Still feel unwell after Helicobacter Pylori Treatment

Posted , 107 users are following.

Hi,

I had symptoms for about 2 months, nausea and upper abdominal gwaning feeling, plus appetite affected and had waves in the day feeling generally unwell , I think it was brought on due to a stressful situation. I went to the doctors and tested positive for helicobacter pylori. I have completed the 7 day treatment (Triple Therapy.) I was on 400mg Metronidazole 3 times a day, Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day and Omeprazole 2 times a day. I've been off the medication for about 11 days. I have waves of extreme tiredness, abit sickly feeling, sick upper abdominal feeling, tounge doesn't look right, been given thrush treatment for this. And also I have waves of soreness and swelling feeling in the upper stomach. I have lost a bit of weight, a few pounds. I have been off work for a month in total and am wondering if I will ever get my health back?

I take probiotic tablets, Manuka honey, peppermint tea, abit of yoga, walking, plain foods. But admittedly at times I do feel a little bit destressed when I have waves of not feeling so good. Everyday is a battle at the moment. Plus when I go to the loo, last week my stools were acidic, this week a slight improvement, but not normal. The doctor just said they can retest in another 3 weeks. But sometimes I feel so ill.

Any advice in a positive way forward?

6 likes, 418 replies

418 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi all. I'm not sure if I can also post through this discussion which I came to by accident. I'm a Syrian male who is still living in Syria. I was diagnosed with H Pylori on 20th of December and was put on two Antibiotics (Amoxil 500 mg two tablets (1000 mg) morning after breakfast and two tablets after dinner, as well as Tavanic (500 mg) which is Levofloxacin after lunch for 14 days , as well as PPI om empty stomach 20 mg for 30 days. I am off the antibiotics for three days ago but still on PPI as others said here sometimes I feel OK sometimes i feel a slight feeling of nausea sometimes during the day. I also take one teaspoon of Manuka honey in the morning with grounded black seed. I feel discouraged and feel that i won't be 100% well again. Any advice? Do you follow a diet? Can you give me ideas. I eat cheese for breakfast, vegetables like Brocolli, carrots, brown rice, some days chicken breast grilled without oil.. Also no sugar no salt, green tea and Camomile tea .. Frankly, I started to feel bored any ideas to what you usually have for breakfast and dinner.

lots of thanks for sharing your experience.

Danny

• Posted

Hi Danny,

I eat boiled eggs for breakfast, crackers and a fruit: half banana or 1/2 cup of blueberries . I am having some aloe Vera juice (3 spoons) for the burning sensation, it seems it is working. I have chicken soup for lunch and gluten free bread and honey for snack. For dinner I have fish or chicken, potatoes and some veggie. The Dr. told me to follow a low fiber fodman diet. Broccoli produces lots of gas but I heard it is really good for bactetia! Yeah, I agree this is sometimes discouraging. Anxiety is what does not help!! It makes me shaky and weak! Good luck and hope we all feel better.

• Posted

Thanks Sandra for the ideas, I wish you too and all to recover quickly. Is eating eggs daily bad? And what about Gluten-free bread? I guess it is almost seven impossible to get it here in Syria not even before civil war. Is that a necessity  for fighting H Pylori? Do you consume yoghurt? Is it bad to consume dairy products?

Thanks

• Edited

Hi, I think if you had no other problems, gluten-free product is not necessary. Yoghurt for empty stomach makes acid, try to avoid it but after meals if does not hurt you can take, test it. You got therapy very few time ago, you need more time to recover. Keep diet. Avoid sugar and tomatoe, onion especially. Salt can be bad only for the injured stomach. 
    • Posted

I agree with Tamas in regards to glutten free bread. I avoid yogurt because it is dairy but I will try it and see if it goes well in my stomach. I don't eat onions or garlic and drink tea at night. It seems exercising helps so I will start doing at least some minutes a day. Good luck with everything!

