Strange vibration sensations - what's causing it??

Posted , 140 users are following.

I've found several forums where there have been posts from people experiencing this disconcerting feeling of an internal quivering or vibration but none of them are current, so I wanted to see if anyone else out there is having the same experience and can share an insight into what might be causing it.

I started to get this feeling of internal vibration when I was mainly lying in bed and then occasionally if I shifted position it might last for 30 seconds or so before disappearing. That was about 8 months ago. Now I feel it every night and during the day as well quite often. The other day after a short walk of a few hundred yards followed by a period of standing still it felt like the ground was vibrating  because it was in my feet. It seems to move around to different areas of the body - sometimes I feel it in my legs, an arm, torso - it's quite random but often felt when I've shifted position in bed. At first I thought it was circulatory but now I think it's probably neurological. I thought I was having palpitations but an ECG showed nothing abnormal. I've also had a full spine & brain MRI as I've been having other strange symptoms of occasional numbness and sensations of burning and cold areas of my arms/hands and legs/feet and a sore tongue which comes and goes and often feels like I've just cleaned my teeth with menthol toothpaste when I haven't. I thought I had all the signs of MS, but it hasn't been diagnosed. I've also had a number of blood tests for immune issues, evoked potentials and nerve conductivity tests. Nothing! The MRI does show a lot of wear to my cervical vertebrae and two anterior spondylolisthesis - one cervical, one lumbar, so I wonder if my spinal issues could be the cause. My neurologist was doubtful. He also couldn't explain the vibration sensation except to say that it can be caused by a migraine, which I certainly haven't had. 

I just don't know where to go with this now.  My GP isn't interested and puts everything down to stress which I AM under it's true to say, but I don't think she's right. I've had to pay for all my neuro investigations as a result because she won't refer me or do any more blood tests etc.  I'm trying homeopathy, osteopathy and acupuncture as I want to find something that will relieve these weird symptoms and prefer to avoid drugs if I can.

I'm 58, eat reasonably heathily, no alcohol, only 1 cup of coffee a day and my weight is normal. I broke my wrist badly at the end of August last year which is when my problems all seemed to start. i

I also wonder if the metal plate that was used to fix the fracture could be causing some kind of strange reaction.

If anyone else is having these symptoms please let me know if you've been able to identify the cause and how to deal with it.

10 likes, 269 replies

269 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi I'm Jennifer I'm always feeling vibrations if my anxiety acts up I'll feel shaking like there's a moderate or sometimes large earthquake but it's just me and I hear humming like the fridge makes I feel and hear both everywhere I go I can't take it anymore sometimes it makes me depressed cause it won't go away and I just want to sleep my psychiatrist just put me on benidril to help me sleep won't change my meds right now I wish it would go away I try to distract myself by watching Netflix and playing my Restaurant games anyway I hope you find something that helps hang in there and hugs

• Posted

i think it might be mold exposure!!!!

• Posted

I think you may be right. I have worked it down to mold or sugar intake. I use a very large amount of sugar and my doctor has told me to stop all sugar, am very allergic to mold.

• Posted

SALLY,

I'm 56 and have had the same vibrations in both feet and less so but in both hands since NOV., 2018 (10 months). I had all the same tests with 2 bulging discs in my cervical spine i too am fit, as I hike, ski and bike nor have I been diagnosed with any underlying health issues.

This was my year of change (peri to meno) and prior to my change suffered a minor break to my right ankle while skiing. CONSEQUENTLY this is my weaker side and the vibrations occur more within my right foot and calf and mostly at night however the vibrations stay with me throughout the day.

i believe it is a cervical spine issue and anything we can do to take care if our bones and strengthen our spine is a good thing

PLEASE lets stay in touch as I TOO went through the fear of ALS/MS and I swear I've AGED 10 years just due to worry ~ I ALSO question the onset of a frozen shoulder over 15 months ago as the trigger that may have attributed to the vibrations as I WAS SLEEPLESS with pain and now suffer from insomnia due to the endless nights if being awake with the pain of a shoulder. Now, my shoulder has returned to normal but I STILL HAVE STIFFNESS when I WORK at my sit/stand however, everything is getting better and I keep busy and enjoy mother nature and golf as much as possible.

Sending many hugs to those of you who suffer from these weird sensations. I NOW REFER TO THEM AS GOOD VIBRATIONS and a part of my life story. BE WELL!

