Strange vibration sensations - what's causing it??

Posted , 140 users are following.

I've found several forums where there have been posts from people experiencing this disconcerting feeling of an internal quivering or vibration but none of them are current, so I wanted to see if anyone else out there is having the same experience and can share an insight into what might be causing it.

I started to get this feeling of internal vibration when I was mainly lying in bed and then occasionally if I shifted position it might last for 30 seconds or so before disappearing. That was about 8 months ago. Now I feel it every night and during the day as well quite often. The other day after a short walk of a few hundred yards followed by a period of standing still it felt like the ground was vibrating  because it was in my feet. It seems to move around to different areas of the body - sometimes I feel it in my legs, an arm, torso - it's quite random but often felt when I've shifted position in bed. At first I thought it was circulatory but now I think it's probably neurological. I thought I was having palpitations but an ECG showed nothing abnormal. I've also had a full spine & brain MRI as I've been having other strange symptoms of occasional numbness and sensations of burning and cold areas of my arms/hands and legs/feet and a sore tongue which comes and goes and often feels like I've just cleaned my teeth with menthol toothpaste when I haven't. I thought I had all the signs of MS, but it hasn't been diagnosed. I've also had a number of blood tests for immune issues, evoked potentials and nerve conductivity tests. Nothing! The MRI does show a lot of wear to my cervical vertebrae and two anterior spondylolisthesis - one cervical, one lumbar, so I wonder if my spinal issues could be the cause. My neurologist was doubtful. He also couldn't explain the vibration sensation except to say that it can be caused by a migraine, which I certainly haven't had. 

I just don't know where to go with this now.  My GP isn't interested and puts everything down to stress which I AM under it's true to say, but I don't think she's right. I've had to pay for all my neuro investigations as a result because she won't refer me or do any more blood tests etc.  I'm trying homeopathy, osteopathy and acupuncture as I want to find something that will relieve these weird symptoms and prefer to avoid drugs if I can.

I'm 58, eat reasonably heathily, no alcohol, only 1 cup of coffee a day and my weight is normal. I broke my wrist badly at the end of August last year which is when my problems all seemed to start. i

I also wonder if the metal plate that was used to fix the fracture could be causing some kind of strange reaction.

If anyone else is having these symptoms please let me know if you've been able to identify the cause and how to deal with it.

10 likes, 269 replies

269 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, Your post was so helpful to me. My 'strange vibrations' started 5 months ago, & during the first 3 months, it was so strong, i thought it was External, like a machine of some sort, in someone else's apt., b/c i checked all of my own, including the fridge, (!), or that a water-pump had broken underneath my apt., since that same week it started, a water-main broke, that the city had to fix, while we were without water for a day. The vibration was so strong that it would wake me up, or not let me go to sleep. i could feel it UNDER my feet !!! FINALLY, within one day, it proved to be Internal Only, which was a HUGE SURPRISE to me !!!!!!!!There were only about 5 days, during that 3 months, that it was 'completely off,' contributing to my thinking that it was an External Broken Machine. Needless to say, i tried to track it down to what foods might be causing it, & went gluten-free, sugar-free, (mostly), & tomato-free, but yet, it continues after i eat, which makes me tired, & i wake with 'vibration,' tho' much less than before. i have always used herbs for my ailments, besides my MD. i am 64. i have not yet spoken to an MD about this, b/c even tho' it was barely tolerable, it was not debilitating, but it did approach being so. I have always had a 'straight cervical spine,' causing long-headaches, when i don't use a chiropractor regularly, & a couple of times, my sacrum has pinched nerves, enough so that i was bedridden for a week. THIS, could be the spine-related, combined with 'superfoods' related, i thought. My mom is 84, pre-diabetic, & also has this 'vibration' !!!!! (OMG, 20 more years of it for me ? i hope not !)

You helped me so much, b/c i also have an ablated-thyroid, & thought it might be related to that. Thank you so much.

• Posted

P.S. i also had a strained-sprained right wrist, for many months, for a near 6-8 months, the year before 'vibration' began; (required me to wear a hard-brace, for months), & from WHAT, i knew not, except perhaps huge-text-requirements, from my phone, for work.