• Posted

Thanks for the ideas. I read somewhere that Green tea is very helpful in fighting this bacteria, i consume yoghurt to add some probiotics to my gut to balance what antibiotics did. Will try to stop garlic for few days and see what goes on.

i'm also interested with De-Nol might be the generic formula. Can you take it while on Antibiotics? And can you take it after? Would it affect the test and should be stopped a while before testing?

thanks

• Posted

Green tea is good BUT never drink for empty stomach because it mades a thin acid as well. Eat before some stuff. Yoghurt makes also acid, be aware, but it is personal, for me was bad. Garlic. You can taste your food such as for meat but generally avoid it with onion. It makes extremelly much acid. De-Nol contains bismut-oxid what helps the stomach inside and makes a filter to heal it and not hurts by acid. Yes, you can take while antibiotics. After also you can take. I think would effect the test because for me doctors told that test must be only after antibiotics with min 4 weeks, prazols 2 weeks and antiacid capsules 1-2 weeks. I would not get it this De-Nol before test. Doctors told me that they prescribe triple therapy with probiotics and De-nol together. I finished 2 months ago the therapy I am over the test (freed from HP) and now get only this De-Nol (4 times a day for a month). Hope it helps for long time because you can take only for 2 months. It really made a miracle with me.
    • Posted

Can’t find that DE-NOL it’s been discontinued and you have to order it from Europe or China and if you take it for a long time can cause brain damage I read don’t know enough about it but in England it’s been discontinued 
    • Posted

Anyway talk to your doctor and he/she can describe you the same content medicine what you got there. De-Nol has a manufacturer in Netherlands (Astellas Pharma BV), and their UK distributor has the same name, perhaps you can contact them. Yes, as side effect it can be damage temporary on central neurological system in brain thus it is prohibited to take for a long time (more than 2 months). Doctors told me to take for a month, it is enough, we will see if it helps. In the last 10 days it helped me a lot and hope my stomach can heal in this period.  
    • Posted

Hi again

I've been to a homeopathic practitioner who did loads of strange kind of stuff with a swinging pendulum and she diagnosed me as having an overgrowth of Candida my digestive tract  She discovered that my body at the moment will not tolerate wheat, yeast, sugar, oranges, mushrooms, chocolate and fish.  Fish does not bother me as i never eat it anyway - i would be physically sick!  she has instructed me to go on a strict diet eating none at all of the above foods. She also gave me BIO82 liquid to take10 drops twice a day for 7 days and then 5 drops for 7 days.  On day 10 she told me to take probio7 capsules to repopulate my gut with good bacteria which were killed off with the triple therapy antibiotics

Two days into diet and taking drops and i would say I am 80% improved in my symptoms (pain in stomach and gut and also the feeling of anxiety wondering if the treatment has worked or not.   It's like I've suddenly forgotten about my stomach, whereas i seemed to dwell on it every moment of every day since completing the antibiotics.  I researched the BIO82 drops as I'm a bit of a skeptic with this kind of thing, but here is what i found out - below.  i also feel in charge of my body now and much much cheerier - even started writing music again, which i've not been able to do in months - one happy chappy so far!!

Hope this may be of some help to you all xx

Gastric ulcers

Candida organisms colonize ulcers, particularly when the ulcers are large or perforated (Table 1). In several studies, Candida organisms were cultured from gastric biopsies, brush samples of mucosa or peritoneal fluid. Colonization was observed more frequently in older patients [35,36] and in patients with hypoacidity [36]. In addition, the rate of decrease in ulcer diameter, an indication of ulcer healing, was slower in patients whose stomachs were significantly colonized by Candida in comparison to patients who were not [37]. These studies of UC patients and gastric ulcer patients show that significant colonization with Candida is associated with more severe disease.

To summarize, higher level colonization by Candida was associated with several diseases of the GI tract. Although some of the studies are small and lack sufficient numbers of controls, the results of several studies reinforce each other and support the overall conclusion.

