Suggestions greatly received

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I had been sober for 17 months until my holiday in August last year, I tried just 1 drink & all fun times came back to me. Although I have since August controlled my drinking to maybe a glass or 2 every weekend more recently it is getting more & more regular & I can feel old habits creeping back in. I have made the decision to quit again but could do with some ideas of what to do when the cravings kick in :-)

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am the same i go for quite a long time, then have one drink and old habits kick in too so I would like some advice too, so glad you have posted this. tho' got some good advice on another discussion earlier from JoannaC3Europe who is now a counsellor for people like us and also a video link about ADE which I am going to watch later. This is the link to the discussion, but not been on here long so don't know if will take you to the page, which is called Excellent News  - try having a look there and I will see if anybody gives us some more advice here. x https://patient.info/forums/discuss/excellent-news-519114?page=0#2174955
  • Posted

Hi Caroline - being very blunt here.  Quit now before it gets out of control!  I stopped drinking in 2002 for 11 years.  Almost 4 years ago I started again.  It began as just drinking when I went out with friends, then to weekends, to only on nights I didn't work the next day, to only 2 beer a day, 3 beer a day, and it just kept escalating.  Took 3 years to hit full blown back to where I was 14 years ago.

I've been spending the past year trying to quit with relapse after relapse.  Trying to cut down, to trying medications to help with the withdrawals and the cravings.

If you are true alcoholic please just stop now before the insanity sets in!

I've been going to outpatient counseling.  I'm 5 days sober (again) and each time I pray this is the time I quit.

I'm sure the people on this forum will have better advice on how to quit.  But, please don't wait until you have absolutely no control over it.

Blessings!!!!!!

• Posted

It is so hard Kelly but I love what you are saying - I hope this time is your time especially after being sober for 14 years, you go girl xxx
    • Posted

Well done on your 5 days that's fab x and yes I fully agree & blunt is best so thank you x
    • Posted

I was sober 11 years.  I just meant I felt myself falling into the place I was 14 years ago.  It is hard.  I'm there.  I hate it.  I wish someone would have reminded me of how it slowly creeps up on you.  I waited too long and now it's more difficult.  Each relapse gets worse.  

• Posted

I don't need congratuled on 5 days.  I've been at 2 weeks clean many times.  Like I just said to Kathy, each relapse gets more difficult.  I pray for you to find a way to get ahold of it now before it spirals out of control.  That is where I feel I am.  My daughter said something to me on Saturday night that has made me stronger.  She's 27 years old and her boyfriend is an alcoholic.  She said "mom, I'm tired of coming 2nd to alcohol!"  I cried for hours and realized I probably did that to her years ago and if I don't stop now I"m going to put her through it all over again. Tough insane cycle.  I hope you get good feedback from the forum!
    • Posted

Hang in there Kelly, I think you're pointed in the right direction and your doc will help you along the way. Is it much longer till you can get in to see her? 
    • Posted

I feel stronger this time Ade.  I had a really good cry the other night.  Long story.  But, if I made it through Saturday night I believe there's a little hope for me.  I've made arrangements to go horse back riding and I'm going to look into joining the gym.  I"ve realized sometimes I have to rely on me and stop having this pity party where everyone needs to support me.   Yes, I have a great support system but they can't keep me sober.  Only I can.

I see my doctor a week from tomorrow.  I'm taking the baclofen in low doses til then.  They've helped with the cravings but yesterday I only took 10 mg.  Clarity is kicking in and I've made plans with my daughter over the 4th of July that don't include drinking.  So, my mind feels like I need to stay sober until then.  Maybe after that I'll make more plans that entail me to keep clean.  Seems to be working as long as I keep up with it.  I feel I spent enough money on alcohol that I might as well spend it on something worth while, lol.

• Posted

The kids no matter their age always have a way of hitting the point home
    • Posted

This sounds good, Kelly! Please keep us up on how it's going.
    • Posted

You're 100% correct!  I think I started drinking again because my kids were out of school and I didn't feel needed as much as when they were in school.  My kids were busy and involved in everything which kept me busy.  I didn't think that my kids still needed me at 24 & 27 years old. 

I don't know your entire story but as long as YOU are concerned about yourself then that's the first step in making changes.  I really hope you can do that sooner than later.

• Posted

Hi Caroline. Kelly said it all!! Not blunt as she showed but honest...like myself I stopped and do NOT trust myself just to have a drink now and then after 3 1/2 yrs sober...try to stop....best of luck!! Robin
    • Posted

I trusted myself after 11 years.  I will NEVER do that again!  I believe relapse is part of recovery.  I had to explain that to my family when I decided to drink again.  I've learned my lesson and I pray to gain enough strength to get through this insane cycle.  

Congrats on being sober for so long.  <3 >

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.