• Edited

Hi Sally,

I've tried replying several times, but keep having issues so I'll get to the point.

Have a look at surviving mold or look into mold illness.

It connected the dots on EVERYTHING I'd been having issues with.

Good luck and I hope this helps

• Edited

Just a new FYI: My 'vibration,' seems to have begun, due to a bovine-cellular Protein Powder, from 4Partiots. The Overly-Strong, Non-Human, (i called it), vibration, began after i finished the first & only bottle i bought ! Since i was already working on stomach issues, i had changed my diet to gluten-free, a few months before it. What i had to quit, was honey & maple syrup, then the 'vibration,' doesn't wake me up, & not stop. Well, it's better, but not completely gone yet.

• Edited

I awoke with my spine vibrating. It feels like the strangest thing ever. It went away after about 10 minutes and was all but forgotten until a few days later when it happened again. Then more and more frequently, until it was every night and morning. That's when it started lingering throughout my mornings. It seemed worse with coffee/caffeine, feeling jittery and just not right. Weakness and tired. Brain fog. Tingling in hands and feet at night or while sitting. Sickly feeling. I remembered I felt these feelings 15 years ago with the exception of the vibrating spine. I was sitting around feeling like i was dying. At the time I had young children and was extremely scared something was majorly wrong. My then wife(now ex) was ready to leave me because I had lost all motivation to function and basically sat around when not at work. She demanded my doc put me on antidepressants and came home with a script of zoloft. A little over week later I was symptom free. I did not feel I was ever depressed and chalked it up to coincidence. After these similar symptoms have returned I figured Id try anything( spine vibrations are scary as hell). I told my doc a few days ago to start me back up on Zoloft. After 2 days the vibrations have stopped. I'm feeling much better all around. Time will tell but I thought I'd get this message out to hopefully help anybody .

• Edited

Elaine said a lot of things that ring true to me.

I know this post is old, but signed up to share.

the vibration worries me at times, then forgot to mention it to my dr.

I will call and tell them.

I had low blood pressure all my life, the it went high enough to take medicine at 56. I had stress, but now after 3 years my BP is low again as my stress has gone. it was 91/60 on my home machine so I will call the dr and see if I still need the BP meds.

I had many tick bites and many Lyme tests all negative. hard to believe as my boyfriend at the time did get Lyme with the sickness and rash.

I am HIV positive, but very healthy, but have taken hiv meds for 20 years and they are string meds, known for neuro, kidney, liver, heart issues.

glad I stumbled upon this as the vibrations seem to happen more often and last longer.

I have chronic fatigue and chronic wide spread, fibromyalgia pain and sleep a lot. I will take your advice about my sleep cycle.

I can get up at 10AM have coffee, cereal, check my email, news and want to just sleep again. can't keep my eyes open. feel like I have mono. I had that in 5th grade.

someday I just have to sleep after only being awake for 4 -6hrs.

thanks for listening.

I am in the states, but when I find people in the UK that are sensible that have these issues, I reach out.

thanks. stay safe.

d

• Posted

oh, another thing I read, is vitamin b12. I was taking it last year and don't remember having as many vibrations. i read it really helps neuro things.. i have neuropathy in my feet and bulging disc's in my neck and lower back..

need to start a new health journal.

anyway, I am not eating properly lately and not taking vitamins so I will start again and see. I live alone now, and with covid, I just am sad about the world, stay home, don't go out and not hungry..

I don't eat a lot of meat and surely not enough veggies, no beans lately.

let's see if nutrition and vitamins helps.

• Posted

Thanks for restarting this thread. I was reading some of the older posts when I came across this one. For the past year or two I've had this strange sensation of...something. I was having a hard time describing it. It sometimes felt like a cat or other small animal was walking on my bed. Other times it felt like something was running around inside my mattress. I actually bought a new mattress because I was convinced there were mice or squirrels living inside it, only to have it continue with the new one. It only just occurred to me to see if others might experience the same thing. I was beginning to think I had ghosts and/or I was losing my mind. Although it doesn't seem anyone has any definitive answers yet, it's good just to know I'm not alone.