• Posted

Hello the thing is I take pepzinc GI and probiotics 16 strain also I take DGL but because I have erosive esophagitis the peppermint in the DGL will irritate the osephagus so I don’t take that now but I’ve lost a stone through having h.plyori I’m depressed and I have this constant chest pain and anxiety throughout and when I go out I have panic attacks and even at night aswell which can be scary I wake up feeling sick like I’m dizzy and feeling like I’m going to die do you know what that can be? Waiting to be tested for eradication next week
    • Posted

I am sorry Anna you are going through this. I completely understand what you are feeling. Everybody tells me it is in my mind and that our mind is so strong we can create our own reality. It is difficult for me to accept that and it even put more pressure and anxiety on me because I constantly think about how I can overcome this myself. Anyways, I have been following advises such us a better diet, small meals, manuka honey, acupuncture, going for short walks, breathing techniques. Is all this helping? I don't know but we have to keep trying. Good luck and I really hope we feel better soon.

• Posted

So sorry that you're feeling so bad Anna.  i was too until the stuff i mentioned above.  I have several weeks to go yet before i can be tested to see the the H Pylori has been eliminated or not too and it is the waiting that is the worst.  i lost a stone in November, purely because i had no appetite and whatever i eat hurt so much.  Yy appetite has returned a but but i still prefer to eat little and often.  ask you doc for some diazepam at night to tide you over for a week or so - it will help.  it got this when a completely broke down at my doc appt and she was so supportive and offered me two weeks supply to take at my own discretion.  i have not used them all yet but they are there for a bit longer if i need them.  Really hope things improve for you soon.  Can i now ask what might seem a irrelevant question - do you have any lesions or Cavernoma's in your brain or do you suffer from Epliepsy?  As an American study has found out - cavernoma's are created by a stomach bug crossing the blood brain barrier and i think that's what happened to me as the Cav was only discovered 7 years ago after a lifetime of gut problems

• Posted

Thank you. I have been drinking matula tea every day twice a day do feel a bit better in myself but still having nightmares awful! Still have the clicking joints and pain in my wrists and arms but will do the stool test on Thursday to see if eradicated🙏🏻

• Posted

Hi, I have test on Saturday after the second round of treatment. Im worried as I'm still feeling bad and thing are not progressing. I dont don't know what to do if the result will be positive, I really can't take antibiotics again. I hope it will be eradicated. Im suffering since October. Today was the first day in my new job and I'm not having that excitement I'm jist thinking when will I be back to my normal life.

• Posted

Hani,

I really hope you erradicated the Pylori this time. Have you changed your diet? It has helped me a little because eating fat things, meat and big meals is not good for me. First treatment did not erradicate the H pylori and I tried the Mastic gum but it caused more dizziness. I think I am going to stop it. I will wait until I have a break to try the second treatment. I know everybody says: be strong, you can make it, give it time to heal but when you have responsibilities it is hard to keep up. What I know is that keeping my mind busy helps and that is what working does. I wish you the best and crossing fingers you erradicated this awful bacteria.

• Posted

Keep on! I was suffering months from this crazy bacteria, from August and only now in January feel better. Take care of your diet, walk a lot, drink tea and avoid stress. With passing of time it will be better!
    • Posted

Write here the result of eradiction. Hope it is over also for you. I was talking to doctor and she told me that if I have no problems I can leave De-nol after 2 weeks. This year I had no any problems yet and I started to eat normally (small pizza, fat duck) even if drinks with gas or alcohol did not try. I tried also avoid stress but looks I loose my job soon, but hope stomach problems will not return. Perhaps you could ask your doctor something similar as this De-nol was for me, it really helped and bring back to life. Wish you the best for the test!
    • Posted

I was taking mastic gum 3-4 came out in a rash so if I take it again I think it will just be the once a day! I’m not taking antibiotics again if not it addicted I will take natural supplements and eat lots of cabbage and broccoli 🥦 the bacteria hates these veg coconut oil ect I even drink the water that I’ve cooked the broccoli in anything to kill this paracite!

• Posted

Thanks Anna, I will do the same.

I'm also feeling palpitation in my belly and some times in many parts of my body. is this normal and because of the infection? 

• Posted

Thanks Sandra, yes I'm trying to eat the good food for this case also I stopped all caffeine drinks and I quit smoking also.

