Supplements and Menopause

Posted , 12 users are following.

Does anyone take supplements to help with Menopause? Which ones do you take and how has it helped?

i take Magnesium which has really helped with my sleep. I also take ubiquinol zinc and Vitamin B. I've tried Black Cohosh and Ginseng not sure if they have had any effect at all.

i do an hour of workout everyday but of late finding myself tired. I'm taking a multi vitamin with extra iron but still get out of breath sooner. I just completed a half marathon in November but I just can't seem to get the energy to train for another.

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow.. congrats on the marathon!!A few years ago, I was doing the treadmill, elliptical and weights THEN I got lazy and gained a few pounds so I went to water classes for aches and pains. Just last week I started again on the treadmill/elliptical and lite weights. I need to do this so I'm pushing myself just a bit. I believe the more I do, the better I feel OR I'm telling myself that anyways. This summer I want to get my bike out as last summer I had no energy. I take many supplements and believe they do help. In the fall I felt exhausted and tired all the time- not wanting to do anything. Now, I do get tired but I'm doing more which is good. A good multi, Vit D with K, fish oil, calcium/mag, Coq10. At night I take extra magnesium and a few times a week an iron pill.

• Posted

I am so totally lacking in energy, I struggle just to get up in the morning. But I have to because I have 4 school age children (I had children late in life) - if it wasn't for them I'd probably stay in bed all day. I have to resist the temptation to lay down for a rest because I know I will fall asleep for a few hours. I know other women who are experiencing the same. Seriously, Mee, if you are managing to work out every day, you doing are doing well and menopause is being kind to you!

• Posted

Hi jules

Phew, 4 kids at school age is tough at any time in your life. It would be plenty to wear out a 20 year old. Not sure how kind menopause is to anyone, the fact that we are all on a forum shows it isnt😊 I just think that we are all very different, and meno limits us in unique ways. Some people force themselves to do the things that help even when it seems impossible but there's no right or wrong way, whatever gets everyone through. It does sound like you deserve a daytime nap though jules 😊 xx

• Posted

Yes - the terrible teens! Not a great time of life for females either. Sometimes I think my girls are struggling more with their hormones and emotions than I did during perimenopause! Thanks for your concern but I think the worst days are over and I am coming out the other side of it, I still have days of extreme exhaustion, but they are getting fewer. Nearly one year since my last period, so maybe it will be all over and done with soon 🀞. I know that I may have been a bit .... flippant (?) with Mee, but I am sure that you can understand why her post must read like boasting to someone in my position. Oh to have the time to work out, let alone the energy!

• Posted

I have 2 teen boys and they do wear me out for sure. I think it's my aniexty that is making me tired cuz I have to keep up with them. My period is due and I was a raging monster to them about turning their phones off yesterday and now I'm paying for it.

• Edited

I understand jules, I think it can be frustrating for all of us, all suffering in one way or another. I see some posts and wish I had that problem lol! Can't imagine managing to keep trucking for 4 kids, I have 1 and sometimes that's a challenge πŸ˜‚ I think the thing we all have in common is that we meet on this forum because at points we need support from it. Some of us have issues which seem big to us a but not to others and that's what makes us all special in our own way xx

• Posted

Was that message meant for me? I am trying to be understanding. But Mee's posts get me upset and angry. I mean she says how she lacks energy but also says she works out every day. In another post she says she is depressed but also lists all the things she is doing in her life and that, just by the way, she looks 30. Way to make the rest of us feel pathetic and useless. What is her agenda? I get the asking for advice but why the boasting too. Perhaps that is just a way to make herself feel better.

• Posted

I get what you mean. But, like Sassy is saying, we are all different and we experience meno in our own individual ways and have different ways of coping. Even people who have very similar clinical symptoms will have different perceptions of what they are going through and different ways of coping - this is to do with individual difference, but the culture the woman lives in can play a part (I posted about this).

• Edited

Hey jules

It was meant for you but certainly wasn't to make matters worse! Just wanted to acknowledge your feelings on it and share my thinking on it. Like I said, there's no right and wrong way of doing this, we are all different. Just think that it depends where you are in your own journey when it comes to how you read into others. I always sound like I'm positive, and active, and perky because that's how I try to be. Do I look 93 but am 43 yes, have I got ovarian failure, osteoporosis, ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, a stoma, graves disease, and arthritis yes. Do we get to understand the whole person on here? Probably not xx

• Posted

Thanks Sassy and Suki. I know .... it's just sometimes .... well, you know .... πŸ˜ƒ Anyway, I think the worst is over for me, so here's to looking to the future.

