This might be a sign the dose is too high....

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was at the psych. yesterday and my dose was upped about 7 weeks ago.  One of the things she asked me was if I was pacing at home.  I seem to recall a friend who is bipolar and he was pacing and hand wringing and I think they lowered the dose.  Just in case, these may be signs but I didn't specifically ask her.  

What brought this to my mind was when I was at the shop just now.  I had to wait for something they said would be ready and was not.  I could feel myself getting irritated because they told me it would be ready an hour before I arrived and I was annoyed.  I could feel my heart rate increase and I did start pacing but not like a lunatic.  I don't think the psych. meant in a 'situation' - more if you are doing it alone without a valid reason.

Just something to keep in mind

Jo x  

0 likes, 285 replies

285 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

True - I'm reading the website that Kate recommends by that man PD (don't want the moderators unhappy).  Very informative, may order the book at some point.  I've just ordered something she uses K*lms  - may use as an extra for myself.  It has good reviews.  

• Posted

That has valerian root ..so be aware it may cause some tiredness with celexa
    • Posted

Good morning Jo.  I tried finding signs that a person's dose is too high.. Can't find anything.  Please tell me everything you know about the signs of the dose being too high.  I have to know because one doctor said he's on a high dose of 15mgs. and the other said he should be on 20mgs. 

• Posted

Good morning Lois.   I was going to buy Kalms months ago for him.   Have you ever tried it?

They have a variety...  how do I know which one to try?   Did you ever ask the doctor if it's safe to take with Celexa?

• Posted

Good morning.,no I never try it .. because I was afraid of the valerian root that it has .but from every thing I read it seems ok...
    • Posted

If you don't mind, what about that root made you afraid?  Have you ever asked your doctor about it?  I have to ask everything on this forum to all of you because neither doctor of his knows very much.

• Posted

I read somewhere that valerian root and ssris don't like each other...

• Posted

It has a moderate interaction..but just be careful it says that be aware with the disabled and the elderly
    • Posted

Which is why I stay away from herbs on him being on meds.  I used to give him herbs before the meds.  I only did the essential oils on him.  I did herbs for many years myself, and they aren't always safe to take.

• Posted

Herbs at times cause havoc on our bodies.because they are not regulated by the government ..take at your own risk..I guess that goes for even prescribed meds..lol
    • Posted

Hi jojo

I don't know anything about the dose being too high other than what the dr asked me and the friend whose husband is bipolar and seems to be doing these things so the reduced the dose.  Maybe you could all a dr office or nurse and ask them.  I don't have a lot of experience with a/ds since I'm on it virtually the first time but Lois seems to agree from her own experience that this was a sign of something not working for her and she has a low tolerance for meds.

Jo x

• Posted

I couldn't get that info from the Internet.   That was good to know.  

It gets my attention because since the anesthesia and the personality change, he's done that on a normal basis.  One doctor said it gave him mania which is a part of bipolar.   If 13mgs is too high for him, we are really in a bad place because he's so unstable, I can't touch his meds.   If I went to 10mgs, I can do that for another month.   What dose was he on and what dose is he on now?

• Posted

Jojo

I would ask Katecogs, she was the one who told me about the Kalms. I would like to know myself it I can take it.  

• Posted

Do not change his dosage JoJo...let him stabilize....please.his not ny son but I care ..
    • Posted

I know you do ?

I'm not doing anything!  I can't.   I want to get him lowered but I have to do it like Kate did.   If this one doctor is right and he did get mania from the anesthesia, he told me he can't be higher than 5 mgs!!  We are in bad shape because his relief won't come for MONTHS.

• Posted

Wow...so just do it like Kate says..and let's pray that he soon starts to stabilize...the other two Medication he takes there's no internet interaction with kalms ...but celexa has a beaware for the disable.and the old...=me. Lol

• Posted

Lois, your mentioned your sister tried Celexa?  Was her anxiety like yours or was yours much worse?  
    • Posted

Jo, do you know what dose your friends husband was on and how

Much he went down to?

• Posted

My mother no side effects or withdrawal from celexa...my sister jumps from one ssri to another no side effects no withdrawal..go figure...me the opposite 😔

• Posted

All I know JoJo is as soon as my dose was drop my herrondeus symptoms/side effects where still their but not as severe.
    • Posted

But was their anxiety as bad as yours, are were you worse than them?  

I'm wondering if the length of the recovery goes by how bad their anxiety is to begin with.

• Posted

No.compare to mine ..there anxiety was not severe like mine
    • Posted

So you see my theory?   The worse the anxiety the harder the med has to work means the longer the recovery.   

Now this makes sense to me.  

• Posted

Makes alot of Sense to me...which means the damege is more severe in poeple like me etc.
    • Posted

The more damege of any thing in our bodies the longer it takes to heal.
    • Posted

It makes so much sense now.   I've been wanting to ask you that question for a few weeks, but life has been unsettled and it was on the back burner in my brain.  

A doctor isn't going to believe that just like his doctor told me he's never heard of it taking more than 2 weeks to work.  So I won't waste my time with my theory.  He will see the Brooks isn't much better and push me to up the dose, but rest assure I'm not doing that.  

So Brooks has more work for the meds to do.   The more work the med has to work, the longer it's going to take to recover.  Incredible... 

