TAHBSO

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 49 yrs old and on 7th April I'm due "The works." I have two fibroids one about 8cm the other not far behind and have suffered with painful, heavy, prolonged periods for who knows how long.

One problem I have is I'm not sure I want or need my ovaries removed.

The consultant said they'd take them in case there was ever a problem further down the line but is it really necessary? I've read that going through surgical menopause is worse than going through it naturally. A friend said I'm probably going through it anyway (if I am, I have no symptoms) but that doesn't mean I want to be launched into it in this way; especially having to deal with everything else after the operation. I also read, with surgical menopause, there's more chance of developing heart disease and cognitive disorders such as dementia.

I'm due at the hospital on 14th March for another injection, can't remember what it's called but it's to shrink the fibroids before the operation. I Don't know if I'll be seeing the consultant again then or just a nurse; can't see them wasting a consultant's time on an injection, I dunno confused

If I don't see the consultant does anyone know when I will? Sorry, I've never been through a major operation before so not sure what to expect or how things work.

I'm also not sure how I feel. In fact I don't seem to feel anything, it's as if life is just going on as normal but that doesn't feel right. This may sound silly but I'm more bothered that I don't feel anything than I do at the prospect of the operation itself. I'm concerned that it will hit me hard either just before or after the operation. I think I'm just weird, pity that can't be fixed along with my fibroids. 😣

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated..

So, sorry for the essay eek

Many thanks,

Esmay x

1 like, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Esmay,

Like you, have the family history thing re ovarian and cervical cancer, so had the full works removed (16 months ago).

Like Robyn, like the support you get on here and nice to be able to help others too.

Surgical menopause didn't really kick in for me till 6 weeks after surgery.  Different for everyone.  (Couldnt do the holistic route as I suffer major allergies to all sorts of meds and products, so take Elleste Solo).  Dont have to worry about the whole cancer thing there anymore.  

I have had problems with adhesions, and am facing another surgery soon, after many investigations,  due to possible adhesion-impingement with bowel and bladder, but knowing they can reform after any surgery, doesnt matter. 

Had a load sorted out the other side of my body pre-hyst, (and during it)  and result amazing, compared to before op-loads less pain. (Caused by scarring from childhood appendectomy etc).

Saved a fortune now on skipping (joyfully) passed a certain aisle!  

I had almost continuous period for nearly 2 years...terrible flooding etc...fobbed off by GP for so long...then consultant found growths etc, pre-op'd that day and first surgery a few days later!. Thankfully benign.  

I didnt have any anxiety about the op.  Was glad to get it done with.

(More worried I might have been fobbed off by yet another doc after 2 years hell, but my surgeon was great, and still is.  She doing the next op for me too)..

Might sound silly, but took me longer to stop worrying about, and checking my underwear for blood!   The changing hormones do make you feel a little up and down at times, and I had a few tears occasionally, but soon settles down, and if you know to expect it, it helps somehow....it's 'normal'..

Anyway best wishes for your forthcoming surgery. Love k

Xx

• Posted

Hi Karen, you've been through a lot, I really do hope your next operation goes ok.

I think I've been pretty lucky with my GP, he sent me straight to see a gyny after he knew about the fibroids and that I'd tried the coil years ago.

With regards to Surgical Menopause. I hope I'm blowing it all out of proportion and maybe it won't be as bad as I think - fingers crossed.

I've still got loads of pads and panty liners stashed all over the house, lol. And I found myself buying some more liners the other day even though I didn't need them; I think it'll be a while before I can bring myself to stop using them/

I was really disappointed my op was cancelled and if I didn't have the chance to have a little holiday I think I'd be rather depressed. You know when you get your mind set on something and it's all of a sudden taken away from you? I really just want it over and done with so I can start on the road to recovery and start living my life again. I just hope I don't regret it, what if it's worse than periods?

Okay, need to stop now before I put myself off, lol..

Take care of yourself x

• Posted

Aww, sorry to hear op cancelled...Happened to me - as I got into the lift to go to theatre for my surgery!!  later found out they cancelled all ops for 3 days (sussex), due to no beds and tons of accidents in a&e...

Thankfully rescheduled quickly.

Hopefully yours will be too.

For me it got to the point 'anything better than periods...

Take the time to do something nice - or at least plan something for further down the road, well after surgery so you can enjoy it more, and also to have something to look forward to.

Have plenty of nice, loose fitting clothing to allow for swelly belly, as it's called, usually later in the day or if overdone it..  I know some folks bounce back...hopefully you will be one, but at least if prepared for longer, won't feel so bad if takes little longer.

bw's

K

• Posted

Hi Esmay!

Did your Friday op go ahead? I got back home yesterday - as I came round really well and was basically too well to be kept in!  I have got just a bikini cut and dissolving stitches - not what i expected - but am very happy about that! My back ache which has plagued me for the last year or so has gone.The pain and stiffness only where I have been cut. I have had to bring back a box of anti thrombosis meds - thank goodness my hubby is a nurse as he is injecting me every night - I don't do needles! Hope all is well with you!

