TAHBSO

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 49 yrs old and on 7th April I'm due "The works." I have two fibroids one about 8cm the other not far behind and have suffered with painful, heavy, prolonged periods for who knows how long.

One problem I have is I'm not sure I want or need my ovaries removed.

The consultant said they'd take them in case there was ever a problem further down the line but is it really necessary? I've read that going through surgical menopause is worse than going through it naturally. A friend said I'm probably going through it anyway (if I am, I have no symptoms) but that doesn't mean I want to be launched into it in this way; especially having to deal with everything else after the operation. I also read, with surgical menopause, there's more chance of developing heart disease and cognitive disorders such as dementia.

I'm due at the hospital on 14th March for another injection, can't remember what it's called but it's to shrink the fibroids before the operation. I Don't know if I'll be seeing the consultant again then or just a nurse; can't see them wasting a consultant's time on an injection, I dunno confused

If I don't see the consultant does anyone know when I will? Sorry, I've never been through a major operation before so not sure what to expect or how things work.

I'm also not sure how I feel. In fact I don't seem to feel anything, it's as if life is just going on as normal but that doesn't feel right. This may sound silly but I'm more bothered that I don't feel anything than I do at the prospect of the operation itself. I'm concerned that it will hit me hard either just before or after the operation. I think I'm just weird, pity that can't be fixed along with my fibroids. 😣

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated..

So, sorry for the essay eek

Many thanks,

Esmay x

1 like, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi, i had te full operation 17 days ago, I opted for the full removel as advised by my GP. There is a family history of cancer as well and ive had laser treatment twice for bad smears. Ive jsut turned 50, I had a large fribriod and 3 pals, and had been on esmya for a year to help shrink the fribroid, it didnt as it turns out. Within days of the op I had a few hot moments but nothing thats worring me and they dont seem to be getting any worse. While i was in hospital there was alady in that had a growth on her overiers removed and it had attached to her spleen as well, she'd had a part hysterchatomy a few years ago and told me she now wishs she gone the whole way, and she wouldnt have had the issues she was dealing with now. My GPs theory was to do with my age, and at least going the whole way we knew what we were dealing with. So far I'm feeling good.  

• Posted

Hi Irish, I'm glad you're doing good after your operation, I hope I'm as lucky.

As I've already said I'm not that bothered about the operation, it's the aftermath - dramatic? Probably, lol rolleyes I do tend to worry and though I know it'll be best all round, under the circumstances, I'm scared I'll end up regretting the removal of my ovaries.

Thinking about it, it's better to regret it with hot flashes and whatever else menopause has to offer than, well, leaving them in and other stuff happening. And of course I can have help with the symptoms of menopause, something is bound to work cheesygrin positive thinking, that's what I need; having said that I'll be back to worrying tomorrow, I'm just going round and round in circles. Wish it was all over so I can deal with the consequences instead of making stuff up in my head.

x

• Posted

Hi Irishwales,

Just wondered how you were fairing, now that you're a little further down the line. Mine was cancelled cry due to there being no anaesthetist so not getting "done" until 21st April. sad

Still, there's nothing I can do about it and I'm not the only one disappointed - understatement eek At first it was looking like I might have to wait at least a month but the Dr said due to my Prostap injections I shouldn't wait too long so I guess I'm luckier than some might be.

To console myself we're off to spend a week at the caravan over Easter, which we should have been doing anyway before I was having my op. smile

Hope all is good with you x

• Posted

You have the same date as me Esmay! 21st April. I'm worried mine will be cancelled last minute - still waiting for my admission letter though - so that doesn't make me feel so confident! I am having a break at Easter too - take my mind off things!

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

Oh I really do hope they don't cancel on you. At least for me it happened before Easter which gives me the chance to get away for a while.

I will keep everything crossed that both of our operations go through on the 21st. Please have a lovely relaxing break and try not to worry about it. Easier said than done I know.

Take care m'dear x

• Posted

Good luck Esmay, and Glennie. Hope all goes well for you both. We'll be thinking if you, xxx

• Posted

Hi Glennie and Esmay,

Hope both of your surgeries went forward and were successful!  Please be gentle with yourselves and take the time to recover that you need! xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda. Had my surgery today at 11am. Was in theatre for 2 hours - and came round about 1.15pm - feeling not bad at all!!! No sickness and the pain quite bearable! Even got some food at teatime!!!!
    • Posted

That's great!  I'm so glad it wasn't cancelled.  I found that my pain was quite bearable, too.  Do take care of yourself, and take it easy, giving yourself plenty of time to heal!

And, keep in touch!  Others on this site will benefit from your caring and experience! xx

• Posted

To be honest the surgery site is less painful than the back pain i got on a bad day! Thanks for getting in touch.
    • Posted

Did you get sorted today Esmay? Hope so!!! Xxx
    • Posted

You mioght find yourself feeling a bit more pain later on.  But my pain wasn't unbearable.  I used tylenol or advil.  Those worked fine.  