If you're wondering, I seem to have a combination of everything everyone has mentioned - depression, stress/anxiety, lupus, osteoarthritis, hypertension, migraines, sleep apnea not serious enough to warrant a CPAP, and I'm on a number of medications.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

• Posted

Hi, I can relate to these weird sensations, I get what I describe as vibrations in my legs and body, it seems to be worse for me when Im in bed, Im putting these symptoms down to medication that I was prescribed after having a mild heart attack

• Edited

Yes I have this all the time. Thanks so much for sharing. Nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with all this and no answers.

• Edited

mine started after my sciatic was so bad to where I couldn't even get out of bed

• Posted

It could be symptoms of anxiety, but it sounds like brain malfunction or problems. The best thing to do is work on your mental state and it will help ease on these problems. Its important to look after the mental wellbeing.

• Edited

I've been having the same feelings and can either say it's stress and maybe a possible anxiety attack that is minor or with my path to awakening myself have found it could be my body letting me know to let go and allow the next step on this journey.

Have you had a Reiki Session. If not I recommend you get in touch with someone to schedule a session. It might sound silly but is and has been proven by medical practitioners.

If I come up with something new I will reply again.

For me it hasn't been every day. Yesterday was the first I've had it happen multiple times throughout the day and this morning same thing. I almost feel it's not just my body because I'm finding myself in a way feeling someone or something else. Like a vision except it feels real. I have thoughts and what feels like memories which are not mine.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your own experiences. Yes I have tried Reiki and even did Reiki I myself years ago although haven't practised it for eons! I agree that it is an excellent treatment for stress and helps to calm the mind and body.

So finally I think I have found the answer to my personal experiences and most probably yours as well as countless others who have posted their own experiences here.

Basically you're quite right - it's the body's reaction to stress and it is a recognised condition with a name - FND, an abbreviation for Functional Neurological Disorder. It's not well understood or easily diagnosed. Most doctors know very little about it. I only found out about it because a friend was having regular blackouts and has just been diagnosed with Disassociative Disorder, which is at the extreme end of FND. symptoms, but it does seem to manifest itself in many different ways in different people. There is interesting reading on this link and its associated pages ...

What you've described, especially when you say you feel like its not your body fits with the symptoms described in the section headed Other Forms of Dissociation.

https://www.sth.nhs.uk/services/a-z-of-services?id=115&page=294

For me it helps to know that it is a recognised condition and now I can find more information and support if needed. FND for me is definitely the result of several very stressful events happening to me one after the other over a period of 5 years. The levels of stress just kept building but instead of reacting emotionally which I'm good at controlling, my nervous system was going into hyperdrive.

Thankfully I experience very few symptoms these days, but when they were at their height I was convinced that I had MS or some other progressive neurological disease so it is a relief to know that it's something quite different, although symptoms mimicked it in several aspects. This is why so many people have posted here saying that all investigations have shown they have nothing wrong and Doctors don't help most of the time as they know next to nothing about it.

I'm just glad to have found the answer to my own question at long last and I hope that reading this will help many others too.

• Edited

Hi everyone. So i've been experiencing exactly the same problem. I am 25 years old, and was very skinny and eating poorly, then i had a bad case of flu after which i've started to experince all kinds of neurological and even psychiatry symptoms. It started with my toe twitching, then twitches all over body, then vibrations, its been 2 years, doctors said that its electrolyts problems like sodium or magnesium etc. MRI was fine, niddle EMG was also normal to see muscle activity, however i had very low Iron levels and ferritin. Also my pulse was very high while standing up. But recently something interesting happened. And maybe this info will be usefull to someone.

I had an alergic reaction to something and my lip became the size of an orange so doctor said to have a shot of Dexametazone glucocosteroid drug. And i've never felt so good in years, not only my lip went down, but i felt so much energy, twitching and vibration completely stopped and i had no head spinning while standing up nor heart race. Then i've read that this drug affects sodium level and sodium was lower before it. Maybe those vibrations are really vitamins and minerals lack. After a month vibration returned but were twice less intense and twitching hasnt returned yet.

Now my GP said next step is to do IV with iron because my ferritin very low and iron affects Dopamin and dopamin affects our nervous system.

Let me know what you think guys! hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.