surviving menopause without hrt. anyone out there:(

Posted , 11 users are following.

Please help I'm desperate! !!!

Ive been in perimenopause eight years and I dont feel like iI can cope anymore. Im already in a low dose AD. I dont want to go on hrt but I don't feel I can carry on without it. Please if there are any ladies out there that have survived perimenopause or menopause severe symptoms without hrt please please let me knowsad

1 like, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi ive been taking a tablet called fx complete have to say it controls my hot flushes moods and bloated tummy very well. I don't suffer mood swings but have had sore nipples swollen boobs...swollen tummy pregnancy symptoms all before taking these tablets I'm also taking biotin which is a vitamin b based tablet for my thinning hair. these have worked for me.

when they run out I've bought a big jar of soya based tablets to try from holland and Barratt . I really do not want the artificial hormones as feel they delay it. I've tried them and my symptoms did get better but once off ...it came back with a bang. you have to go through it so I feel you may as well go with your body. my body has chosen now so I'm going to let it do its bit. the heavy or missed periods are all a part of it I'm afraid.

• Posted

Hi Caroline, excuse me butting in but I take Biotin too - you're right it does help stop hair falling out, for me it's a miracle - I thought I was going bald it was falling out so much, used to absoloutly dread washing my hair. It was H and B that recommended them to me - please can you tell me about the ' soya based tablets' you take, what are they for and what they are called ? I take vit E, Osteocare, Vit B slow release and meta tone aswell, Uugghh anything to help. Can't take menopace though as it contains iodine and I'm on thyroxine xx
    • Posted

soya contains plant hormones which are similar to ours they act like the hormones the Dr gives you. I don't mind you butting in its what we are here for ....I find this whole thing very helpful I now realise that I may have been going through this for 4 years without realising the mood swings sore nipples dry thinning hair stupid heavy periods hot flushes foggy concentration are all symptoms. I thought I was seriously ill 😂 I realise now every women is going through this. I just haven't been myself this last 2 years ....I've been absolutely knackered
  • Posted

Just want to say a big thank you to all you lovely ladies for replying to my post. It helps so much to be able to vent get ideas and also have someone who knows exactly what im going through.

Praying you all have a peaceful night x

• Posted

Just want to say a big thank you to all you lovely ladies for replying to my post. It helps so much to be able to vent get ideas and also have someone who knows exactly what im going through.

Praying you all have a peaceful night x

• Posted

Hi Michelle I am in menopause right now.  Not taking hormone replacement due to bad kidneys so I am stuck with whatever may come.  I had the hotflashes first.  And the mood swings.  I actually broke down in the doctors office just thinking about emotions.  How embarrassing. Then for some reason they went away for a few months and then came back worse. THe hot flashes were hotter and nasuea came along for the ride.  And insomnia to go along with that.  I found my own ways to cope with each the best I can.  I also think sometimes I can't get along without HRT but I can't take them.  I did gain control of my emotional rollercoaster for the most part.  No major crying jags. LOL  Hot flashes if I catch them and drink a couple large gulps of ice water it cools down quicker.  Then a fan close by and freezer pops help.  Insomnia is still looming and nasuea still there. If I sit for a while the nasuea settles.  I guess stay positive if you can it will go away eventually.  You will survive.  HRT is dangerous.  My doctor still says she wouldn't recoment it.  I hope it settle for you soon.  Since you have been in it so long it should start to settle soon.  Stay COOL.cheesygrin
  • Posted

I thought i had a mild stroke a month ago late at night but woke up the following morning normal. I have had pins and needle in my left hand ( i do  a lot of sewing ) but nothing became of that but comes and goes.

I was taking one red clover tablet 1,000mg every day for the hot flushes and it did work but i have had to increase to 2 tablets because the flashes came back with vengeance .. I sometimes get a fuzzy head feeling when i wake up in the morning and within 2 hours of waking feel really tired but by midday it has passed... So many things going on but these come and go and thank god are not permanent.

• Posted

I had the same feeling of having a stroke in a dieticians office.  Couldn't get a whole sentence out when I was speaking.  Couldn't think clearly.  I thought I was going a little nuts.  I went out to my car and did the whole try to smile, lift your arm above you head tricks to see if I had a stroke.  Nope everything went back to normal.  It was kind of creepy.  The perils we as woman have to go through.  I also have the tiredness a few hours after waking.  I have never been a nap person.  But the tireness really hits me sometimes. 
  • Posted

Hi michelle

i understand how you feel. Antidepressants did not help me at all and i have had menopause really severe,moody, yelling, not sleeping well at times, crying, anxiety ridden, heart rate racing, blood pressure up at times, nose bleeds, left nostril only, digestive issues, cramping, palpitations, just wanting to be to myself.

I had to stop my paxil which was at a small dose 5mg it use to be at 10mg but i started having insomnia, cramping and a lot of digestive disorder with Paxil and other SSRIs also had to stop the trazodone last week it threw offf my heart beat and i had palpitations for a couple of days with heart pounding, my psych wants me to get off the ativan and try atarax for anxieties i have had trouble with benadryl and atarx works like benadryl so why would i want that and ativan lowers my anxieties, 

I am thinking about HRTs myself again but antidepressant just does not help me it either raises my blood pressure or my heart rate and i can not put up with the stomach issues that antidepressants give me. 

I am in the same boat you are in stuck with not knowing what will work for us and i have been in tears myself about this because i just don't know what to take anymore for a good nights sleep just been crying a lot and then i keep my boyfriend up when i can't sleep and then we argue because i am angry with myself for not knowing what to do when i have done all the steps with relaxation, turning off the T.V taking a relaxing bath it just irritates me when nothing works cryfrown

• Posted

You need your sleep.  I would go to the doctor and ask for a medication to help you sleep.  I take trazadone.  I understand by my doctor that you will not become addicted to it.  Coming on these message boards are fine but medical advice should come from your doctor.   Keep trying different meds and seek help from professionals.  In the USA things that are not FDA approved I'm leary of.  Using natural supplements should be guided by your doctor.  This is a hard road but we will get through it.
    • Posted

I was on trazodone it threw of my heart rythem it raise blood pressure just like paxil just can't take these meds 
    • Posted

Try something else or go on a really low dose.  I hate hearing women suffer, try and get some relief.  This is not your fault.  
    • Posted

I know I did get a little bit of sleep last night. My sister says ginger tea can help you sleep so i am trying that and i had some benadryl last night but i was in pain with my both my feet the heal spur on my right foot and the ball of the foot on my left foot . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.