The toothpaste I have been using has been discontinued can anyone suggest a new one

Posted , 6 users are following.

Until recently I have been using Tesco's Pro-technic Complete Sensitive toothpaste which has been excellent for my oral Lichen Planus.  It appears it has now been discontinued and I have been unable to find a suitable replacement which cleans my teeth well, treats the sensitivity but does not burn my mouth.  In spite of approaching all the toothpaste companies (who say they are not able to advise) I have not been able to find an alternative.  I have a cupboardful of toothpaste and am getting desperate.

I have been able to obtain a sample of a very mild toothpaste but though it did not burn my mouth it did nothing for the sensitive teeth problem. 

Dentist was unable to suggest a suitable product.  Can anyone help? 

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Gillian , I am so please it is helping you. Best discovery ever for me . 
  • Posted

I ordered Squigle from Amazon and tried it for the first time yesterday. The taste (or lack thereof) takes some adjusting. I am used to my mouth feeling "clean" when I taste mint, and I need to get past that. Will keep forging ahead with it and hope for the best. 
  • Posted

I only ever buy online from the mouth ulcer shop. There are yow types and I prefer the minty one.
  • Posted

There was only one that I saw, and it is unflavored.  Yuck!  I'll look for the minty one.  Is the Mouth Ulcer shop only in the UK?
  • Posted

You can buy it also in US from a website . Stick with the recognised medical sites. Type in squigle toothsaver and it should come up with the history and doctor who first made it.
  • Posted

Hello Gillian

I have been treating my erosive OLP with the following routine to alleviate symptoms (with fairly good success).

On getting up: glass of tepid water. Then"oil pulling" with coconut oil (from Waitrose) for 20 mins. I managed to hold it in my mouth whilst showering this morning! Spit out into the trash afterwards. Google "oil pulling" if you want to follow this up. Then rinse with tepid water. Then clean my teeth with Optima AloeDent Sensitive toothpaste (from Holland and Barrett - not expensive). Then rinse with Dr Organic Teatree and Aloe Vera mouthwash (stings but that disappears about 1 min after spitting out).

After every meal I use a water dental irrigator to get rid of food particles and then rinse with Aloe Vera juice (again from H&B). I spit this out so that I am not limited by the daily amount one can take in.

At night I again clean my teeth with the AV toothpaste and rinse with the teatree  mouthwash. At this time I do a very gentle flossing as well.

My dentist gives me zeros all round for tooth/gum health (top marks) and says excellent mouth hygiene. My erosive OLP symptoms are kept at bay with this routine unless I eat too much sugar or sharp food like crackers or toast.

• Posted

That is quite a dilligent and impressive daily routine, and I congratulate you on its success.  I have had luck with doing some of that, but you've given me more ideas.  Oil pulling is a bit hard to get used to, and I tried it for a few days, then had to rest because my mouth muscles were very sore. I should try it again. Good dental hygiene is very important, and the tea tree mouthwash does help. I also found a tea tree lip balm, which helps.  Swishing with water after each meal and flossing every day is also helpful. I was doing much better, but ordered a sandwich that arrived on toasted bread.  The restaurant was busy, so I pulled the crusts off and ate the sandwich anyway, but it set me back a lot.  Trying to recover from that ONE restaurant slip-up, and learned a good lesson! 
  • Posted

You are probably not going to like my suggestion...but it works well for me.  All the toothpastes that have any type of essential oil in them cause worse inflamation for me. Someone recommended that I use finely ground activated charcoal from bamboo (it is very cheap). I use a tiny scoop....about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of it in the palm of my hand. I slightly dampen my toothbrush and then go at it. It's a bit gritty...but no taste...and a bit messy...but you get accustomed to it. It is TOTALLY NON-IRRITATING!  I rinse with plain warm water...and sometimes a mild salt solution...swishing well several times to get out all the residue. Has made a huge difference for me...so may be worth the try.
  • Posted

Hi Gillian iv had lichen planus for 17yrs the best toothpaste that I have used that dos not sting or hurt in any way is called oral nurse you gan get it on amazon ,you won't have a problem with this. Hope this helps 
    • Posted

Hi Elaine do you have skin lichens as well only I do and do you know the cause of it. How old are you Elaine only I am 56 and notice more people in gnus age group with this disease xx
    • Posted

Hi Gillian yes iv got it on skin ,iv had it from early 50 I'm now 69yrs I use dermovate on skin ,and oral nurse toothpaste dos not hurt your mouth ,and over the years iv tried every thing ,it was quite under controll till 5yrs ago had cancer and was on chemo ,it started it up again ,specialy in my mouth ,it's an horrible thing ,but we have to live with it ,but please try oral nurse ,I know you will be ok ,it was the professor who I am under told me ,not looked back ,it's so good no more stinging my mouth ,I'm very pleased with it , x
    • Posted

Hi Elaine when you were younger did you have any problems with cervical smears I had precancerous cells and had to have leep I got this lichen planus after that think they were linked, if you don't mind me asking where did you have cancer I'm 56 and terrified of getting cancer with this disease, have you had any body hairloss with this in your private parts nice to speak with you Elaine xx
    • Posted