• Posted

Lois ..  and is Kate here?   Ok 13 mgs is way too high for him.   It's actually making him crazy.   What should have been a blessing has been a curse.  I can't lower now, he has been still having brain zaps turning into short seizures almost every day 😢

He will never be stablized until this has seriously been lowered.  On  11/11/17 I put him on 13 Mgs.   When can I lower him?  4 weeks on 13mgs will be 12/09/17.   Is that ok or too soon?  And what do I lower it to?  10% from 13mgs?  

• Posted

Perhaps when you do lower .lower to ten...the time to lower depends on how his feeling.its difficult because of his situation.
    • Posted

I'm having a problem with both threads.   I keep getting kicked off and having to retype it all over again.  

This is why I wish you had an email so I don't have to type here.

• Posted

My heart brakes for Brooks.   He suffers every day.  It's weird, he doesn't even look normal until he has the pot.  

• Posted

I'm separating my response in case it's moderated.

So do you think 10 is ok on 12/09/17?

That would be 4 weeks.  He has never had this many seizures since it started 2 years ago.  LUckily they have all been between 5-20 seconds.  

• Posted

That's because the pot is sadating to his nervous system.until he stabilizes or you completely perhaps try a different ssri.its a waiting game..

• Posted

What are u doing this wknd?  Are you getting ready for Thanksgiving?  Do u celebrate it over there?
    • Posted

I celebrate anywhere .why not.we are American and that's the only holidays I know...

• Posted

I think it's such a small dose that it wouldn't be a problem...

• Posted

I really don't know how to pm 😐

If it wasn't for that stuff he gets, he wouldn't eat sleep laugh or function.  But that stuff is illegal and these hard core meds are, go figure..

It is all a guessing game.  One doctor said the longer on a high SSRI dose, the worse the person's anxiety becomes.  The other doctor said the longer the person is on CELEXA, the worse that persons mania becomes.  So he's getting a blood test a week from today.  So within the next 2 weeks I will know if his Lithium will be increase.   Who knows, that may be the answer.  I hope to God this doctor he sees is the one who right!

• Posted

👍 I've been doing prep cooking from early this morning.  Sooooo 😴.

• Posted

I think Thanksgiving is lovely...yes hopefully the blood work will decide his lithium dosage..and if pot is calming him..why not.
    • Posted

I know right ssris are so much worst than benzos or pot etc.etc
    • Posted

Thank you Lois 😊  Oh goodie, only another 3 more weeks.  

Have a great night..  chat tomorrow ??

• Posted

Good morning Lois.  As Brooks wakes up each day he looks the same, not getting better.  He doesn't look normal anymore.  Something just isn't right.  I can't count on the doctors.  I looked up everything I can think of, it may be that he has Serotonin Syndrome.  People can tell me what to do and what not to do until they are blue in the face but this is my kid and I knew for 2 months now that something is wrong.  His hands and face on and off looks like he has some muscle distortion that it's hard to describe.  At times he could look normal, only when the pot takes effect.  Then he is distorted all over again.  This started in October. 

Honestly, what can I do?  This stuff is way out of my book of knowledge. 

• Posted

I just read online that mixing Celexa and Lithium can cause this.  He's never been increased on the Lithium.  Been on the same minimal dose.  I need to start thinking when exactly this muscle stuff started and if it was around the same time as the Lithium.  This is crazy.

• Posted

I have mention that to you about the major drug interaction between the two...
    • Posted

If you think that's what it is .you need to take him to the emergency... serotonin syndrome is not a joke....is very dangerous

• Posted

Both of those doctors saw him and didn't think that, one doctor felt it was mania and the current doctor didn't think anything at all.  Maybe it isn't but I am calling his current doctor today and getting a script for a blood test.  I'm just not finding anything on the internet as far as what a person looks like with SS.  

I can't remember exactly, but I think it started when he was on 20mgs of Celexa.  It's uncontrollable twitching. 

• Posted

Uncontrollable twitching, sweating, large pupils and crazy behavior.  Does that sound like SS?
    • Posted

No ..that sounds like me in the beginning of celexa...I don't mean to be sarcastic...but I was the same.and I know lithium and celexa have a major interaction.

• Posted

Wait, but he has been on this since February 27th and started doing this back in September.  What am I supposed to think?  It has to be something.  Every symptom a person gets in their life means something.  So after being on Celexa for 8 months and this happens in the 6th month this means....?
    • Posted

So getting back to my original gut feeling...  his dose is too high for him.  Does that sound more like it?
    • Posted

You know this celexa for some including me have some strange side effects...some linger longer for alot of people.while for others it takes some weeks or a couple of months.i know for a fact is not a quick fix..and since you been yoying his dosage ...his Brain is reacting to it...it took me 8months on one dose..but before that the other ssris I was on had me going literally crazy.been a guinea pig wasn't fun for me.i also had no clue about katecogs..once I started reading her comments..I realized I wasn't the only one like this and that time play a big roll of this medication.i too was searching for a quick fix.and what I did was cause havoc on my poor brain..so if you think his having ss.and I'm pretty sure that only happens in large doses of the two.call his doctor..

• Posted

He started this about 4 months after being on 20mgs.  What am I supposed to think?  That his dose is too high for him? 
    • Posted

Well I have read that children with autism do better with ssris in small doses..
    • Posted

The doctor was the one that prescribed these meds..so let's not read into it too much...you know doctor Google always gives you worst case scenario...