• Posted

I had the same internal buzzing and vibrations for a while until someone pointed out that this can be cured by breathing excercises. I started practicing 478 breathing and it has certainly brought down the intensity by 80%. I used to do this 12 times in a sitting, every 2 hours, totalling to 8 times a day, and saw a change in 2 days. Could someone try this and let me know if it worked for them? I'm curious. Thanks.

• Posted

i get this in abdomen, lower legs. feet.

have searched for answers too.

don't have MS either

feels like a weak mobile phone buzzing! it can last days on and off but much more noticeable at night.

I have no answers, it seems to be more annoying than anything serious so far. it is a very strange sensation. almost electrical.

• Posted

Yeah it sounds like you have same thing i do. i actually finally got an answer about it from my primary care physician. she asked all her colleague's and apparently its nothing to fear and totally harmless. Guess we are just chosen as one of the unlucky few who have to put up with it. at least its nothing to worry about. phew!

• Posted

meant to add, I'm 46, post menopausal, not overweight.

I will repost with any information i find.

• Posted

Have you checked for B12 deficiency/pernicious aneamia?

• Posted

I had the same internal buzzing and vibrations for a while until someone pointed out that this can be cured by breathing excercises. I started practicing 478 breathing and it has certainly brought down the intensity by 80%. I used to do this 12 times in a sitting, every 2 hours, totalling to 8 times a day, and saw a change in 2 days. Could someone try this and let me know if it worked for them? I'm curious. Thanks.

• Posted

Not sure if my doctor has checked for B12 deficiency or not but i will definitely ask. not sure my insurance will pay for that test or not, but ive always wondered if im lacking any vitamins so I think it will be worth paying for this test. thanks for the tip

• Posted

B12 is water soluble and your body will excrete any excess in urine, so save some money on the tests and just self medicate. The vitamin is extremely safe, I get a monthly injection for my Pernicious Anemia that is over 30,000% the recommended daily dose. You can have symptoms even if your blood work shows you in the "norms" for B12 as they vary so much. i.e. 200 — 900 pg/ml.

And the good news is, B12 is cheep as well as safe. So. my advice, though Im no doctor, would be to take some and see if it effects your symptoms. Ask your doctor or just research PA online.

• Posted

About 25 years ago I developed an internal tremor i noticed most when lying in bed. Luckily a new holistic MD had come to town, and i saw him over the tremors and a few other items. After running several tests, i had NO B12 in my system. He got me on self administered shots (Super cheap but requires a prescription as my colon isn't always absorbing vitamins as it should). The tremors complete went away in 3 days. To this day, i still give myself a monthly B12 shot and when I do get blood work done, the levels are always healthy.

in the last 5 months i've developed a different internal 'buzzing'. It's very different from the previous tremors, which were definitely a shaking feeling. This is a buzzing just in my torso, as if the nerves there were turned up too high. My holistic doctor has no answer at this point as I i have other issues we're focusing on.

At 63 I've been diagnosed with scarring alopecia (permanent hair loss) which i think is the result from a serious staph infection (who knows where that came from or how long i've had it).

From reading your comments and many replies, there seems to be many comments on spine issues. I do have some uncomfortable but not debilitating spinal issues in several places (cervical, lumbar and thoracic) as well as L5S1 spondylolisthesis so maybe the nerves in trouble are the common denominator. It makes sense if they are inflamed that they would be letting off a frequency of some sort.

I only feel it in the mornings, and some mornings, though rare, i don't feel it at all. And when I don't feel it I can sometimes witness it turning on. so weird. The buzzing is not tied to my back hurting. But i've had the back issues for a long time. So maybe it's wear and tear on the troubled nerves that has them speaking up.

I don't feel it in any other part of my body. I don't have migranes, and its not in our imagination. I don't think doctors have a clue until it happens to them.

• Posted

I am 84 years old and over the last 3 months have had the vibration in my feet off and on.I NOW HAVE IT ALL THE TIME and went to doctor and was told he had never heard of it and i muss be suffering from stress and just take some vitamins which i already do.I am now too frightened to go anywhere on my own as i am afraid of falling over.I FEEL DEFEATED

• Posted

i finally got a dr to say its not really anything to worry about in my case. it did eventually go away. its just our nerves reacting to something. there are however a few more serious things, i read some where, that it could be. Do you have ANY other symptoms at all? anything new (either b4 or after the vibrations started) that are "new" to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.