Stuttering or possible meningitis with mono?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm trying to stop freaking out in the forums so much, but this time I really feel like I should ask since the doctor's office isn't open on the weekend. My neck has hurt and been really stiff for two days now. I haven't had others symptoms of Meningitis (apart from a headache yesterday but it went away), but I've stuttered a few times today which I've never done before and it really worries me because I haven't seen anyone else mention this with Mono, but I have seen that Mono can cause Meningitis. Has anyone stuttered from Mono or ended up with Meningitis while having Mono?

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ciela,

Stuttering was actually one of my earlier symptoms when I was at my worst. Very scary but it did go away completely. I also suspected meningitis due to many very similar symptoms. I had a lumbar puncture as well as an MRI - both were completely clear!

• Posted

Hey Isabelle, it is nice to see a post from you really hoping you are doing better and things are stable and making good progess with your recovery. Still remembering all the time and kindness you took to encourage and very grateful for that.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you, I am doing much better! Not completely back to full health but genuinely hopeful that I will get there eventually. I haven't had a crash in two months which feels pretty incredible to be honest. Now I am trying to get rid of some milder lingering symptoms and hopefully after that I might work up the courage to do some light exercise. I am not trying to rush it though. I am happy letting it take its time. As long as I am getting just a little bit better each month, it doesn't matter if full recovery happens next month or in another year. The body is ready when it's ready. How are you feeling nowadays?

• Posted

thats great news isabelle its such a slow moving virus ... i wish we could just wake up and it be gone !

you must be feeling better if you are already thinking about exercising. im missing my workouts like crazy its been 2 months but trying to follow protocol and rest rest rest ....sooooo boring.

• Posted

Resting is definitely the best thing you can do for recovery. I missed exercising so much during the course of this illness that as soon as I got a little better I would try to do some light exercise or brisk walking and I would relapse right back every single time. It is only these last couple of months that I have COMPLETELY rested that I have started to heal in a more stable manner. Hang in there Lori and continue to rest both body mind and body!

• Posted

i am .... i do a short walk late afternoon but none of the hardcore stuff i was doing .running weights you name it ... i did it.

i wonder how long until we can get back to it ?

• Posted

Hi Isabelle,

So pleased to hear that things have been progressing for you, you most definitely will get there to a stage where you feel fully recovered again - you're approach is very wise indeed just taking things each day and allowing the recovery to come and remembering you will get there and that it is often just a very normal and natural process for your body to strengthen and recover over a period of time after such a battering with this virus! It was how I felt at that stage too Isabelle just grateful to be feeling a bit better and just doing what I could to be be sensible still and allow my body the time and space to get its strength back, thanks to God only managed to get there - and absolutely I truly believe things will continue to improve and get better for you and you will be able to do exercise and all the good things that bring joy into your life again!

God has been helping me too Isabelle, I've had a tough year lots of things being going on and still a way to go, there have been ups and downs and need God's hand to guide me every day but hoping that with His help can get there too and that can be healthy and living a good and positive way of life again. Thanks for your kind words Isabelle and sending you hugs and best wishes, do keep in touch.

Craig

• Posted

You are doing amazing and showing great courage to do your walking at the moment Lori - it's hard and frustrating I know when you enjoy more rigorous exercise, but that will come back to you with time, remember not to push things too soon with that and just keep trusting God and He will get you there!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Isabelle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It really reassures me to see that this isn't as uncommon as I had thought it was. I'm glad to hear both of your tests were clear!

• Posted

thank you craig ! yes i miss my workouts so much ...i looked forward to them all day and is great for the mind . walking will have to do for now .... its very pretty here though so lots of things to see birds whales seals otters... and the sound of crashing waves is so therapeutic .

• Posted

Yes I do empathise with that Lori as someone who used to run a lot and hasn't been able to or had the confidence to in the last few years for one reason or another, but very grateful too for walking and mobility means everything grateful to God for that and praying He can protect our walking always and always allow us to get out and about. That sounds very pretty the nature where you live Lori, feed off that keep going to those places and breath in, nature can help so much with recovery - when you're there think of it as a place of sanctuary and recovery.

