Ticklish neck but no-one is tickling me

Posted , 40 users are following.

I know this sounds like a crazy condition but I'm dying to know why it happens. I have found NO ONE who has this condition and absolutely no help online.

I'm extremely ticklish on my neck to where if someone tickles my neck or lightly touches it, or even if anything brushes up against it, I go into flail mode and practically punch the perpetrator. I know that is not totally abnormal. It's what happens afterwards that is.

Usually the same night as being tickled (but not every time) I will go to sleep fine but wake up in a ticklish fit every few minutes or even a few seconds. This continues all night or at least until I wake for an hour or two. It probably doesn't happen but every few months when someone or something tickles or touches my neck (or even if I dream it). Each fit (or whatever it is) lasts a fraction of a second but, like I said, it repeats over and over again all night. I have had this as long as I can remember and refer to it as "tickle neck". My mother has an extremely sensitive neck but has none of the night issues.

Background info:

I am a 41 year old female in good health. I have no mental health issues. I was diagnosed with epilepsy 12 years or so ago because of 2 grand mals within a year. I am on lamotrigine and have only possible auras every couple months since then. My neurologist looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell him the tickle neck problem and smiles a little condescendingly saying he does not think think it is related at all to my seizures. Besides, I have had these as long as I can remember, way before the grand mals. 

Is there a name for this condition? Why does no one seem to have this same problem? It is so debilitating and draining the nights I have it, that it often brings me to tears. Any way to cure it? 😓

Thank you!

Leslie Ann

3 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i have this. i Google it every time it happens. this is my first time finding a hint.

36/m healthy

• Posted

when i experience mine it feels like a stranger comes up to me and rubs a finger or feather up the middle of my back. i have literally checked my place to see if someone is playing a joke on me.

only happens in bed. laying any position. i sleep on my side.

• Posted

Yes! I googled it for years and never found anything so I decided to just post about it. It is pure torture when it is happening. does yours keep you up all night?

• Posted

I have that issue too when i wear a tight fitting shirt and polo the colar is tickling.

• Posted

I have this same problem. I am 27 years old and ive had this problem since i was a kid. As far as i can remember it started with dreams or more like nightmares where it always involved someone or something tickling me and id wake up terrified with a very bad ticklish feeling at the sides of my neck and shoulders. I get this feeling when I lay down to sleep and sometimes during the day. whenever I get this feeling I pinch and squeeze the parts of my neck and shoulders where I get the ticklish feeling and when I go to sleep I hold my neck and thats when I am able to sleep. I never tried to see what it was since I thought I was the only one to have this issue with my neck and thought that it was just a bad habit of mine.

• Posted

I know!! I get it from dreams too! It's nice to know I'm not alone! I found sometimes if I try like a turtle neck it helps to make it not so bad during the night. But it does kind of help to pinch it. It is exhausting though!

• Edited

i thought im the only one... i have the same problem. my neck is super ticklish.. so annoying. i have this since when i was like 8 or 9 years old. im 40 now. this is not happening all the time but just when im busy like working, using my both hands. I remember when i was in elementary school i was member of the choir at school . just singing and standing ... that time i could feel the sensitivity of my neck specially the right side.

last week i felt horrible because i was feeling while working. it was very difficult. i hate it.

• Edited

It's terrible isn't it? My mom kind of has it, but not as bad as I do. we need to start a "tickle-neck" club!

• Posted

Hi guys I'm not gonna bore you with the details since we have the same condition, so mine just recently started, during covid19 level 3, well I do feel a very mild ticklish during the day but it gets worse at night, like as I am texting now it's 3:00 in the morning, I'm still trying to catch some sleepy, luckily I don't have to wake up early for work, don't you all have atleast Whatsapp group, where we can constantly chart about this, maybe once we can get to learn about each other, we can find 1 thing that we have in common that might be the cause of all this

• Edited

I'm not sure I can put any identifying information on this site. I think I did a long time ago and they deleted it.

• Posted

hello...im facing the same situation,mine is not so severe as to where u cant sleep but without placing my hands on both side of the neck i cant fall aslee bcos ifeel lk somone is tickling me.well it happens everynight and somtimes day times too.i thought it was not a big deal,i decided to browse it today.im glad im not alone.

• Posted

It's awful isn't it? I'm not sure there are really any answers but yes, it is nice to know there are other people going through it too. Welcome to the club!🤣😂

• Posted

Please let me know if you have figured anything out. My neck has been so ticklish/sensitive that it is intrusive on my life. One of my first bosses grabbed my neck (in a friendly gesture to get my attention about an order), but my shoulders raised up and my body went stiff. I went down, cracking my head hard against the oven behind me. I think this may have to do with a lot more, though, as I can't tolerate touch well either.

Anything physical is tickles or pain, there is no in between.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and I'm looking at this like it is hypersensitivity. I was born 3 months early, my lungs collapsed multiple times, so I'm sure it is a neurological sensory issue. If you find anything that has helped, please let me know! I'm dying to have a hug that doesn't overwhelm me or leave me in a crumpled heap on the ground.

• Posted

I have had the tickle neck my whole life. It's gotten worse as I have aged. Hits the worst at night, but sometimes in the day too. So glad I found this discussion. I thought I was the only one. I have had neck issues including surgery for injuries sustained to my neck, and have had many head injuries so I have some neurological problems too. I'm about to get another neck surgery and noticed it has gotten worse recently. I find myself laying my hand or a blanket on it to try to calm it down or distract myself from it. I'm also curious of the cause. Thanks for your post.

• Edited

Even i am facing this issue! Not only at night but this happens to me constantly throughout the day. I have dust allergy but i don't know if that matters.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.