sweating on venlafaxine

Posted , 33 users are following.

Does anyone seem to sweat more on venlafaxine. I know it is a side effect but how common is it

2 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all, I've been on Effexor for 2 years on 100mg and I sweat almost every night and the side effects of not taking it are horrible. Some nights I'm Inbetween houses and forget to take it the next day I have head aches all day, I'm sweating throughout the day, dizziness etc. Effexor did help me battle through depression but it seems my body doesn't want me to stop it! I've tried twice to cut down dosage and then stop taking whining off it throughout 3 weeks and I couldn't go four days without it as I had constant side effects
  • Posted

Oh my gosh! I could not stop sweating on venlafaxine! My Dr put me on it to help with menopause and hot flushes. Are you kidding me? The sweating never seemed to stop not to mention a quick 30 lbs that I gained. I decided to stop taking it and the side effects were horrendous. Read lots of forums where people said was impossible to stop. It's not impossible - it is a very slow process, so be patient. It took me almost a year to wean off. The best way to keep track is using a calender so you can see each day how much to take. I've been off Venlafaxine for 3 years now!
    • Posted

for years and years.....I thought I had something else wrong with me never thinking it was from side effects from ven....and like you say the weight gain was just awful.....I've been totally off it for three weeks, and I lost 14 pounds without trying !! Woooopie....few more will be even easier I suspect. The fog I had has lifted....I am no longer numb and over tolerant of bad behaviour.....why were doctors not talking to patients more about this drug or prescribing it less? The answer is one I hate to believe...tho I think I know the score. Shame on doctors and big Pharmacys  not caring about man kind.....

• Posted

I've been on Venlafaxine for 12 years and for me it was an instant miracle drug and am now up to 225 mg.  There are nasty side effects.  My sweating from the stuff isnt mild or severe, It is so extreme that it has nearly killed me twice from dehydration.  I didnt know at the time waht was causing this problem and I was cave exploring in a situation where dehydration came on and I was unable to function.  Fortunately, I was able to get out under my own power.  Because of this side effect, I am no longer able to do any real caving.

I live in Florida and it is hot most of the year and I am no longer able to do many things I used to do because of the extreme sweating.  My wife and kids have my instructions to force me to drink water or gatoraide every 20 minutes to avoid trouble. when we are doing outside activities.  This dehydration has caused me to give up single handed sailing because it is too dangerous.

I am no longer able to do many things i used to enjoy due to the extreme sweating and in some social situatiuons it can be a problem.

When I was much younger, before depression, I had Malaria.  The night sweating from the Vanlafaxine is about 1/3 as bad as a mild episode of malaria.

My wife doesnt understand how uncomfortable walking the dogs is for me in Summer as I POUR out sweat so my clothing is soaked in a few minutes.

In spite of this bizarre side effect and the othrs, I am sticking with Effexor because it works so well for me (yes, that sounds crazy) and at age 60, the other side effects are not so important.

My daughter also tried effexor and had the same symptom and she is now using Welbutrin.

So, if Venlafaxine makes you sweat a little bit, consider the bright side, it could be a lot worse.

• Posted

I thought I was the only one!  I am on 225 mg of Venlafaxine and have been for 14 years.  I too sweat like crazy..It is awful....I live in Florida and it is unbearable.  I have told my doctor and they think it is due to menopause.  After reading the Patient Website, I now know it is the Venlafaxine....I want to go off of it due to the sweating, but....I have heard that the withdrawal symptoms are just horrible.  So I am afraid to taper off...Everyone who tries to go off suffers terribly.. I really cannot stand the sweating any longer though. I cannot even wear a blouse with long sleeves.  People look at my like I am crazy because I am sweating when everyone else is cold.  I have to keep my A/C on 67 degrees...
  • Posted

I sweat terribly!  It is extremely uncomfortable and I hate it...But I am afraid to go off of the Venlafaxine because I have heard the withdrawal is just horrible!!!
    • Posted

The hot sweats not to mention an extra 30 pounds were a nightmare. You have to wean off extremely slow. Every 2 weeks, cut you dosage down by a quarter of a tablet (no more). When you are down to the last quarter of a tablet per day, begin taking it every other day. It took me around 10 months to wean off, but it was worth it. Good luck!
  • Posted

I have severe night sweats every night. They're horrible. It's to the point where I'm thinking of getting off of it bc the night sweats are just too much.

• Posted

Yes I have had night sweats for the 2-3 years I have been taking venlafaxine. My pjs/bedding are literally saturated in morning and when you think about personal hygiene it's not good.

One of reasons I have decided to start coming of my 150mg dose. Decided with my GP to cut down to 75mg over 6 weeks then go back and start reducing to stopping.

• Posted

Hi Mike have read all the talk about ven i two take 250mg a day i live in oz so with the heat over here i never stop sweting i take a towel every where i go im sick of it . but cant stop taking it becauce of side affects trying to come of it . Now one thing i would like to no has anyone found any thing that helps with the misery of the sweats thank you pommyjim
    • Posted

No, I have found NO solution to the miserable sweating.  I am in Oklahoma and summers here are miserable to make it worse.
  • Posted

I've been on venlafaxine in various dosages since 1995.  I've been on about every antidepressant in the book, and this is the only one that ever worked.  The only side effect I've ever had was dry mouth, which was annoying enough.  No sweating.  For a while at first I was on 450mg/day, which is more than the recommended maximum dosage, and because of this I have constant tinnitus.  Otherwise, I consider it a miracle drug.  I now take 150 mg twice a day; extended release variety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.