Strange vibration sensations - what's causing it??

Posted , 140 users are following.

I've found several forums where there have been posts from people experiencing this disconcerting feeling of an internal quivering or vibration but none of them are current, so I wanted to see if anyone else out there is having the same experience and can share an insight into what might be causing it.

I started to get this feeling of internal vibration when I was mainly lying in bed and then occasionally if I shifted position it might last for 30 seconds or so before disappearing. That was about 8 months ago. Now I feel it every night and during the day as well quite often. The other day after a short walk of a few hundred yards followed by a period of standing still it felt like the ground was vibrating  because it was in my feet. It seems to move around to different areas of the body - sometimes I feel it in my legs, an arm, torso - it's quite random but often felt when I've shifted position in bed. At first I thought it was circulatory but now I think it's probably neurological. I thought I was having palpitations but an ECG showed nothing abnormal. I've also had a full spine & brain MRI as I've been having other strange symptoms of occasional numbness and sensations of burning and cold areas of my arms/hands and legs/feet and a sore tongue which comes and goes and often feels like I've just cleaned my teeth with menthol toothpaste when I haven't. I thought I had all the signs of MS, but it hasn't been diagnosed. I've also had a number of blood tests for immune issues, evoked potentials and nerve conductivity tests. Nothing! The MRI does show a lot of wear to my cervical vertebrae and two anterior spondylolisthesis - one cervical, one lumbar, so I wonder if my spinal issues could be the cause. My neurologist was doubtful. He also couldn't explain the vibration sensation except to say that it can be caused by a migraine, which I certainly haven't had. 

I just don't know where to go with this now.  My GP isn't interested and puts everything down to stress which I AM under it's true to say, but I don't think she's right. I've had to pay for all my neuro investigations as a result because she won't refer me or do any more blood tests etc.  I'm trying homeopathy, osteopathy and acupuncture as I want to find something that will relieve these weird symptoms and prefer to avoid drugs if I can.

I'm 58, eat reasonably heathily, no alcohol, only 1 cup of coffee a day and my weight is normal. I broke my wrist badly at the end of August last year which is when my problems all seemed to start. i

I also wonder if the metal plate that was used to fix the fracture could be causing some kind of strange reaction.

If anyone else is having these symptoms please let me know if you've been able to identify the cause and how to deal with it.

10 likes, 269 replies

269 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I went to my GP tonight. I said to him "Please I need to know what is wrong  with me. You are the only one that can help me"  He is the only one that can. He was asking about my Rheumo  Dr what has she done if anything. I told him no all blood work is neg. She is doing nothing just that the neg bloodwork so I have nothin> My GP said that you must have this thing that all the connective intertying tissue  So he has me come back Wed to get blood drawn again I told him I have had so much blood drawn and it shows neg.  I am twitching so bad right now trying to type. Anyway he said no he is resting me for lupus and other did  He said for as many connective tissue dis.  So I trust him he always finds out the problem  This Lyrica I hope isn't giving me a problem.

• Posted

Hi Diane

One think u might think about is MULTIPLE CHEMICAL SENSITIVITY or MCS.  U can become sensitive to just everyday used products, like perfumes, cleaning products, laundry products too.  Lotions hair products, things u put on ur face.  

The symptoms r varied. From shaking to weakness in ur legs, inside mouth of ur mouth and throat too. Some of gets arthritis type flare ups when exposed to the products.  Some get dizzy. Or burning eyes. In ability to fall asleep.   It took me 2 years to finally notice a pattern.   

Anyway u might take a few minutes and read about it. More abs more people r becoming sensitive to chemicals.  I have even become reactive to pharmaceuticals.  Long story.  

Look for patterns when u flare ups. That might help u. 

Good luck 

• Posted

These vibrations are from my feet up. I can now feel to my face.  My Rheumo dropped me She doesn't take my insurance this yr.  I am at a loss. I am tired of the pain happening from the vibrations now.  My GP took so much blood results are not back for another week.  The dryness is subsiding  I actually yawned yesterday and tears came in my eyes. I was shocked.   Now if the thick mucus in mouth and burnt feeling on tongue and mouth were gone. My taste buds are gone No matter what I drink or eat no taste but salt and burning The Dr told me to use scope dilute with water No Listerine  I need something to stop the burning that doesn't.  Oral surgeon said no problem with the Amalgam in my mouth No Thrush  Plus I do have edema in my mouth

• Posted

Oh I also wanted to say, I have had the best luck with  drs that r OSTEOPATHS. Instead of treating the sysmotom they try and find the reason for it.  

Osteopaths r kind of a cross between western and eastern medicine. Or that has been my experience. Osteopaths can do everything that a regular MD can do and they do adjustments like chiropractors do.       I find they listen better and just seen to be honesty interested in us and our symptoms.   Call ur insurance company and see if there is one nearby that takes ur insurance.  

Good luck. 

• Posted

I went to my Neuro Dr yesterday about the vibration Now from Feet up to face with numbness and pain.  He said I had a pinched nerve in L4 and L5.  I do get shots in same area 3x a yr He said no that is different.  He saw my shaking just by talking to me. I also have neuropathy in my feet. Didn't know this till last summer coming out of pool My feet were completely purple I was so scared never saw this b4.  Every time even getting my pedicure my feet turn purple. The vibration getting worse. I still have dry eyes and ears. My mouth has thick beige mucus. All blood work negative. My neuro Dr ordered MRI of Lumbar He also started me on Xanax 0.25 mg. He said do nothing for 3 days starting on this no driving or in the kitchen.  Fine with me This is my 3rd day. No change He said he will up gradually  I guess he thinks the vibration will stop with the meds. He thinks he can fix my disc and nerve.  The vibrations will stop who know  Two  Drs said Sjogren's One said Secca the other 2 said every blood work negative not  Sjogren;s Go figure what they are from????