Yes I understand and I'm also trying to keep my mind busy it helps also. 

• Posted

Thanks Tamas, means that it might be eradicated but still feel the same symptoms? if yes this makes me feel good at least keep optimistic that the result might be negative. 

What tea? you mean green tea? 

• Posted

Yes, exactly. I was eradicted with the first course in November and tested in December, but even now if I eat what irritates my stomach or overstress it has the same symptoms (except burning acid in stomach). Now I got a tablets for protecting stomach and usually no problem. Yesterday I ate food with onion what made my day terrible today...it needs a very long time for the stomach to be again 100%. I was talking today to one friend, her mother at age 50 had HP some years ago and she had to pass 2 years till everything was 100% again with diet and so on. It is not an easy and short road to be again healthy...keep on
    • Posted

Tea. Yes, green tea is good without sugar and lemon but eat something before tea because it can makes acid in stomach if stomach is empty. By us we can buy special tea for stomach (it is a mix with herbal things such as camomilla etc) in pharmacy. Try it, some people helps it, for me was good. Eat rice it also good against stomach acid. Read back what we wrote here, it helps. If you have any question just ask and I reply if I can.
    • Posted

Thanks a lot Tamas, I'm waiting for Saturday to see the result. 

• Posted

Hi Anna, what was your test result? hope it was negative.

I did it yesterday and it was negative, I feel better at least its gone, still have some symptoms. 

• Posted

That's really good Hani!  i have another 3 weeks to wait for mine as they won't do it inside 4 weeks and I'm on antibiotics for something else just now.  Seems to be one thing after another once our gut has been destroyed

• Posted

Yes I had the same after the HP antibiotics I got a horrible throat infection. I hope yours will be eradicated. I believe you still have some symptoms which is normal.

Its a difficult time and has to pass.

• Posted

I got tested for h.plyori it was not irradiated. I have now just finished 14 days triple therapy which was not so bad not like before I had claryothmicin instead of metronidazole I feel ok I’m on Zantac now until my endoscopy on the 28th of March I do hope it’s been irridicated this time!
    • Posted

Well , You're on the same treatment I took 11 month ago. It worked for me. Still have some stomach problem but nothing like before. Wish you luck.

• Posted

Anna, i am so glad you are feeling ok after the second treatment. It gives me hope if I decide to go for a second treatment. I am scared of those medications and what they made me feel the first time and did not erradicate h pylori.
    • Posted

Sandra if you decide to do a second treatment I would recommend you start taking Saccharomyces Boulardii before, during and after your treatment. It helps ease the side effects of the triple therapy.

It will help keep the good gut flora, prevent thrush and yeast infection. I am still taking it after my treatment, it keeps candida at bay while our stomach acid is still low from ppi.

I was very nervous about the treatment but the saccharomyces boulardii made it much more tolerable. I heard it weakens the biofilm of the h pylori also. I just had an endoscopy, waiting for results. H pylori is no fun and will take a while to heal.

• Posted

Thank you Taro for the advise! I have been taking Probiotocs for the last two months and switched to a different one because I was getting some cramping but I am still looking for something that does not cause side effects. I see several brands on line, do you use a specific one? Thanks again!
    • Posted

Sandra I use Jarrows brand, they seem to work very well. I wish you well.

• Posted

Sandra I’ve finished the treatment I’m on Biocidin and mastic gum can’t take Zantac as waiting for endoscopy on the 28th March . The problem is I’m feeling really down and anxious with everything now I’m worried about stomach cancer I don’t know my anxiety has gone through the roof

• Posted

Ohh Anna, i am sorry you are not feeling well now. This is like a rollercoaster, some days have been good for me while others are horrible. Don't think the worst because that is your anxiety controlling you. I know it is easier to say it than dealing with it but we need to be strong. There are days when I think I won't be able to get out of this and I feel so sad but try to go back to positive thinking to be able to at least have hope. Lets keep trying to not think constantly about what we feel with the H pylori and lets keep our good diet and exercising and be positive we will feel better sooner than later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.