Still bloated after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hello guys it's me again. So I have been having a couple of issues after my gallbladder removal on August 5th. My stomach seems to feel very full now. This happened maybe 3-4 days after my surgery. I also started getting nauseous. But what bothers me the most is this bloated feeling. It's very uncomfortable and I can't eat much because I feel so stuffed and the nausea makes it worse. If I do try to eat my stomach literally feels like it's about to burst and it makes it hard to breathe. I've been walking here and there maybe 20 blocks each time as I was told walking will make the gas leave. But I feel so bad I'm not sure if anyone has experienced bloating this long? A friend of mine said her bloating and has left in a week. Is it possible to take ginger ale to help me burp, maybe gas x, anything? I just want to feel good again and I honestly feel sick. Don't think I'm constipated and I've been having bouts of diarreah and soft stool.

1 like, 185 replies

185 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi~ I had my gallbladder op on Aug 8~ I now still having bloating, nausea and gastric~~ My doctor asked me take Rabeprazole but I still hving those sick >.<.. Oh ya~ Doctor said me hv mild chronic gastritis and medium sliding hiatus hernia... I wonder is tht cause me sick o wat... I know is everytimes after eat, my stomach will bloating and make me not feeling well XD

• Posted

Hi! I still don't feel well myself and yeah I got this done in august as well! It's been a while now which i was hoping i would been feeling fantastic but that isn't the case. Same bloated crap with the nausea feeling. My stomach feels like I've eaten 10 meals when I've only had a tiny one. And I feel like this for up to 4-5 hours. It's so hard for me I feel so depressed. Are you still feeling the same?

• Posted

I was actually wondering if I might have a hiatal hernia. Do you feel anything in your stomach? I
    • Posted

Mine is medium sliding hernia. It sometimes cause me heartburn, gastric, cramps on gastric area, nausea , a feeling like a thing stuck on ur throat n if the gastric pain become worst, will reflect to my back... so my doctor ask me take Rabeprazole for long tems to control... Others feeling or pain than tht dont hv. I not sure izzit all my sick cause by my sliding hernia as I now hving incisional hernia....
    • Posted

So you have both a sliding hernia and a incisional? Do you actually get sick or just feel sick (nauseous I mean)?
    • Posted

Yeap~ not every time will get nausea. Mayb 1 month not more than 5 times nausea. And gastric almost everday~ if 1 day more than 2 3 times poo poo~ i will get gastric pain... N sometimes will reflect to back.. luckily only pain for few hours. XD
  • Posted

I reduced dairy, and spicy foods almost completely. Also I gave up eating any time within 2 hours of going t bed. Also I had chicken soup and toast for several days. That seemed to cleanse me. 
  • Posted

Hello, I had my gall bladder removed on Nov. 21st, 2016, and have not felt well since. My stomach is bloated, I am always naseated, if I eat, I can only eat a little, then I have very soft stools about 15 minutes after and still feel sick. I have drank ginger ale to help relieve some pressure, but it doesn't seem to last. I thought having this surgery (which I had to have due to gallstones), would help the "sick" feeling, but, I honestly feel worse than before, my doctor said give it a few weeks, but, what do I do during those few weeks? In a month, I have lost 9 pounds. I feel for anyone who has to have this surgery, it will either be great or horrible, and my experience so far has been horrible.

• Posted

Hi, i had my gallbladder removed due to a very large stone causing alot of pain and discomfort!...

I had keyhole surgery december 5th and I still have a very bloated/ swollen looking stomach and look about 6 months pregnant although i dont have much pain! Reading through these comments i see this is quite common...but how long does it stay does anyone know? Im getting married in May and have had to postpone dress fittings due to this 😫

• Posted

Hello fatma2410, I am sorry that you have to postpone such an occasion. I have found that the bloated stomach will lower itself back to normal. I am post op about 7 weeks, and my stomach bloat comes and goes, but is getting less bloated as of this past week. There's really nothing you can do to hurry it along, just give it a little more time and you can have those dress fittings. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

• Posted

I'm now one week post on still having feelings of pressure and fullness in my right side of my abdomen. Can't take a deep breath and still internal bruising type pain. No meds help. No antacids anything. The only way I get relief is to lay down, usually on my side. It's driving me crazy. Idk what else to do. When I Google I always get back liver disease, cancer, heart failure, or gallstones which isn't it because that organ is gone. Now I've noticed since the surgery I have an ever present cough, just and itchy scratchy feeling in my throat, cough with mucous. I just can't catch a break. I go back to work Friday from maternity leave and I'm just really down. I haven't been able to truly enjoy any time with my baby because of these issues and I just don't know where to turn. This isn't anxiety. That's what my Dr says. First he said asthma. When the meds he put me on for that didn't work then he said anxiety. My anxiety involves only panic attacks and I haven't had those since I was pregnant. I go tomorrow for my one week follow up with my pcp so he will probably not have any answers again. I just wish someone could give me an idea of what this is.

• Posted

Hello Sharon, congratulations on the baby, I understand your pain very well. The feeling of fullness, pressure, and not being able to take a deep breath, as well as the cough is probably due to the anesthesia. I was worried about all those symptoms until I couldn't sleep, and finally called the doctor. He explained that anesthesia can stay in your body for about 3-4 weeks, and will gradually wear itself out of your body. In my case, I felt like I had air caught in my joints, and was in so much pain that it hurt to lay down, so, I slept on a slight incline with 2 pillows, which seemed to help with my breathing, and I could finally sleep knowing that it was all from the anesthesia. Every doctor's opinion is different, so your doctor may not agree with my response, however, I am feeling somewhat better now.

• Posted

It's me again, I had 2 surgeries on the same day, gallbladder surgery was 1st and then my elbow surgery right afterwards, so I was under for awhile.

• Posted

Hi!!! Just had my gallbladder removed on Tuesday 12-17. I am having a ton of pain right beneath my breasts as well as sharp stabbing pains suddenly and for no reason. Eating low fat and only little bits at a time! Does this seem normal? I'm also very bloated but I think that will go away? I know it's early but some of these pains are severe...

• Posted

Hi~ I removed my gallbladder on Aug 2016. After operation, I only can eat lil bit foods, sometimes cannot eat coz feeling nausea, bloating. I hv pain and my Doctor said is cause by gastritis (gallbladder fault). now 5 o 6 monthS after operation, i sometimes will bloating, nausea n constipation but can eat normally already.
    • Posted

This is normal I had my surgery on 22nd December 2016 I still get pains and some bloating although I do have ibs as well so I get bloating anyway, I would defo advise keep a low fat diet as when I do eat fat it just causes pains that aren't worth the fat !!!

I felt sharp pain when I coughed or laughed or pushed y self too hard

It gets better though the pain but 4 weeks post opp and I'm still not 100% but it just takes time, I wish you a speedy recovery

• Posted

Hi! The stabbing pains are probably from the gas when they pumped your belly with it to see your organs during surgery. That leaves by doing lots of walking! Gotta be active. I know being in bed sounds awesome since you're probably in pain a little but if you want that pain to leave you need to walk it out! You should feel better in about two weeks or so. Everyone is different when the gas leaves. The bloat is normal to and may take a month or so to fully leave! It's also normal to eat a little bit or if you have no appetite that's normal too, you will get it back soon. How are you doing now by the way, any new symptoms or are you the same?

• Posted

How are you doing now ? You had your gallbladder out a week before I did . Please tell me you are better and that things get better
    • Posted

Thank you Jesus, finally good news. I live for the 5 month era when hopefully things can be back to normal forvme too. Bless you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.