• Posted

Sally I'm going through the same thing as I type this, I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that it is a electronic device that someone is using to harass you or playing a prank on you. It's called a Sonic Nausea Device, you can look it up yourself, it emits high frequency soundwaves that you can feel but most people can't hear. Its made to run off intruders or unwanted guest but also it has been used for playing pranks on individuals or harassing people like a nearby neighbor that you don't like. It supposed to cause Nausea, Imbalance, Paranoia, Headaches (depending on the targeted individuals tolerance). Some people (like myself) hear a high pitch ringing in their ear when effected by this device. The device is somewhere near by like in your wall or something and depending on the type is being used can be remotely operated.

• Posted

Hi Sally 

I have anterior spondylolisthesis which has caused severe spinal stenosis and I have exprience the same symtom as you, amoung other really strange things as well so I was pleased to come across your post because I thought I was going mad

Kind regards Shirley 

• Posted

I have same thin Diagnosis with spinal stenosis really bad I have tried all the  osteopaths. Didn't work When your MRI shows this shows a physical problem. I also don't believe in some electronic thing doing this.  My body is very painful and there is a neuro problem.  I believe in Parkinson or another type of problem.  Sorry just my opinion on all these comments TY

• Posted

Are you expriencing the strange vibration as well? 
    • Posted

Sorry Diane I have just read some of your other posts and yes I've had my hands go purple also some really strange things, my surgeon has told me that my nerves and being pinched as well, one really werid symtom is when I close my eyes when I'm stood up I fall over, which I hadn't realise until my surgen told me to stand up straight and shut my eyes in his office, something to do with the messages going back and for to the brain, so I agree with you and not the person who said about some electronic device. 

• Posted

I'm not buying the electronic device either but I will tell you this.  I was diagnosed with mild degeneration/stenosis of the canal on my C4,5,6 vertebrae back in February.  My initial complaint that sent me to the neuro to begin with was the vibration sensations. I know everyone describes it differently but mine literally feel like a humming under the skin...it's also worse for me when I'm next to anything vibrating...it causes it to flair up.  It was initially happening just in my hands and feet and at times was better but it is now getting worse and moving from my feet to my legs and from my hands to my arms and now my neck.  I've also been getting localized twitching in my left arm (10 days now) that have turned into cramps at times.  I do have mild twitching in other spots but nothing that has been ongoing for days at a time.  I have been to a private practice neuro and received a second opinion from a neuromuscular neurologist.  I have had two nerve conduction tests and one EMG.  Everything came back normal but the EMG was done before the twitching started.  I have had knee pain, elbow pain and other muscular pains but my primary complaint to the neuro has always been the sensations and secondary to that is now the muscle twitching.  The private practice neuro says this is all from the minor degeneration. It's hard for me to accept that answer. Because my symptoms are so widespread.  The next visit he said he was thinking this was more fibro.  He looked at my arm that was twitching and said it was from my neck.  Sent me for more PT.  My PT is not buying it either.  I asked him directly, could this be a motor neuron disease and he said no way, no how.  He emphatically said I needed to get that out of my head. Hard to do when you're having ongoing localized twitching as well as other strange neurological conditions.  My neuromuscular doctor said they didn't want to see me back until I completed my MRI with contrast and had my small fiber neuropathy test done. Those occur on May 10 and May 30th. But I don't care what they say...I made an appointment for tomorrow and want to talk to someone about the results of my bloodwork they sent to the Mayo Clinic because they're back and have not been reviewed yet.  I also want to ask them why they're not going forward with a spinal tap.  My understanding is that there can be things seen in the spinal fluid that cannot be found anywhere else.  So regardless of whether they think it's important or not, I need to talk to them before my next appointment on 6/15.  I have heard that Fibromyalgia can cause a whole array of symptoms but it just seems so odd...so hopefully I can get some answers soon.

• Posted

I'm getting really bad muscle spams and twitching along with cramps as well, I also have degenerated discs disease. My family and myself thought I had MS because I was getting all the same symtoms but its because of the nerves being pinched that causes all the same similarities. When my condition started I had a very low vit d so please let me if your bloods show that too. Hope all goes well 

• Posted

Hi Shirley, interesting to hear that you’re experiencing the same buzzing/vibrating/trembling sensations. Do you have a grade for your anteriorlisthesis? My lumbar L5/S1 is grade 1-2 and C4/5 is grade 1. My MRI didn’t show any spinal stenosis so far. My neuro didn’t associate my strange sensations with my spinal issues, but he was looking for evidence of MS. I get these vibrating sensations mainly in bed at night. I have occasionally had them in the day but not often. It seems to be when I’ve been lying still for a while and then move a part of my body because the vibration will be felt in the muscles involved. In the chest area it can happen spontaneously. I often wake up with numb fingers too, but they usually return to normal after less than a minute if I move my arms. 
    • Posted

Forgot to say that I also had low Vitamin D levels and now supplement it.
    • Posted

Hi Sally how werid you have a low vit d as well. I aslo get numb hands and feet. When my vit d was really low that's when I was getting the vibrating bad when laying down like you. I still have it now and again. Have you ever had a tight band around your middle? My spondolisthes is grade 2 L5/l4 but I have a bilateral severe foraminal stenosis also a herniated dis. I have to have more scans because my surgeon said he neads to take some standing xrays as I've only had them laying down to access the grade and see if it's stable or unstable. I am on the waiting list to have surgery if symtoms do not get better with rest and physio. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.