Hi Karen...you know I wonder how many of us used estrogen creams before this started. That is when mine started. I was okay at first with them..but within a couple of months the itching/tearing/irritation started and I would get what I thought was a yeast infection and would treat it that way. I would stop the cream and it would clear up. Everytime I would go back to it...the same thing would happen...and then eventually it just didn't go away again. I had read somewhere that one of the ingredients were causing allergic reactions in some women. So just curious.  Tomorrow I'm going to start a parasite cleanse...just to see if that makes any difference.  It's an easy one...and gentle on the system...and inexpensive to do...so worth a try. Anything is worth a try. Right now I'm suffering most on my legs...the itching could drive me insane. Baking soda soaks help a little...and spraying witch hazel on them helps also...but nothing is clearing it up. Like I've said before...I'm determined to find answers...they say there is a cure for everything...and I'm sure going to keep trying. I've not experienced the hair loss...so fortunate there. The low thyroid could be causing that and it doesn't always show up with the regular thyroid test...so ask for a more thorough screening. I'm going to try the oral nurse toothpaste...the charcoal works...but is rather a nasty mess...and I miss the freshness of toothpaste. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks renee it seems older women after the menopause suffer with lichens it is a miserable disease but I think it's linked to hpv virus which causes cell changes xx
    • Posted

Hi Karen like you I was scared every time they looked in my mouth with my tongue white and ulcers ,that it might be cancer iv had a piece of my tongue gut out and stitched cos a ulcer would not heal ,yes I have had it on private parts proffeser told me to put small amount of dermovate on it cleared up ,I got cancer 5yrs ago but it was colon cancer remover part of my bowle  and had chemo ,,,the professor thought mine had been brought on with anti inflamertry drugs what I had for pain ,,I find if I get stressed it flares up like I said to Gillian it's a terrible thing but you have to learn to live with it ,it 1st started on my tongue little white patch then went worse ,then I was panicking thought it was something bad ,with the worry of that it came all over my body could not put a pin between the spots that were itchy drove me mad in fact they took pictures of me because they had never seen it that bad ,but it went after a few months leaving scars all over my body that turned into light brown marks ,but as the years go by it's fading ,and I really understand the fear you go through with it ,bin there x
    • Posted

Thank you Elaine for chatting with me I am just the same spots everywhere with itching I keep thinking its cancer and the burning with spicy foods , I feel like I can't get on with life because of this I am on my own with 18 year old daughter and I am trying not to let her see how worried I am, did you have problems with smear tests in the past caused by a virus hpv only I did I also am on antidepressants, do you have hair loss in your private parts with this ? Xxx
    • Posted

I hope this will be reassuring that my doctors have told me that it is extremely rare for this to turn into cancer.  I feel pretty confident about this as I take very good care of my health with plenty of healthy foods and supplements. Am also starting a yoga class...yoga calms your body...see if there is something offered close to you or get a dvd and do it at home.  Hugs to my fellow sufferers.
    • Posted

Hi renee and karon my doctor told me the same ,it's rare that it turns into cancer ,but it still unnerve you when it's so sore and every thing you eat with a bit of spice in it burns like mad ,chin up lady's we are not on our own 
    • Posted

Thanks Elaine hope your okay please keep in touch it helps keep me sane Xx
    • Posted

Will do karon ,,any time I can help will do ,,I was so frightened when I first got it ,went on the Webb looking for things about it ,dr told me not to look on there if there was a problem to ask him ,don't go reading things that scare you .take care ,x
    • Posted

I have been doing a ton of research and have found some interesting information. I have the crazy itching it's been driving me insane...so have been looking for solutions. Here are a few things that I found.

Use a solution of organic castor oil (4tbsp mixed with 2 drops lavender oil and 1 drop lemongrass oil) (Do not use essential oils straight...you must use a carrier oil like castor oil) This gives instant relief of itching and burning.  Tears heal and skin will regain it's healthy pink color again. Castor oil is very thick and odorless so it stays on the skin well throughout the day.

Here's another recipe I found for a itch relief spray:     Itch-Be-Gone Recipe

Fill a 2 ounce spray bottle to the shoulder with witch hazel.

Add the following essential oils (not fragrance oils!):

5 drops Lavender

2 drops Frankincense

3 drops Tea Tree

Label your bottle, shake it up, and use – that’s it!

Why these ingredients

Witch hazel makes for an awesome base since it’s naturally astringent and soothing.

Lavender – Lavandula angustifola, not Spike Lavender which is Lavendula latifolia, or Lavandin – due to it’s analgesic (pain-relieving), anti-inflammatory, cicatrisant (cell-regenerative and scar-healing), anti-infectious, wound-healing, and skin-healing properties.

Frankincense – also analgesic (pain-relieving), anti-inflammatory, cicatrisant (cell-regenerative and scar-healing), and skin-healing properties.Tea Tree – anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-infectious.

Also have read that many are seeing incredible results with diluting apple cider vinegar with water as a spray...and also drinking it.  I'm starting with 2 tablespoons once a day in some non-citrus juice as I've not researched yet what the recommended dosage is...but will get back here with any new found information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.