banana may fill you for longer etc. etc. But purely in terms of calories and weight, in the above scenario it makes more sense to eat the sausage!

• Posted

Hi just wondered if any body has suffered from constipation strange I know but have almost been on it a week now and have only had a couple of bowel movements the itchy skin has subsided but I think it's really made me think what you eat plenty of veg salad chicken and fish and inbetween meals fruit so taking them I think is really retraining my brain to but would like to hear if anybody has had the same problem? Thanks smile
  • Posted

Yes you do have constipation for the first week or so it will pass you need to drink plenty of water 2 ltrs a day to keep it all flushing out.

To the person above you do not need to have the orange oil or the diarrhea why would you want those side effects? your obviously not committed enough to the diet to carry on eating high fat foods.

I don't know why anyone would want orange all seeping out and constant diarrhea all for the sake of high in fat foods. I have followed the plan and lost a ton of weight all without those side effects

It removes the fat from a healthy diet without you having to eat high fat foods and be constantly on a toilet. By choosing to still eat high fat you will not re educate yourself into healthy eating therefore when you come off the tablets you will be back where you started

Also you do not need to take the tablet with a meal that is very low in fat or a snack say fruit

• Posted

Hi Britney I started slimming world back in feb so far I'm down from 15.2 to 13.11 which I got to in June I have since I yo yoed between 13.6 to 13.11 I just cannot seem to get lower then 13.6 do you think if I stick to liming world plan and these tablets I will be able to lose some more as I cannot do exorcise so leaves me on diet alone thanks
  • Posted

Hi wardys664

You don't actually need to exercise on this tablets and the low fat diet will help you to lose the weight. but obviously you need some activity even if its just cleaning the house etc. I personally have no experience of the Slimming world diet because i could never find any meals that fitted into the Xenical rules but as you have been on Slimming world and the tablets there must be i just haven't found them!

perhaps if you came off Slimming world and just did the tablets themselves for a couple of weeks you might see a difference don't forget some people do stall and then it picks up again and you lose the weight.

What do you have on a typical day? if you eat a lot of meat i would suggest try quorn even a couple of times a week do you eat a lot of bread? i personally gave up bread because if i didn't i wouldn't stop eating it.

Do you track your intake on MFP?

Also low fat snacks are full of sugar try to limit those you can have one or two but not 5 if you know what i mean

x

• Posted

I have a muller light fruit or poached egg on 1 toast as out if my b choice snack on fruit for dinner I have mug shot or something quick like tuna pasta without dressings for tea I will keep within my daily syns but sometimes I slip with the odd biscuit of choc bar I'm not a big bread fan to be fair I drink green tea and diet coke throughout the day really thanks for your reply I only started on these tablets yesterday so hoping they will shift me down a few gears then it's all about maintaining but it's just worrying me as I don't really consume a lot of fat in this diet so wondering if I stick to diet plus tablet that there gonna help x
  • Posted

Hi again

Just to let you know you will get the side effects from the Chocolate also a lot of people have said that they got the side effects with eggs i don't personally know because i don't eat them same with the cheese the only one we can have is laughing cow light (the purple one) which tastes nothing like cheese.

(if you have eaten something within the rules it can come within 72 hrs of eating it)

I would suggest you have a more filling dinner you would be surprised you can actually eat a lot on these tablets just make sure that its no more than 5g of fat per 100g and no more than 15g per meal.

Use Frylight i guess you would know that anyway being on slimming world.

Good Luck on the tablets and stick to it and the weight really does come off - the first week seems the longest once your past that it will all become second nature i am so glad i have stuck to this

Let me know how you get on x

• Posted

Ok thank you I weigh in every Monday night so I shall post my weigh ins currently starting at 13.11 and a bmi if 31 so hoping to get that down to a healthy number I'm going to try my upmost best to stick to plan as I want my 2 stone award for Christmas smile thanks x
  • Posted

Hi guy's Im new to this, just started on Xenical and I know it says you have to have 5 grams of fat or less per 100grams but is that saturated fats????

Thanks

• Posted

no just the fat content not saturated
  • Posted

hi im starting orlistat today and i am a little nervous after reading the side effects.. i was wondering if anyone has any links to a good meal plan as i cant really find anything thanks.
  • Posted

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could give any advice please I'm going into my 3rd week and didn't loose any the 1st week and lost 3lb last week! I've been so good keeping every meal 5% only snacks inbetween has been fruit or carrots I have suffered with constipation but have just kept with it so hopefully it just may need to take a while to get into my system!

Thanks Ruth x

• Posted

hi ruth have you had any other symptoms? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.