• Posted

Which brings me to my original theory and what that other doctor said.  He shouldn't be on higher than 5mgs.  I'm in trouble sad

• Posted

Don't be hard on your self ..blame those goofy doctor's for upping his dosage in the beginning...like I said before my phychiatrist has big men on 5milligrams . because they couldn't handle the 10... people always saying 20 is the therapeutic dose.. therapeutic dose my ass...

• Posted

That doctor wants him back on 20mgs.  I can't do that.  We are all suffering.  He is making our lives hell with his hell.  We are all on edge. 

So you were like this when you were on 20mgs?  Did it go away after lowering it to 10mgs? 

• Posted

Most definitely .I had same drama just not as severe...is like some one turn down my volume from ten to five..my pupil's return to normal my restless leg syndrome went away.my eye twitching disappear.my internal shaking went away...and that nasty drug up feeling subsided slowly.

• Posted

Lois, the million dollar question.  I really do believe not this current doctor but the last one who saw him immediately and said the mania and not to be on more than 5 mgs.  What do I do.  You were able to drop the dose quick because you only just started.  He's been on it for months now.  I am really in a bad place.  This is going to take FOREVER to go down!  I don't know how many more TV's I will need to replace and holes in the walls and broken everything around the house that started in the last 3 months when this started.  He is now constantly angry.  I can only imagine what he is feeling! 

• Posted

Wow JoJo..I mean his feeling bad already... dropping him to ten . couldn't be any worst...with your doctor's advice that said he should be on ten..

• Posted

That sounds about right .that way any emergencys will be taken care of..
    • Posted

That's what the last doctor wanted to do, but the only hospital in the entire state of NJ which I live in, only has one hospital for autistic kids.  One of my friends used to work there.  The staff ties the kids down and beats them until they can't move.  I can't do that.  My boyfriend just called me and begged me to lower him to 5mgs because he can't live like this anymore..  the doctor who said he needed to be on 5mgs is the best in his field.  I just couldn't take Brooks to that hospital so he dumped us. 

I know I haven't given full disclosure on his suffering.  But it's been REALLY bad.  It's been a living hell for the last 3 months without a break.  I know Kate keeps saying to lower a tiny bit every 4-6 weeks or until a person is stable, but the truth is...  he will never be stable where he is now.  I can't wait for something that won't happen.  He suffers as if he is losing his mind, and he is taking us all down with us.  This is not normal Celexa side effects waiting for them to work.  He was doing really well and then he wasn't. 

• Posted

Don't go to five go to ten ..I mean you say that the other doctor wanted him to to five immediately..so IAM at a lost.

• Posted

I know, me too Lois.   I'm so very scared I'm losing my son mentally then physically.  

• Posted

We last had a life in Aug. haven't been out of the house with him since.  

Believe me I get what you all have been saying about adjusting the dose, but none of you have been getting beat up and property damage every day.   This isn't Brooks.  When the pot kicks in, he's all love and hugs and laughter.   

With that being said..  what do I do?  I have already upped his pot dose to "try" to relax him.   I can up it again and see what happens.   Thank God I get this medically so I can control what he is getting.  

• Posted

If the pot is helping him ..that's great..what do you think about the ten..I mean the pot is doing to him what zanex did for me...so continue the pot .. because benzos are a no-no for him...

• Posted

I guess I can up the pot.  The only problem is im only allowed so much a month and it's super super expensive.  

So it's only been 9 days, it's ok to lower to 10?  

Then what do I do?  I really do feel like I'm losing him.  He's been talking to himself and twitching and acts erratic.  Very unsettled, barely sits down never stays still.  

• Posted

It will be a hell of a bit kinder to his system than going straight to 5.
    • Posted

If I would of known what I know now..I would of went from 20 to 15 to 10...and save me some yucky feelingsss
    • Posted

Lois, you would have done that big of a drop 5 mgs at a time?  How long do you think I should wait until his next drop?  And what should that be?  7.5? 
    • Posted

He went with his class to his favorite place in the world..  Applebee's.  He was so high strung and became so aggressive, they won't take him out anymore until his anxiety and aggression gets better.  We used to go once a week.  If we could have went every night he'd be in heaven. 

This is just so bad. 

• Posted

You know JoJo..on top of the meds.and the anesthesia drama.all of this could be link to one another...so the only way to know is to have patience..if patience means no television or broken walls..so be it..is better than that awful hospital they where sending him to.
    • Posted

Just by doing the decrease slowly I know is hard for him and you.and I want him to feel better too.so what I mean by patience is simply that.patience for him to stabilize..it just doesn't happen overnight.or in two weeks like most doctor's say.worst case scenario your decreasing because if it ain't working you have to decrease anyway...so let's keep our fingers crossed

• Posted

I'll give it a couple of weeks...  I guess.  They had to restrain him today in school.  This is really so sad..  this is not my Brooks. 

• Posted

Sounds like a plan.. always keep your doctor inform..all though I know how you feel about that..
    • Posted

I hope I don't have to take a leave of absence from my job to get him down from this stuff..

Do you see my profile picture?  That was him in June.  He was a real happy kid. 

How long do you think before he starts with the withdrawals... immediately?

• Posted

But it's been weeks.  Why would he still have withdrawals?  I thought that lasted 4 weeks tops.