Craig

• Posted

yes thats so true about exercise boosting your confidence .... it sure did mine but im trying to think this is only temporary and ill be back running soon . i think we know when the time is right ... our bodies will let us know and if we make a mistake and its not the right time then we have to suffer and rest once more

• Posted

Yes I do hope so much you will be back running soon Lori, don't give up, sometimes I feel kind of defeated in that respect but would still love to again one day. Will leave it in God's hands. Just be wary and don't do too much too soon, definitely make sure you have an extended settled period before trying any strenuous exercise and even then build it up gradually. But for now just focus on one day at a time, breath that fresh air, enjoy nature and remember you will get there with time!

Craig

• Posted

yes id say a month of 'feeling well' before i do anything as in exercise travel etc. hope that day comes soon .

• Posted

Definitely Lori or even longer! Always err on the side of caution during recovery of this thing, and even if your body feels good just be wise and don't push it too much too soon!

Craig

• Posted

Hi isabelle,

May I ask how many months since you first started having mono symptoms. The fact that you have had 2 months without a crash is great to hear. I am dreaming of such progress too. So far I would say that the longest I have gone without a mini crash is about a week. The crashes definitely are shorter these days though.

• Posted

thats great kay its certainly a slow moving virus and at least youre having some good days ! i dont realy get ant full good days maybe an hour or two at night but very infequent. hoping we ALL get better soon .. we have to beat this !

• Posted

I find as long as I get a decent night sleep and don't get too stressed at work or in personal life, I tend to avoid crashes. Unfortunately I would say every week I have at lease 1 bad night sleep.

I also notice that certain foods seems to be triggers.

• Posted

Agreeing fully with that Lori hoping that we ALL get better soon - you and Kay and others on the site have been a great support and tower of strength with kind words and advice here and there this last period and I'm grateful for that. I'm still trusting that God has got the bigger picture with everything that's going on for us and is not going to let us out of His grasp and bring us to the place He wants us to be. Hoping for a good day for you today!

Craig

• Posted

That's a good point Kay about certain foods being triggers too. Finding a good and healthy diet / supplements that helps makes a real difference. Not easy at all but avoiding caffeine and sugar and things like that of course is good, this comes from me who loves chocolate and sweet things, I could do a whole lot better in this respect!

Craig

• Posted

😃 you say that as I am here drinking a cup of coffee 😃

It's true though, coffee is definitely a trigger for me sometimes but some mornings I do need that pick me up. I probably have one coffee a week.

Cakes/desserts, gluten and dairy also I find are triggers

• Posted

It's not at all easy to cut those kind of things out Kay that's for sure, I don't drink tea or coffee but fizzy drinks and particularly pepsi was my vice for a long time and drank way too much of it. Trying to cut that out now - remember you don't have to completely wrap yourself in cotton wool or take on an unrealistic challenge of eating like a perfect person, treats are allowed, just about being wise and cutting down and eating healthy things too of course! Superfoods like blackberries, blueberries, pommegranite, that kind of thing I used to eat a lot during recovery from mono I remember, seems to have some real value!

Craig

• Posted

My typical breakfast is a fruit and veg smoothie and one boiled egg and a mug of green tea. Usually my smoothie contains spinach or kale, sometimes beetroot, always a banana and almond milk and either blueberries, strawberries or raspberries and some flaxseeds. I also put my kiki's greens and my d-ribose in my smoothie.

My routine over the past few weeks is that I try and remain gluten free and keep it as clean as possible Monday to Thursday and then Friday to Sunday I live a little.

• Posted

yes! i had them daily too ...with avocado but reas that ebv feeds off them

• Posted

oh dear 😦

i guess i will have to find another breakfast option.

• Posted

Your diet sounds very healthy Kay - I will need to take a leaf out of your book I think! I do try to eat an apple and banana each day but certainly could introduce more fruit and less rubbish!

Craig

• Posted

I try to stay as healthy as possible as I do feel better when I do.

I had a bacon and egg sarnie from pret this morning so have bn a bit naughty today. But it is friday 😃

• Posted

You're allowed to be naughty sometimes Kay, will let you off this time 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.