Ticklish neck but no-one is tickling me

Posted , 40 users are following.

I know this sounds like a crazy condition but I'm dying to know why it happens. I have found NO ONE who has this condition and absolutely no help online.

I'm extremely ticklish on my neck to where if someone tickles my neck or lightly touches it, or even if anything brushes up against it, I go into flail mode and practically punch the perpetrator. I know that is not totally abnormal. It's what happens afterwards that is.

Usually the same night as being tickled (but not every time) I will go to sleep fine but wake up in a ticklish fit every few minutes or even a few seconds. This continues all night or at least until I wake for an hour or two. It probably doesn't happen but every few months when someone or something tickles or touches my neck (or even if I dream it). Each fit (or whatever it is) lasts a fraction of a second but, like I said, it repeats over and over again all night. I have had this as long as I can remember and refer to it as "tickle neck". My mother has an extremely sensitive neck but has none of the night issues.

Background info:

I am a 41 year old female in good health. I have no mental health issues. I was diagnosed with epilepsy 12 years or so ago because of 2 grand mals within a year. I am on lamotrigine and have only possible auras every couple months since then. My neurologist looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell him the tickle neck problem and smiles a little condescendingly saying he does not think think it is related at all to my seizures. Besides, I have had these as long as I can remember, way before the grand mals. 

Is there a name for this condition? Why does no one seem to have this same problem? It is so debilitating and draining the nights I have it, that it often brings me to tears. Any way to cure it? 😓

Thank you!

Leslie Ann

3 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have the same problem and I found out what was the problem. One day I was sleeping and in the middle of the night I started feel this sensation. It was driving me crazy. It was horrible, nothing could touch my neck, even the wind.  Then after a MRI, the doctor found out I had a problem with my neck, something to do with the nerve or the bones that were very tight and bending. They recommended me physical therapy, massages, exercises etc...now i feel better but if i quit or sleep in a bed position for long time, it comes back. 
    • Posted

Wow, that's great you figured it out! Did a neurologist recommend an MRI? Wonder if I would have the same thing. I have discovered quick, albeit temporary fix when I get it in the night. I have to turn lights on and just proceed with stuff I would do in the day, like laundry or something. I think the lights help. But when I tried to go back to sleep, it came back. I could tell it was still sensitive but thought I would try to go back to sleep anyway...so, try that and see if it helps. Totally random I know...

• Posted

Yes, i saw a neuro and i also had a couple of tests to see if i had something else. Yes, during the night its worst. And the mattress matters too. If you sleep bad you will experience bad stuff. 
    • Posted

Well that’s what I do when it comes to me I just get out of the bed and start doing chores or whatever I don’t sit or lie down like I can’t lie down I just try to do something or other sad 
  • Posted

Wow so maybe this issue with the others that have it also maybe . So you had a mri it showed that ? Well may the others in here have that should have mri slso . Thank god they did that and found out the cause . Maybe with more therapy it will go away ? What about aqupun?
  • Posted

I'm having the same problem! It started last week. I woke up this morning from with it and it went away. It came back right now so I decided to Google it and came across this. I feel like I am being tickled on my neck but no one is tickling me. It was weird at first but now I am more aware of it and is annoying. Gonna keep track of this and see my PCP soon if it continues.

• Posted

I have a similar problem. its currently 2:35 am, May 5, 2019. I am very ticklish around my neck. mainly near where my shoulder meets my neck around the carotid area. I can push on the area and I'm fine. but if someone else does it, im in the floor. But I have been having the issue at night where it feels like someone is touching the area and I can not sleep. I generally have to move my color from the t-shirt or take the shirt off completely to get any relief. And its usually on my right side. I have not gone to a neurologist and I keep on forgetting to tell my primary. But, I have worked in the healthcare industry for over 10 years starting off as an emt and working my way up. Anyway, I honestly feel that mine is due to anxiety. I was having an anxiety attack just prior to the tickle. As stated earlier, if I move my shirt or remove it, it helps but no always. Case in point tonight. I have moved my colar and removed my shirt. It did alleviate the sensation quite a bit but not completely. I can still feel alittle pressure and tickle. But I think mine is due to anxiety but I am not going to rule out a neurological problem like a pinched nerve or something of that nature. I can usually breath my way out of an anxiety attack with 4-7-8 breathing or by using guided imagery. But there are times that even that is not enough and generally that's when I get the tickle and it's mainly at night. but I have gotten it during the day as well.

• Posted

Yes, it is super frustrating. When I'm having "tickle neck" at night even breathing can bring it back. My neurologist kind of made me feel silly even asking about it. I don't think its anxiety for me but I'm not sure. It only happens at night after either someone touched me on the neck and triggered it or even I'll dream someone did. It's happened as long as I can remember. Hope yours got better!

• Posted

If you have an MRI you can find the reason. Give it a try. Nobody deserves to live like that. But if you cant do it now, i recommend you to stretch many times a day and practice an exercise, so your nerves will get loose and your muscles will relax. They are probably too tight

• Posted

could be the nerve damage maybe? some thing to do with the nerves system so what is the doctor saying?

• Posted

OKAY BUT the same thing happens to me but like my lower back? left side near my kidney. i'm so ticklish there but i haven't touched it. i haven't slept in 2 days i was just crying.

i don't know how to explain to the doctors

i'm 15

• Posted

My doctor seemed to think I was kind of silly asking about it. Mine happens pretty infrequently that I haven't bothered doing any further than posting it on here to see if anyone else has this same problem. See if you can determine what triggered it. Then the doctor might have something to go on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.