• Posted

You know I still get the occasional tiny brain zap from the effexor I took 20months ago...
    • Posted

Everytime you decrease you get withdrawal .so when you decrease again expect withdrawals..
    • Posted

My last reply was in response to you still getting brain zaps.

I decreased him over a month ago.  The wdr

• Posted

Lois, I really want to thank for being there for me yesterday.  This is a very serious and very scary time for him and all of us from what has been going on.  I know I have been sugar coating it, maybe if I gave full disclosure others would have known how something wasn't right.. 

He starts 10mgs today.  Can't say I'm prepared, but it can't be any worse than it already is.  I upped his pot yesterday afternoon and to my pleasant surprise, that beautiful face came back out and no distorted disfigured face and hands.  No anger, no violence.  I am preparing myself to be going through a lot more of that stuff until God willing he stabilizes.  See, when Brooks started Celexa it was magic, he had instant relief.  He was so much better, then the doctor kept upping the dose and his anxiety just got worse as the days, weeks, months passed by. 

I do believe that other doctor, that 5 mgs. would be best for him.  It's just going to be hell getting there.  All I can hope for is that ultimately he starts feeling a little bit better since the dose went down ( I hope). 

• Posted

Because of his autism I do believe when you started him on five then you increase then increase again .all though he was fine at the end of the increase he crash . because perhaps those dosages where to much for his autism.. sometimes people get delay side effects or withdrawals..so let's pray that the doctor is right about the 5 milligrams dose..which I have read is the autism dose.

• Posted

PS.theres nothing wrong with the prescribe pot.is prescribed for a reason.if it calms him fantastic..
    • Posted

Lois, it was like night and day.  It's really expensive, and I now have to give him twice the dose that I was giving him to compensate all that added anxiety he has been feeling.  That's how bad it is.  

I was a beautiful site.  He ate and ate and laughed and was giving hugs and kisses and just so relaxed, went to sleep like a champ instead of sitting up in bed twitching and bending his fingers and being all distorted.  So that proved to me that this was all added anxiety from a dose that has been way too high for him for months!!  And this doctor wants him on 20 mgs.  He's crazy. 

Now that I went to 10 mgs. from 13 mgs., I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a better transition for him.   

• Posted

Just observe him carefully if his body .stabilizes on ten great..you never know...and if doesn't you know what to do.

• Posted

From experience I say the ten was what I needed.and Al though I felt I was going backwards and still suffering from every thing plus the kitchen sink.my phychiatrist refused to up my dosage again or lower it.so I just held on thank goodness for zanex.thank goodness for Brooks pot.
    • Posted

xx

I will be sure to let you know as things happen.  Today is starting off bad, the way it has been.

• Posted

Don't know where either one of would be without it.  Afraid to think about it.

How long would it take for me to know if 10 mgs. is good for him?  How long do I give it before I know?

• Posted

His side effects/withdrawal will lesson..I notice mine right away nothing drastic.but I knew it wasn't like the higher dose.lm guessing you will see it in his face.

• Posted

Give it a good 3weeks... because of his circumstances and lack of communication,.you can only go by his actions.im I correct?
    • Posted

I hope that if this lower dose helps him feel better than I should see it within the week.  But I know the withdrawals, that'll be there for a month. 

It has been a nightmare.  Like living with Mr. Hyde. 

• Posted

I bet...trust me he will make a comeback..his only 19 his got a long life ahead of him.maybe you will see Germany in the near future..
    • Posted

It's a horrible morning.  Holes in all the walls yet again.  Another broken tv and God knows what else I'll be coming home to.  This is how life has been the last few months.  Every day sad

He is being tortured and so have the rest of us, especially me because I have to replace everything that

• Posted

Hi jojo

I'm so sorry that you are having to go through all of this.  I can't help you because I don't know anything about it but I'll keep you in my prayers.  

Jo x

• Posted

Jo, you helped me more than you know.  If you didn't start this thread and put the "hand wringing" in there..  I wouldn't have known what was going on.  Then yesterday I flat out told Lois everything and boom, she knew his dose was too high.  Just like one of the doctors had told me. 

Lois was a God send to me.  I am so grateful for her personal experici

• Posted

For her sharing her personal experience with me.  So you did help smile
    • Posted

Awww.thanks JoJo.i don't hold back my experience..and alot of those nasty symptoms Brooks has been experiencing with the exception of violence I experience..

• Posted

If Jo didn't post this thread..  and you being here to really figure this out for me, God knows what the outcome would have been.  This whole time I didn't lay it all out there to what has been going on.  Everybody here is so positive I really felt bad putting something negative out there.

And another thing he does and I mean all the time, he puts his head down into the inside of his arm by the elbow. 

• Posted

I remembered all to well the wringing of the hands.and my husband saying if the wringing of your hands and the moving of your legs brings you relief he encourage me to do it.because in one time it was so bad..I thought I was disrupting his sleep..
    • Posted

And when Brooks actually sat down...  he would be shaking his legs too. 

I don't know how you all go through this stuff.  I at times get anxious watching how painful this all is. 

• Posted

Silly question, how soon after you cut down did you start feeling relief?
    • Posted

My phychiatrist says that's one of the ways to deal with irratibility or stress.when one is or waiting for relief either from meds.or just naturally.imagine some people do this naturally..and when doctor's prescribed ssris for these actions it turns chronic..while waiting for meds to kick in.

