Stem Cell Recovery Forum: Arthritis and Cartilage Injections

Posted , 88 users are following.

A place for patients (and prospective patients) of Stem Cell procedures related to arthritis and cartilage building due to athletic injury, wear-and-tear and arthritis.

7 likes, 187 replies

187 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jeff,

I deleted the posts and deactivated the user advertising a clinic as the other post waiting for moderation was advertising another website/services. If you see any posts like this please use the "Report" link to draw it to my attention. 

Regards,

Alan

Emis Moderator

• Posted

Glad to see you are keeping a sharp eye out for those who use these forums as free advertising rather than as helpful links.  I for one appreciate not having to try to figure out what is a scam/mere advertising and what is real assistance.  Thanks again.
  • Posted

I'm back again. There is now a new hyaluronic injection for the tendons. I am having Ostenil Tendon next week but three weeks ago had the Ostenil PLUS and for the first time in many months of hyaluronic injections and PRP therapy, am noticing less pain and am over the moon.  I do think the weather has a lot to do with pain of arthritis. And I was pleased to read of someone holidaying down in Spanish area as this should help with the pain. I found a site with a guy in America who was massaging arthritic knees and it seemed to be working. I will try to find it and pass it on to you. Only massaging seemed to alleviate it and I did try it on myself. But its so difficult to do this with lower back pain - caused by not being able to walk properly due to pain in the knees. It's a vicious circle. I had also 30ml of water removed! It was myself who asked for that as I could really feel the wad of water circulating around my knee joint. I think we must not be afraid to speak to physicians and ask questions as mine seems to enjoy my questioning and says it is unusual for patients to ask for so many details. TheStemCell Insitute in LA seems to be an excellent source of information and I think there is a lot in these latest attempts to help us with our pain. That is after all, what doctors are trying to do - lessen our discomfort. I managed to shed 6 kilos too! It was sheer will power on my part and I didn't find it so difficult when I realized this means my knees have to carry less weight = less pain. Later in our lives doctors don't always think losing weight is the answer however as crash dieting is not recommended even for the young. I think this forum is excellent as we can share our problems with pain and help one another.
    • Posted

Firstly Mayday - well done you for managing to lose so much weight, it's not an easy task particularly if arthritis pain means it's difficult to do certain exercises, big pat on the back for making such an effort.  Any reduction in weight on a joint will help it, arthritis is often impact related. Glad to hear you're getting some benefit from the injection treatments too.  It's become somewhat politically incorrect to suggest that being overweight is the cause of any given problem I think doctors shy away sometimes from pointing it out.  It's not just the weight bearing element either, fat deposits around vital organs, particularly the liver, can have an effect on the body's ability to repair tissue (eg cartilage) so just having fat internally can adversely affect pain and recovery too.  I so agree with you about being able share problems and solutions on here, I get way more information on this forum than I have ever got from doctors.  

My partner has knee problems and he too gets a build up of fluid on the knee, every now and then it gets so bad it doesn't disperse with anti inflammatories etc and he has to have the fluid removed like you but they'll only do it if he really pushes or it's so bad there's no alternative.  

My OA is in my ankle, resulting from an accident that destroyed the cartilage in the joint, and now in both thumbs joints (doctor told me that once you get OA in one joint, it's more likely that another joint will become affected too).  The ankle is severely disabled but strangely I can manage the pain in that joint much better than I can the thumbs, which have a much higher level pain and are way more inflamed.  I had a cortisone injection in the hand, which was so painful I nearly fainted and the benefits were so short lived, I'm not bothering with that again.  You're so right about the weather - I went a couple of times on holiday to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands, which has dry hot weather most of the year with very little rainfall.  The locals were interested in why I was disabled and some didn't actually understand the concept of arthritis at all.  My doctor doesnt believe the weather has anything to do with it and just humours me if I say so.  I'm planning a visit back to the GP in the new year and this time I'm going armed with info I've gained from this forum and will insist he answers my questions about alternatives to just taking NSAIDs, which my stomach just won't tolerate any more.  Thank you so much for sharing all the valuable information you've gained. xx

• Posted

I know many on here prefer medical treatment but that many are also interested in alternative methods. I discovered Knee Pain Treatment - AVOID SURGERY and found it most interesting and natural. Not saying this would work for all of us but feel we should be open-minded when it comes to what works for some and not for others which includes natural treatments of course. I think if I had the treatment shown I would be severely bruised by it, but there again, we are not all the same.
  • Posted

PLEASE PLEASE can someone tell me if these injections work with arthritis in the hip? I am a young female whom has just been told I need a hip replacement. I do not want a hip replacement. Do the stem cells injection work? And does anyone know if this can be done in the UK? We are DESPERATE for a solution! Thank you for your help.
  • Posted

Hi. Just read the posts here after searching for info related to my knee pain. I am in UK and had a minuscule tear repaired about two years ago, now have some arthritis which was to be expected. Surgeon suggested best option of a partial replacement op which I am not entirely happy about. My dad has had two full knee replacements which have been hugely beneficial but I am only 52 and feel I don't want the surgery (yet!). 