• Posted

Thanks Lynda!

Did you go on HRT after your op? Having super overheating issues!

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

You're welcome!  I couldn't go on HRT, because I had my hysterectomy due to endometrial cancer.  But, I had been post menopausal for over 10 years.  Even though you're post menopausal, though, your ovaries and fat cells do manufacture some estrogen.  They took my fallopian tubes and ovaries, so I did have some problems, but I'm doing better now.  

I can understand it if you're considering HRT, though!

• Posted

Sorry about that Lynda!

I am hoping to chat to my doc tomorrow - and I'll take it from there. Thanks for your lovely replies lately - I am doing ok - but I find slowing down difficult now I am home - want to be doing and I can't!!!

• Posted

Should have added - my ovary that was remaining was removed. Was on HRT from 30 - ovarian failure - I remember the hormone crash then - and it's like going back in time.

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

I'm sure that your doctor will have some good ideas...best of luck to you!  Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Isn' that interesting, I too had endometrial cancer, diagnosed with D & C, 10 days before total hysterectomy.

As per my previous posting they had to give me HRT, the sweating post surgery was soo excessive, like a waterfall.

They were struggling to keep me hydrated, veins closing down in arms, some only lasted minuets, I had 17 neddle sites over 9 days in my arms, and thats the one's I remember.

At the point they finally got a vein to hold open they were talking about a cutdown to a much bigger vein if the HRT didn't work.

Worked almost immediatley, but the amount they had to put me one was really scary, again if I remember correctly 1200mg a day, excessive amount. I know my GP was shocked and said the first time I saw him he immnediatley said you are going to have to come off that amount, I knew that already, was not comfortable with that dosage, GP helped with every 3 months a lessor dose, took about 2 years to step off completely.

• Posted

I can understand why they gave you the HRT, for you being hydrated was a life and death situation. I even got pills from my doctor to block the estrogen in my body (he said just as a precaution). I was at stage 1a, nothing further needed really, no radiation, no chemo.  

I was on them for 3 weeks--started them in mid August 2016. Among the horrible side effects (I was 67 and felt 87) was excessive adrenaline.  I was awake for 48 hours, and finally went off them.  It took me 6 months to get over those 3 weeks! I am just now starting to become more active and trying to recoup what I can of what 2016 cost me. But my health anxiety can still ramp up rapidly at the slightest twinge or ache.   

• Posted

Gosh To both of you! My issues are nothing! And I can absolutely understand health anxiety after what you have gone through! I just had a super enormous fibroid sitting on the nerves of my back. Post op I could immediately feel that pressure was gone! Not enjoying the hot flushing/ nausea episodes - but nothing that can't be sorted. I can certainly feel my inscision today - but I know that will ease in time too!

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

I don't think that your issues are nothing!  We are all here to support and help each other. Lots of women struggle each day with their health and have no one to show them caring and compassion. I do think that only those who have similar issues can understand, though family and friends can be supportive.  xx

• Posted

Thanks Lynda.

Having a bad day today. Felt the gp I spoke to today didn't really care. I have had good hospital treatment in some ways but not others. I have had no physio - there will be no follow up unless I am ill - and I can 't even see my scar - lucky I am not alone at home. I am sore, sad and can't actually sit comfortably right now. Luckily we had a toilet frame left after my Mum died a few months ago - otherwise I would have not been able to manage the loo - too low. So looks like I have to grin and bear it and look at forums for self help advice. I won't however be speaking to the gp I got today ever again.

• Posted

Ohhh Glennie - you poor thing.

You know you are allowed to have down days after such surgery and it is early days yet.

YES it does get better, just go slowly for a few more weeks yet.

Love the idea of toilet frame, didn't use one for Hysterectomy, but had to for double hip surgery, hated it but necessary evil i'm afraid. 

Rest up, eat lots of healthy food, or as much as you can manage, meat, fish, milk, cheese and of course fresh fruit and veges you still need to heal up that surgery site.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you had a bad day!  I'm glad you have some support at home. It's only natural that you feel sad, you have gone through a lot! Surgery does a number on your body, mind and spirit, even if it's lifesaving surgery!  

Please be gentle with yourself emotionally and physically. Remember that there are people who love you and want you to be well and happy!  

Please let me know how you're doing! xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda - did get to see a GP at surgery today. Took 1 look at my scar - on antibiotics and she is getting in touch with hospital to get them to look me over. Lot happier as I knew things were not right - pain was increasing and hurting even when I wasn't moving much. I do have a high pain threshhold - and by now should have been reducing the pain meds not ramping them up!

• Posted

Glad to let you know that you saw a GP!  You know your body best, and if you think that something's not right, it isn't right!  

You're correct, by now you should be able to start decreasing the pain meds.  Someone just posted on the site that anti-biotics in pill form should take about 36 hours to work, so don't start worrying if you don't feel better right away!

Please keep me posted, okay?  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.