• Posted

I felt some relief within I can't remember if it was days or a week.i know it wasn't drastic relief but it was something..

• Posted

Your relief wasn't drastic?  But you didn't feel like you were jumping out of your skin anymore right??

What doesn't make sense is why it took so long for this to happen. 

• Posted

Perhaps because he is autistic and those high dosages of celexa cause havoc on his already anxiety he was feeling from the test he had from car accident.
    • Posted

So a high dose of celexa for autism= nasty side effects.and because he was already suffering from anesthesia mania.the high dose of celexa intensify his anxiety feelings.
    • Posted

He was on 20 mgs in Aug and Sep.  He had 2 good months.  The staff in his school said whatever you did, he's doing great..  then Oct 1st came and he wasn't doing great.  Since Oct 1st it's been hit or miss at school, but really horrible at home.  So bad that I hated Friday come 5pm when it is time for me to go home for the wknd.  It made me sick dreading the wknds.  Since Oct 1st, he on an average has been breaking a TV once a week and brakes CD players.. like 1-4 a week.  I can tell you more but you get the picture.  The worst is having to stand next to him literally next to him to watch his every move the entire day and night.  Great life huh...? 

I pray to the Holy Mother that this starts getting better.  Going into Thanksgiving wknd and I have 4    days with him...  sad

• Posted

I would say he had delay symptoms . perhaps it was because his brain realize that the dosage was too high..this is a brain med.so I'm blaming the high dose doesn't fit well with autism..It still baffles me how one doctor says 20 and the other one says 5...

• Posted

So although 10 mgs. isn't considered high, it is probably too high for him.  So this nightmare can last how long?  Should I just drop him to 5 ?

• Posted

I don't really know if your son falls under the umbrella of a child because he is 19.but yes I read that autistic children and bi polar children do better on low doses of ssri . because high doses for any one under the age of 25.is prone to instability from ssris.because brain is not fully developed yet.

• Posted

No.give him some time .and please let your DC.know what's happening.

• Posted

No.his severe manic episodes are stemming from the anesthesia.
    • Posted

And that's why that one doctor wanted him on 5mgs of Celexa and the Lithium..  to stabilize his mood.  That's why. 

He is getting a blood test this coming Sat.  We go back to the doctor on Tues.  I hope he gets the results so he can decide whether to up his Lithium.  But I have to get that Celexa down.  How long do you think?  Maybe after a week?  Or two?  If we aren't all in straight jackets.  sad

• Posted

Yes i been reading alot according to all the information you have provided me about Brook.
    • Posted

I love you so much Lois.  You have been the only constant in my life keeping my sanity.  You don't even know how much you mean to me.  I thank you so much for everything. 

From what you read and what you know, do I wait a week?  Two weeks?

• Posted

You know to how his feeling already I would wait at least til your doctor's appointment Tuesday.

• Posted

Hi Lois...  anger, destruction, pacing and hand wringing today.  I guess I expect a miracle sad
    • Posted

Unfortunately those side effects last a while.i can't really tell you how long because it all happened so gradual.. but I know it was a while.even on my 10mill. To they where there but not as severe..anger is because his brain is mad because of the way he feels.distruction is a way probably to release his anger.and pacing and hand wringing is the irratibility the celexa brings on.i know is hard to be patience.because these drugs are a waiting game.nightmare right?

• Posted

Hang on JoJo.you have six days left to see his doctor..it may be the longest day of your lives ..but hang on
    • Posted

Nightmare is a nice word for it.  What we've been is worse than hell sad

The hang wringing and pacing and anger I thought was from the dose being too high.   I truly thought he'd feel relief today. 

• Posted

Remember on top of side effects.there is still withdrawal.so all that combine is just a big old stew..how else can I described it.
    • Posted

No Lois, I can't tell his doctor.  He won't continue seeing him as a patient.  I asked all the moms I am friends with that have autistic sons.  Our kids get dumped very quickly and doctors don't want to treat them.  I had to take the knowledge from that doctor who saw him once and somehow get the proper treatment from this doctor. 

The second from the last time he saw this current doctor, he said to me "if Brooks doesn't get better with a high dose of Celexa, I can't help him anymore".  I was shocked.  I don't know if he gets kick backs from this drug, but he insisted me giving him 20 mgs when we went there on 11/08. 

• Posted

Ok so just trust the other doctor .and this forum that the best care for Brooks will be determined with what you have learn/read and told by a different doctor..
    • Posted

So you mean to tell me when you have your appointment Tuesday you can't tell doctor the scoop.?

• Posted

No.   Last time I told him about the forum and how it takes everyone diff times to improve.   He said that isn't the truth.  He said a person should not need more than 2 weeks 

• Posted

What and idiot.!!! They have no clue.thank god my phychiatrist has a clue.i wish it was a two week get better soon.my go was also and idiot.thats why I suffer so much.then my phychiatrist fix it all..thank goodness

• Posted

Wow two weeks.i don't think so.sometimes I wish I could shove two weeks worth of ssris to my gp.and then maybe she could feel what millions of people feel.or feel what I felt .her last words .oh I can't help you no more Lois .you gotta see a phychiatrist..while I sat in her office with all these nasty feelings she cause me by moving me from med to med .I wanted to punch her !!!!!

• Posted

I'm not left with a choice.  I have nobody but u.  No doctor to talk to.  

• Posted

This is scary for me.  I had joy and happiness from him.  Now I don't.  Obviously something is wrong.  