Because your hormones will be off, I suggest that you start a probiotic, that will work in your intestines and uro/genital system to keep your bacteria in balance.  If you decide to use one, make sure that it can survive the trip through your stomach.  This will help with UTI's, too.  xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for the advice! I did a fair bit of research before the op - think that is why I came around so quickly - I also had an amazing anaesthetist - which helps immensely. Had women surgeon working on me too - which I think can be an advantage! I will be back on my high fibre/ well watered and laxido diet asap to get my bowel balanced again. Although post-op I have fpund drinking easy - already gone through 5 water jugs!!!!

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

I'm so glad you're doing so well!  Please keep in touch! xx

• Posted

Hi Glennie

Sorry for the late reply. Everything went we'll with my surgery and felt fine till I was sick over night, just as well I didn't have anything to eat, lol.

Feeling semi okay now, at least better than I expected, though I do have a swelling above my scar which is bigger on one side; weird.

Have you been advised to wear an abdominal binder at all? Or maybe support underwear?

Hope you're recovering well xx

• Posted

Hi Esmay,

Good to know you have had your op and are on the mend. I had a very sore swollen area on my right hand side - ended up on antibiotics for a while. They said it was old blood - I didn't have any drain in post op.

Not using an abdominal binder or support pants - just leggings and big knickers!!!

Did you end up with a big cut? I got a large bikini line cut with dissolving stitches. Was very uncomfortable for the first 10 days - easing off now! Hope you are feeling a bit stronger each day!

• Posted

Haha I bought big knickers. As well as being bigger than I usually wear I got a size up, well I really wasn't sure. So glad I did though and I've just bought another pack but in my right size.

I never thought of leggings. I got a couple of pairs of jogging bottoms but mostly been wearing nighties.

I'm not sure if my cut is big or not, think it's about 7-8 inches, or probably nothing like that, lol. I'm just thankful it was a bikini cut. Looks like those injections I had before surgery shrank those fibroids.

You didn't have a drain? Why was that? I had one until the Saturday evening, was the weirdest feeling when they took it out; like something slithering under my skin, yuck.

I do feel a lot better/stronger but so, so bored. Now that I can't do anything, everything is getting on my nerves, lol. It's okay though I just walk away, well it's the only exercise I get haha.

I hope you continue to heal well. Make sure you and everyone else looks after you.

Hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Esmay!

I have know idea why i had no drain - kind of expected it - but a friend of mine in ICU reckons its to do with infection control.

Did you get sent home with blood thinning injections? I did - that was a bit of a shock. Lucky for me my hubby administered them - I hate needles! I have a numb area around my cut and that is really weird.

Did they remove your ovaries in the end? I had my 1 remaining ovary removed - and within a few days my menopause symptoms came back with vengeance. I have gone back on HRT now - luckily my GP decided I was mobile enough to take again.

Hope you go from strength to strength xx

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

Maybe it depends what hospital you go to, whether or not they put a drain in, funny though.

Yes I was given the blood thinners, had to inject myself before I left the hospital. I was a bit apprehensive at first but it wasn't bad at all. In fact I made less of a mess on my tummy than they did on my arms, more fat I guess lol. I too am numb around my incision but the area isn't as large as it was. Really weird feeling when you know you're touching it but can't feel anything. Get twinges and sharp pains now and again as if someone is sticking a pin in me. Apparently that's just the nerves regenerating (or whatever)

They did take my ovaries, took everything. Have you any idea how long it takes for oestrogen levels to be fully depleted? I was at the doc's today but I got the feeling she couldn't be bothered as she was running late. I was supposed to have a 10 minute appointment but don't think I even had 5. Cheeky mare making up time on my appointment - sorry, mini rant over.

I am having hot flushes but so far they aren't that bad. Bed clothes on off on. Window open then closed, lol. Got the whole king size bed to myself for now as my OH is scared in case he knocks me. I secretly think it's also to do with my fidgeting.

I did say to the doc that I might be back to talk hrt. I'll make sure I get ALL of my appointment time too.

Ooh would you look at that essay, sorry, lol x

• Posted

They don't use a drain most of the time. No point putting one in if Surgeon can see there will be nothing to drain!

• Posted

Drains aren't a hospital policy - it's entirely up to the Surgeon to decide if everything is all tied off and looks good inside before he closes up. If that's the case then there is absolutely no need to put a drain.

• Posted

Hi Esmay,

I was on high dose HRT prior to op and had to stop taking beforehand - so it took about 3 weeks for it to get out of my system - 1 week post-op and all hell broke loose for me. Night sweats so bad I could literally wring my nightie out - and bad heads as I was dehydrated! I was told to get my HRT sorted asap by gynae at the hospital. I had a very unhelpful GP at the surgery who didn't even see me (talked over the phone) and said I could not have HRT until 6 weeks post-op. Went a few more days and managed to get in to see another GP - who checked me over and said I was well enough to go on HRT. It takes 3 weeks to get into your system - although I have noticed a reduction in hot flushes and mood swings already. Just see how you go. I am quite lucky in respect my body is already used to artificial hormones!

Keep well and happy!

• Posted

Hi Robyn

Never having gone through major surgery before I wouldn't know anything about that.

Still, all good in the end ?

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

I'm pleased you managed to get sorted eventually. I'm going to do a little research into hrt just in case and hope if

I need it I won't have any problems with drs or the hrt itself.

If it takes 3 weeks to get into your system I wonder if it takes 3 weeks to get out. We'll see 😨

So tired today. 😴

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.