I have had a consultation with an alternative therapies consultant who suggested Ostenil Plus injection and have researched this as much as I can and cannot find any scary stories so far. I am having this procedure next week and hoping for th best. 

• Posted

good luck chappie.  please do keep us informed of your progress, it will be very interesting to hear if this injection is successful for you.  best wishes xx
  • Posted

I am 6 weeks out from stemcell & PRP injections in both thumbs...should be about back to baseline in two weeks or so. I am two weeks out of the splits...still tough to do zippers, jewelry, buttons, tweezers, but no real pain to speak of otherwise...first couple of weeks were tough! Doc says two months of cleanup before the joints begin to improve...I could see results by late February but 6 months is a better time to measure and onward to a year and forward.

Also waiting to see if PRP facet injections will help my back...4 joints injected twice plus platelet lysate epidural. I have everything wrong with my back except that my disc height is good although I do have multiple disc fissues....so hard to know what is the main cause of pain.

• Posted

I have arthritis in my right foot and initially went to the doctor who manipulated and injected (useless).  Now I will be going back to inquire about an operation on the foot and ankle.

I just dread it thinking I could conquer the pain with physiotherapy.  Does anyone know of the least intrusive operation for an arthritic foot?  Possibly the stem cell procedure?  I just don't know.

• Posted

yes you can try the stem cell. Make sure bone marrow is the source as fat is not as good for orthopedic use. PRP may be helpful if you are not in stage four. If the arthritis is severe you will need to go to stem cells...PRP should be mixed with the stem cell. It is a slow process. I know I cannot make a recommendation here but it is important for success that you get to the right practitioners with the best training and technology. If there is a way for you to contact me privately I can point you as I have made mistakes and now am on the right path.
  • Posted

Good Day

I am an American woman who has suffered an injury and I know that there are international cutting edge technologies that I wish to be better acquainted with.  I will be in Europe mid-September or two months and am praying that you will find me an appropriate candidate for your advanced procedures given that the US restricts the use of Stem Cells.  I would consider being part of a trial.

Here is a bit of my history. 

I had a slip and fall injury in February of 2009.

My right ankle was shattered and to date have had 7 procedures and a lot of inflammation and scar tissue which leaves me in need of cartilage on my right ankle.  I am walking practically bone on bone at this juncture.

The constant limping has also damaged my left knee and after having a meniscus laparoscopic procedure in California, I am worse off than before. 

Following this, I suffered an automobile accident in November 2013 where my stopped vehicle was struck from behind therefore injuring both of my shoulders as my hands were on the steering wheel in the 2-10 position when I was struck from behind. 

I have x-rays and MRI’s that I can send to you for evaluation of my shoulders, knee and ankle. 

I am able to walk but not without difficulty or pain. 

I am 70 years of age in good health other than being overweight from lack of activity.  I was an athlete throughout my life.  I take no medications, have excellent blood pressure, do not have diabetes but only some elevation of cholesterol from inactivity. 

Thank you in advance for your consideration,

Respectfully,

Judithe

• Posted

Just had stem cell therapy a few weeks ago. I see people talking about the "clean up " period at the 2 month mark......what does this mean?

I am so excited to have had stem cell therepy to both hips! I am doing physical therapy 2x a week now for 6 weeks. It is helping and I am getting stronger. I am a choreographer / Director/ Dance instructor and my arthritis was becoming unbearable. I am still in pain but I know I need to give it time ....that is why I am interested in the term CLEAN UP that I see in the blogs. Thanks so much for any information anyone may have.

Regards!

• Posted

Can you have stem cell therapy in arthritic feet?  My surgeon said that the typical operation (he didn't suggest stem cell) may make it more worse off than before since there are so many bones in the feet.

So with a shrug after examing my feet he suggested therapy and of course hurried on to the next hapless patient.

Previously, I had no wear and tear, no athletic injury, have worn tennis shoes for the last 20 years and now this.  I HAVE had injections but was a waste of time.

• Posted

I have not heard of using stem cell injections for feet. I had injections done to rebuild cartilidge in my hips . The stem cell procedures are usually done to joints. Not sure if it would work for feet and I haven't seen any literature on that.

• Posted

I am sorry, I am not a doctor.  I you re-read my comments closely I had one joint treated, my choice and expereinced relief for my arthritis for the past three years.  Best course of action is to send an MRI to the cutting edge doctor I went to and he will respond as to how and if he can help.  Google cutting edge stem cell treatment + Boca Raton, Fla.  You should find him. No guarantees with any procedure stems cell or surgery.  You can always do surgery in the future after stem cell.  You risk the lost of money primarily if it does not help you.  As we fight age, the body will continue to revolt as the stem works to rejuvinate our bodies as best it can.  Nothing to loose.  If the condition is very severe, the stem cells cannot perform miracles, but it has been good to me despite my own intern dcotor's lack of support. Doctor's are not apt to recommend non FDA approved procedures as a mater of their professions, licensing, livelihood, etc. issues.  Put your feet in their shoes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.