• Posted

Let him stabilize on ten..iam glad I have shared my experiences about this med with you.but this may all be stemming from that uncalled for test Brook had.i have read that anesthesia does cause some people mania/anxiety.
    • Posted

You did say Brook was fine until he got that anesthesia...?
    • Posted

Before the seizures, Brooks was like a doll that I dressed up and took him everywhere in the world I wanted to.  We had a truly amazing life smile  After the seizures he started with anxiety, the anxiety came out when he felt a seizure came on and he would flip out.  But I still had a life, we still had a life. 

After the anesthesia he had the sound issues and has turned so scary that I can't leave him alone in a room for a second. 

• Posted

That he always had, but since the anxiety is so bad, the OCD is off the charts!

Another thing, I used to drive him to Georgia and Florida from NJ, now I can't drive down the street without the fear of being attacked.  I have 3 pet gates all bungeed up and zip tied all in between the front and back seats so he can't get to me.  This happened after the anesthesia. 

• Posted

so the sound issues where before the celexa?do you have a clue what type of anesthesia they used.and why they administer that anesthesia on a autistic child .was the anesthesia local or general?
    • Posted

I guess it was general because they wanted him to have an EEG for his seizures.  Anyone with knowledge of seizures knows that a person can be there hooked up to those machines for 2 weeks and if they don't have a seizure during those 2 weeks...  guess what..  no activity which means they don't get any info on that test. 

He had a very hard time waking up afterwards. 

Yes, the sound issues were the reason why he was put on Celexa. 

• Posted

Very possible.because I had all kinds of anxiety physical and mental issues before ssris.includind sound and smell and aches and pains.and every possible nasty feeling I didn't know what it was.i thought the worst..but getting on ssris made it even worst .until I stabilize and it took months and months for all my symptoms of anxiety to disappeared.both physical and mental..I'm pretty sure mine where more physical than mental.

• Posted

I read that the two ssris for autistic adults are celexa or Prozac.so if worst comes to worst Prozac at the lowest dose could be a possibility.?
    • Posted

And that was the next med on that one doctor's list..   who saw him only that one time said. 

• Posted

Where are you finding this stuff?

Today started out to be a horror story.  But he had a VERY good day at school today and his having a good afternoon too smile

Could it be?  I'm actua

• Posted

I have been doing intensive research for Brooks...
    • Posted

Thank you so much Lois.  I'm so happy I'm finally not alone..  being all alone is horrible.  

Can it be I actually have a Happy  Thanksgiving 🦃...?  I would love to have that feeling of being grateful.  Haven't felt that in a long time.   

• Posted

You are going to have a wonderful thanksgiving.im not eating turkey this year mash squash with new York steak.and broccoli...yummy
    • Posted

Lois, could it be that his sound 

Issue is from the mania?

And this is how stupid his doctor is.  He told me that if Brooks has mania, the Celexa will make his mania worse.  So the idiot wants him on 20mgs of Celexa to do what?  To have to up his Lithium that much more to counteract the Celexa???  Does that make sense?

• Posted

Well...  I'm forced to be a vegetarian.  One day I just couldn't eat meat or chicken anymore.  Started throwing up and couldn't stop.  All sorts of tests, no doctor could figure it out..  SHOCKING 😐   So I stopped eating and started with one food at a time.  Crazy..  

• Posted

I eat only fish .but once a year I eat a little steak.been vegetarian is healthy.anyway I was trying to private message you a link to a share of the Medications autistic people /children can take.but is not letting me.anyhow celexa wasn't listed .Prozac and zoolof where.

• Posted

Ok will do 👍

By the way..  I've had to up his pot 3 times on what I was giving him.  

He's struggling..

• Posted

Child autism parent ?   Is that the one?
    • Posted

You should print that chart and show it to idiot....
    • Posted

The bad stuff is starting coming down from the three!!
    • Posted

I guess or is it a combo?  He's bugging out.  Pacing twitching crying angry wide awake even after giving him more pot than ever, OCD bad! 

• Posted

And my boyfriend wanted me to drop him to 5mgs like now.  We are having family over tomorrow.   

I don't see this kid falling asleep.  

• Posted

That is your decision only to drop him to five .I'm thinking can he get any worst.hmmm

• Posted

I gave him enough pot to knock out a horse..  he's totally bugging out.  Eyes all bugged.  Keeps walking out the front door and it's nighttime and freezing.  

Tonight for the first time in a year I was going to go out with friends

• Posted

Happy Thanksgiving Lois.  I remember a year ago going out for a  walk being so thankful and grateful and lucky.  This year...  it's opposite.  I dread today.  So scared.  Last night was real bad and I'm having a house full of family and I'm doing all the cooking.  I hope I don't have any problems with him today.  

?He is def still over medicated plus the added withdrawals is making him a mess.  I wanted to build a safe room and keep him in there until this gets better, but my bf didn't want to do it.  

?I have my little puppy next to me now and just enjoying the peace and quiet before the storm begins.  

?Enjoy your puppy and your husband today..  you have so much to be thankful for and I'm thankful for you coming into my life and giving me hope and direction.  

• Posted

The safe room sounds like a wonderful idea.but it also sounds like that horrible hospital you don't want to take him to.you know what's best for your son only you...xo

• Posted

Hello hand wringing, face twitching, pacing crazy and moaning.   So happy to see you ....  NOT!!!