• Posted

Sorry, I mean, thanks Sassy from Suki. for all you positivity. I benefit from it. And like I said, I think the worst is over for me. I've started walking now!

• Posted

Thanks Sassy, you are very understanding. I must seem so mean spirited. I should try walking like Suki - a bit of 'me time'. Whatever that is! Like Suki, I think my menopause is coming to an end, touch wood. I guess the thing to remember is that it is not forever more.

• Posted

LOL, brain fog! Suki is actually my cat's name and I was talking to her at the same time. Of course, I am thankful to her too for all her support ...... !

• Posted

Hey girls,

No need for thanks at all, we're in this together 😊

Jules, bit of walking makes a huge difference for me. Time to put yourself first xxx

• Posted

I may have spoken too soon ....... sod's law! I have had painful, tender and swollen boobs for about a month (like before a period), but nothing came of it and the pain has now gone, so i put it down to another meno thing. But about 30mins ago a feeling like period cramps started. But no blood ... yet. Oh, what fresh hell is this? LOL

• Posted

Ooops. Just realized our conversation is on Mee's post. I hope she is as understanding as you, Sassy!

• Posted

Hi all,

I've got school age children too, one still at primary... I kind of wish now I'd had them younger in life knowing how I feel and have felt for the past 5 yrs!! That said, I'm blessed to have them too.

Two weeks ago I ripped my HRT patch off after 18 months of trying different regimes with it and I really think I feel a bit better for it so far... but I also started taking vit d, magnesium, evening primrose and b vits plus a multivitamin tablet... so it could be that? Something is different though as I feel more positive and (dare I say it) a little less tired? I say it with caution as i dread it all coning back big time...

we'll see. πŸ˜•

AJ xx

ps I also bought an eliptical machine for my birthday, I seriously can only last around 15 mins tops on it at the mo but at least it's something!!! Baby steps for me!!!

• Posted

So funny suki. I have 1 son named Ross, but these days with brain fog I've taken to calling him Roy or Ron?! He's 11 😊He just kind of goes with it now. My thanks to Suki too for all of her support πŸ˜‚ xx

• Posted

I'm sure she will be Jules. A lady once implied that I'd bought lubricant from an unsavoury website (like I'm just plain kinky) and I forgave her almost immediately..... Well within an hour... Or about a day later πŸ˜‚ forgiveness is a beautiful thing, as is lubricant bought from the high street πŸ™„ and not at all in a weird way! Xx

• Posted

yes, and listen to uplifting music and dance! Currently I am in the kitchen dance-cooking to "It's good to alive right about now"!

• Posted

Recently I started calling my daughter by son's name .... what the?!?!?!? She is not pleased about that! Suki (the cat) provides me with a great excuse not to do anything ... "sorry, can't do it, Suki is on my lap". She isn't a good encouragement to go for a walk, tho.

• Posted

Yes, seemed like a good idea at the time, to put one's career first and have kids later in life. Didn't know about double dependency (looking after kids and elderly parents) and gave no thought to the fact that meno would come along at the same time too! To be fair, no one warned me what an impact meno would have - my mum and aunts all had HRT.

• Posted

... and did HRT work for your mum and aunts??

My mother had it and transformed into Wonder Woman for nearly 15yrs... so I feel quite cheated that it left me flat and had no beneficial effect whatsoever and then gave such bad side effects! I felt totally liberated ripping that patch off two weeks ago! I only decided to do it last minute as I felt dreadful and then found a lump in my breast which freaked me out big time... the lump has since reduced somewhat and a practice nurse said she thought it was hormonal fatty tissue but i decided that was it - goodbye HRT - for now.

AJ. x

ps I have an elderly mother in law too that I help out. She's lovely though. πŸ˜ƒ

• Posted

They weren't even aware they were going through meno - they were put on it before meno started, at a particular age. One aunt was aware of it starting because she had early meno in her 30's, and it was absolutely horrendous for her but HRT was her miracle cure - her husband called it her happy pills.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.