Lois, this does go away right?

• Posted

My pacing /my hand wringing/ my eye twitching.all went away.is just a waiting game . because they work so slow.it was a scary situation for me .but I knew it was the celexa..so I held on ......
    • Posted

That is very scary!  I can't imagine not having any control.  

And that went away after getting off of 20mgs?  

How was your Thanksgiving?  I got lucky.  His anxiety got better around 3:30pm and dinner was as 4pm.  My parents came over, my bf's daughter and his son lives with is.   Then it was weird, Brooks went upstairs laid on my bed and started falling asleep around 5pm.  Well I don't want him to be up all night so I got him up and the boom back came the anxiety?

What was your day like?  Friends?  Family?

• Posted

Yes my madness did go away slowly .one day good next second sad next hour irratated next wringing my hands and so on.but It finally disappeared.my thanks giving was yummy.just me hubby n pup.
    • Posted

But I thought your hand wringing was from too high of a dose.  The more time goes on, the worse all his symptoms seem to get.   
    • Posted

You have to remember his also going thru withdrawal.my hand wringing did developed with higher dose.but I still had it on lower dose.pretty sure I was also suffering from withdrawal of the other ssris plus the lowering of the celexa.
    • Posted

Hand wringing is a sign of been anxious brought on by anxiety.or distress..I had both.
    • Posted

You know you have two different opinions from two different doctors.does that chart about meds for autism.make a difference?do you think the five milligrams will do.or should you keep him on ten .and wait.everytime you change dose is like starting again.unfortunately.
    • Posted

It will be 9 months on Dec 1st.   This HAS TO end soon.   It has to.  14 days after he was on 10mgs last month he has zero anxiety from the moment he woke up to the moment went to bed, if that means anything.   
    • Posted

The only reason I went back up was due to his withdrawals.   It's only been  4 days, but no brain zaps = no seizures and he's slept so far.   It's just the anxiety.   That seems to keep getting worse as time goes on.   When do you think that extra 3mgs will be out of him?

• Posted

Remember this Medication makes his already anxiety worst before he gets better..and him taking three other meds.pot /zyprexa/lithium.plays a roll also on his recovery.most people on these forums are taking only one antidepressant of any type.and him been autistic and not able to communicate with you.is hard to actually know how he is feeling.
    • Posted

His current doctor I just don't have faith in.  Just using him for the scripts.  That doctor he saw once was confident with 5 of Celexa and just started the Lithium.  He didn't comment on Zyprexa.   I wanted him off of Zyprexa.  He has to stablize at some point, I want him off of the Zyprexa.   Long term it causes Parkinson's like disease.  

• Posted

On ten I still had side effects.just keep him in that ten at least his sleeping .imagine if he didn't sleep.and his having some good moments.from what you have told me.give that those at least a month because it may be that dose is good for him.

• Posted

Oh no.so zyprexa is on its way out.do you have to wean off of that also.?
    • Posted

I can't take this anymore.   It's getting to all of us.  This started in Aug.  I will take ur advice.  Ur the only intelligent one I have ?.  

We haven't been able to breathe ourselves in this house.  It's always drama from this mess.  Lois, it'll be 9 months!  He hasn't had good moments like all the rest of u had.  

• Posted

Remember that lithium and celexa has major interaction when taking together.
    • Posted

Is that the reason the doctor that gave you the lithium and told you to give him five milligrams of celexa because he perhaps knew of the interactions which may cause serotonin syndrome.could it be why he said to drop him to 5.?
    • Posted

Is that the interaction concern?  The SS?  I asked his current doctor if his serotonin level can be checked when he gets his blood test 2mrw, his doctor said he doesn't need it.   I hate ignorance!  

• Posted

If the Lithium goes up..  shouldn't the Celexa go down?   

• Posted

He's on 150 mgs of

Lithium two times a day.  So this mean I cant increase the Lithium.  

Not touching Zyprexa until he's stable.  Not keeping him on that.   It was used to help stabilize him until the correct meds were found for him.  This is how incompetent his doctor is.   He wanted him on 20mgs of Celexa, wants to increase his Lithium and possibly kill him with SS.   

Wow..  Lois I need a plan.   

• Posted

Lois, should I stop the Lithium?   But if he is manic, wouldn't he need that?

• Posted

Yes that's one of the issues it's supposed to resolve.

• Posted

I'm going for his blood test 2mrw and see what his doc says.  Going keep him on 10mgs and reassess in 2 weeks.  Hopefully he gets a little bit better 🙏     

Love ya Lois ?. You've been great..

• Posted

How long do you think it'll take to get that 3mgs out of him?

• Posted

Two weeks maybe three.i know chemically is shorter..like in days .but in the brain is way longer.
    • Posted

Ok, thank you for clearing that up for me.   Everyone goes by the body and not the brain time.  
    • Posted

I don't know why the doctor's don't warn you about the brain.the brain is what got us here in the first place.

• Posted

You would think that's the first thing they would think about is the brain considering that's their specialty.  

I may take him next Sat for the blood test instead of 2mrw.  It's like not I'm giving him any increase in the Lithium.

• Posted

Good morning 🌞 Lois.

I called his pharmacist and spoke to him about SS.  He said it mostly happens during the onset of a dose increase.   He has so many problems right now, and I have no intention on having his Lithium increased at this time, too much going on that I wouldn't know what's what.  

My bf who I can't do anything without because he's my muscle had to leave at 11am.   I rescheduled his blood test, and i'll reschedule his docs appointment too.   Nothing he can do at this time.   

Something new that's been happening.  At around 5:30pm every day in the last week or two starts his severe anxiety along with the anger and violence.  Nine months and I'm still dealing with this.  This has been the worse ride and I can't wait to get off!  If I survive, that'll be a miracle.  

• Posted

So the anger anxiety and violence use to happen at a different time .?now is happening I n the late afternoon?
    • Posted

I have no clue!!!   It wasn't like that before.  It was always he mornings.  And this is after he has all his meds and pot to calm him down.   It's like nothing gets past the power of whatever Celexa is doing to his brain. 

This was every now and then here and there but it's been since I lowered it to ten.  

• Posted

Yes unfortunately that sounds like withdrawal ..side effects..I had erratic anxietys.with the exception of violence thru out my 8months .on a continuous dose.he has been thru major drug dosages.plus a new one added.so because his all over the place .it's a big possibility that the meds are stabilizing.do you think his Still suffering from the anesthesia mania?

• Posted

Lois, my mom just told me he did that last Friday and last Sunday.  Then he did that Wed, Thurs and last night.  So maybe it has nothing to do with withdrawals.  It's really scary for me because I'm always alone with him at that time.  Every person here says the same thing..  that the worst part is waking up in the morning and dealing with that anxiety.  But his morning anxiety during those days went away within an hour and hell starts around 5:30 - 6pm.  

• Posted

My anxiety cycle from mornings to afternoons.that cycling lasted long time .I say months.
    • Posted

My main objective was that I got relieve .didn't matter if it was in the morning or afternoon.thank god that he sleeps.because imagine if he wasn't able to never sleep.like me😔.I sleep now.but for along time my sleep less nights cause more anxiety.

• Posted

Lois, that's is the pot thankfully he is able to get that keeps him asleep.  He has been sleeping for almost 15 hours now lol.  I call these morning a vacation!  

So you think it is just the meds working?

• Posted

I'm praying that's the case.. because some people don't have any of that yuckiness.like my sister.so she jump from one ssri to the other eventually not taking anything because she felt nothing .no side effects no withdrawal.no benefits.unlike my mother who didn't have startup side effects but she did feel the benefits.and still is 20 years later.same milligrams 10.

• Posted

So tired of this.   Every single day him waking up pacing babbling twitching grinding teeth and having that feeling of hopelessness.  

Groundhog Day  😢

• Posted

I personally don't think this dose is right for him.  Not saying the med isn't right, but too much time has gone by and he gets worse each day.  Never  better.  Just that one day Oct 30th.  

• Posted

OMG my family wants me to bite the bullet.  I'm too scared.  I get the whole thing of recovery, but he really gets progressive worse as time goes on.   I can't explain why he had that one day anxiety free.   That doesn't make sense.  I wish you were here ...  in the states so we could text instead of being on

Here.  

I'm sorry..  I'm grateful you listen to me. We are a week shy of 9 months..  just tired of living scared.  Not knowing what's right and what's wrong.   

I did want to tell you that his sleeping late enabled me to decorate the house inside and out for Christmas 🎄.   I took advantage of the mold temps today.  

I know Lois...   I hear you in my head to give it another week or two 

• Posted

MILD TEMPS NOT MOLD 😂 

• Posted

Yes remember his going to go backwards again when you reduce or he may not..don't panic.if he does.

• Posted

He's been going backwards for weeks and months now 

• Posted

Ok you read my mind now?   I didn't know what you meant..  we'll sort of.  I figured that.  

When are you coming back to the US?

• Posted

Hey Lois...  I hope you enjoyed the rest of the holiday wknd smile .  A bit of a confusing wknd.  Sat after sleeping like 15 hours, he fell back to sleep about 5 hours after he woke up and slept till 11:30am Sunday morning.  Crazy huh?  It was soooooooo peaceful and I got so much done in the house.  I needed that break very badly.  So yeah that was strange, then he was really good, the old Brooks came out yesterday laughing and eating and just truly happy.  I was shocked.  This morning he was great, this afternoon great day at school, then after school boom anxiety severe violence just really  crazy.  Very strange.  

​Does that make sense?  

• Posted

Absolutely.those so called strange happenings .means the meds are working.i think his making progress.thats how it is JoJo.
    • Posted

Geez Lois..  don't get me wrong for a second.  I am very happy he's having progress..   but it'll be 9 months.  When will the insanity end?  Yesterday was amazing!!!  And even this morning..  his old self laughing and skipping and eating normal.  I actually felt that he gained maybe 2 lbs back so far smile

?I rescheduled his blood test and doc's appointment for 2 weeks from now.  Lois, because he's been I guess more relaxed with the extra pot, and all that sleeping he got this past wknd..  what a great wknd I had.  I haven't been able to say that in probably a year.  Now how sad is that?  

?That's also why I haven't chatted, been able to get so much work done around here.  Cleaned out the basement, picked up the leaves, decorated inside and outside for Christmas, cooking, laundry, etc.  Not exciting but it felt real good.  He's been in a crisis for close to a year now.  

• Posted

That is wonderful you got a break.but remember is been nine months..but not on a consistent dose.just keep that in mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.